Griefing - Is it OK?

Ctrl-Alt-Elite

Jan 22, 2009
People who take games WAAAAY to seriously are strange imo... ur fighting off a cloud of 1s and 0s WHY are u geting pissed off :D

Miles Tormani

Jul 30, 2008
Ctrl-Alt-Elite said:
People who take games WAAAAY to seriously are strange imo... ur fighting off a cloud of 1s and 0s WHY are u geting pissed off :D
It's because that cold unfeeling series of ones and zeros is beating my organic self-aware... self. :<

It's also very satisfying to play kamikaze in an FPS when the team balancing is clearly broken. Like skill 50 vs. skill 5 broken, and you're on the skill 5 side. Especially if the other team keeps calling you an idiot despite the fact that your kamikaze tactics mean you're winning.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Eipok Kruden said:
oliveira8 said:
Eipok Kruden said:
KoRn_Leader said:
Eipok Kruden said:
You need to redefine "griefing" since griefing in EVE isn't the use or abuse of a game mechanic that was not intended by the game's developers, nor is it the inability of the victim to exact some means of retribution beyond utilizing similar unintended game mechanics. In EVE, griefing is when a player or group of players needlessly harass and attack others for the sole reason of it being enjoyable for them. Piracy and thieving are not griefing in EVE as they are for personal gain. I think griefing in the way you described it is wrong, but griefing like in EVE is not.
You've realy got a boner for big spaceships dont ya?
Um... I was just saying EVE since I don't know much about griefing in any other game.
Some examples of griefing: Counter-Strike: Source: blocking your line of fire or flash bomb spam.

World of Warcraft: Kill healers/tanks while they fighting bosses, waiting for a player to cut his way to a mine/treasure box just get it while he fights the last boss.
That's not hacking or exploiting the game, that's just exploiting others for your own personal gain.
That's why he said 'Griefing', not 'Hacking'. It's being a dick to your fellow player.

I have no problem with, say on WoW, Alliance griefing Horde (or vice versa) on a PvP server. But on a PvE server, or griefing your own faction? That's just not right. Only do it if they have a way to 'get even'.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Danzaivar said:
That's why he said 'Griefing', not 'Hacking'. It's being a dick to your fellow player.

I have no problem with, say on WoW, Alliance griefing Horde (or vice versa) on a PvP server. But on a PvE server, or griefing your own faction? That's just not right. Only do it if they have a way to 'get even'.
"The use or abuse of a game mechanic that was not intended by the game's developers.

The inability of the victim to exact some means of retribution beyond utilizing similar unintended game mechanics."

I have a problem with that. I do not have a problem with people attacking other players, innocent or otherwise. I feel that if someone doesn't want something like that to happen, they should protect themselves. They should take precautions. If someone gets "griefed," it's their fault for not taking those precautions.

Also, if the victim can't fight back, they have no one to blame but themselves.

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
I think that if you like griefing others, you should be able to accept everyone else acting the same way you are. If you are acting a certain way, or have a certain attitude, you should be able to accept it if others act the same.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Eipok Kruden said:
Danzaivar said:

"The use or abuse of a game mechanic that was not intended by the game's developers.

The inability of the victim to exact some means of retribution beyond utilizing similar unintended game mechanics."

I have a problem with that. I do not have a problem with people attacking other players, innocent or otherwise. I feel that if someone doesn't want something like that to happen, they should protect themselves. They should take precautions. If someone gets "griefed," it's their fault for not taking those precautions.

Also, if the victim can't fight back, they have no one to blame but themselves.
The use or abuse of a game mechanic that was not intended by the game's developers.

The inability of the victim to exact some means of retribution beyond utilizing similar unintended game mechanics.

The intended purpose of an act of griefing must be to negatively impact the gameplay of another person.

Whether you have a problem with it or not doesn't change what griefing means. If it was just exploiting game mechanics then we'd call it 'hacking' or 'exploiting'. Please don't selectively quote OP's criteria to make it look like I'm talking out my rear end. :p

I agree with you that ultimately in any game, if you get griefed it's because you didn't do enough to prevent it...but it can (and does) ruin the player-bases attitude towards one another and the in-game atmosphere can end up worse off for it.

Then again, you don't get that with EVE from what I hear simply because if you go around raiding a member of a corporation, their guildies will make your in-game life a living hell. It's a shame that eternally flying about in a ship bores me to tears, the system behind it all sounds pretty damn fun.

jatrina

Mar 20, 2008
I don't like griefing, but I have to admit that it still sometimes makes me giggle when it's friends abusing each other for fun. Makes more sense when I post the full thought!

GBlair88

Jan 10, 2009
You like annoying people but hate it when it's being done to you? You're just a hypocrite then.

And why do you need the ability to change your IP address? It's usually something cheaters use because they're too useless at a game to play it properly.

UpcountryGecko

Oct 19, 2008
I have a mixed opinion on griefing, sure it is funny when it happens to someone else - just look at the popularity of the team roomba tf2 griefing videos - but when you are the victim of a griefer then it really takes the fun away from the game.

WaterSnake

Mar 24, 2009
UpcountryGecko said:
I have a mixed opinion on griefing, sure it is funny when it happens to someone else - just look at the popularity of the team roomba tf2 griefing videos - but when you are the victim of a griefer then it really takes the fun away from the game.
I'm pretty sure those are scripted. On normal server they'd just be banned for doing that kinda stuff. But when it's those teleporters to nowhere, that's ok, because you can just choose not to take those teleporters next time. When it's the whole "can't leave spawn" thing, then it's crossed the line.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Danzaivar said:
Then again, you don't get that with EVE from what I hear simply because if you go around raiding a member of a corporation, their guildies will make your in-game life a living hell. It's a shame that eternally flying about in a ship bores me to tears, the system behind it all sounds pretty damn fun.
I can understand how griefing can be detrimental to the community in a game like WoW, but I still believe that it isn't wrong. Maybe it's just because I'm more used to EVE.

The EVE community polices itself, to an extent. It allows more freedom, but it also makes the players more responsible for everything that happens to them. And yes, what you described is exactly what happens. If an employee betrays his own corporation, he will be destroyed -- both financially and physically. Most of the larger corporations have their own internal security divisions and most industrial corporations have a mercenary corp on call. There are also quite a few bounty hunters. Essentially, they would be griefers in WoW, but they get paid by players to kill other players and make their lives hell in EVE.

Ultimately, I think every MMO should adopt a system at least something like EVE's. If people stick to secure space, the ingame police will protect them, at least if their ship is destroyed or they are killed without reason. CONCORD responds very quickly and is nigh impossible to defeat. In fact, they are so powerful that figuring out a way to survive their wrath is considered a bannable offense. So, as long as someone has good insurance or has a good corporation behind them (which every pilot should anyway), they will be fine as criminals will be shot on sight by both CONCORD and the military of whatever empire controls that space. Also, outside of secure empire space is 0.0 space. In 0.0 space, player controlled alliances can set up stations and defenses. Their turret grids can be set to fire upon all pilots that do not belong to the Alliance in control. This means that some of the better policed parts of 0.0 space are actually safer for members of the Alliance that controls them than secure space is for other people.

Hopefully, everyone here knows where I'm coming from by now.