Grim Dawn Arrives On Steam Early Access

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Grim Dawn Arrives On Steam Early Access

Grim Dawn, the action-RPG being developed by veterans of Titan Quest studio Iron Lore, is now available through Steam Early Access.

Long ago, in the strange, dark days before Kickstarter became a thing, Crate Entertainment did something unusual: It announced that it had a new game in the works and asked fans to Kickstarter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97673-Former-Titan-Quest-Devs-Seek-Support-for-New-Game] party itself in April 2012, earning more than $537,000 in the process - nearly double its goal.

Fast-forward to today and Grim Dawn is now a game that you can actually buy and play, albeit in an incomplete state, thanks to Steam Early Access. Crate says the game is "relatively polished" and "very playable," but lacking in content; the first act, representing roughly one-third of the game, is available now but "significant content" and some features, including multiplayer, are not yet ready.

"Grim Dawn is a passion project by a small team of experienced developers. Please be aware that we do our best to maintain a stable, enjoyable experience but because the game is in active development and things are constantly changing, problems do sometimes arise," the studio warned. "You may also find that our pace of development is not as fast as larger teams. If you're looking for a polished gameplay experience right now and / or would be upset by delayed releases or slow updates, then you'd probably be happier waiting for the final release."

Grim Dawn will sell for $29.99 at launch but is available through Early Access at a ten percent discount, dropping it to $26.99. It's been a long time coming and there's a lot more left to do but I like what I've seen of it so far, and the guys at Crate have demonstrated a remarkable commitment to the project and an admirable refusal to rush it out the door before it's ready. More information about the game can be found at grimdawn.com [http://www.grimdawn.com/index.php].

Source: Steam Early Access [http://store.steampowered.com/app/219990/]

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Has anyone played this to see if its any good? I would love to find a new ARPG, but the last one I tried (Path of exile)was shit so I'm wary of dropping almost thirty bucks on this.

romanator0

Jun 3, 2011
major_chaos said:
Has anyone played this to see if its any good? I would love to find a new ARPG, but the last one I tried (Path of exile)was shit so I'm wary of dropping almost thirty bucks on this.
I haven't tried it but I believe the price is supposed to go down to $20 when it releases.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
romanator0 said:
major_chaos said:
I haven't tried it but I believe the price is supposed to go down to $20 when it releases.
The price goes UP to $30 when it's done. I'll be getting this when it's done. Titan Quest was for the most part quite excellent so I have faith that these guys will make a good game here.

Sep 14, 2009
oh the beauty of kickstarter in the longrun, i completely forgot i had funded this, thank you me from the past :D

but really, this is looking to be great, hopefully path of exile doesn't satisfy my whole need for arpg's when this comes out.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
I was actually looking at this just yesterday on Steam's store and watched the trailer there. It looks like every other aRPG ever. Which honestly, I'm bored of. Not to say it'll be bad, it's just the same shit. If you enjoy that shit, you'll probably enjoy this, but personally I want a different flavour of shit.

Strawberry, maybe.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
major_chaos said:
If you liked Titan Quest then you'll love this.

The general level progression is similar with 5 classes and the ability to cross-class between two of them.

Setting is Victorian post-apocalyptic, rather Torchlight 2ish but realistic so no lugging massive cannons about (that I know of).

Plot is a little different, with two different inter-planar forces arriving both at each others throats. One sees humans as a potential resource (ie new bodies to possess) and the other is attempting resource denial. You start out in an old prison and can fortify it as you progress.

EDIT: Redone with a keyboard, yeesh I suck at typing on a phone

romanator0

Jun 3, 2011
Stryc9 said:
romanator0 said:
major_chaos said:
The price goes UP to $30 when it's done. I'll be getting this when it's done. Titan Quest was for the most part quite excellent so I have faith that these guys will make a good game here.
Well the game can't go up to $30 since that's what it costs already, although I guess the $20 release price might have been hearsay as I can't find anywhere that says that's what it will be.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
major_chaos said:
I'd recommend Titan Quest, but since it switched over from THQ, the new publisher pegged the gold pack at 20 bucks. It's, honestly, the best Diablo Clone I've played, but, that could partially due to my tastes and preferences. Though, the next time it goes on sale, I would say, snap that up. There is a demo, though. So you can take a stab at it with that, if you want. Though, the demo doesn't show you that you can pick any two classes, one at level 2 and one at 8. (You have access to both, and the game generates a new class name based on your choices.)

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Not sure if I should get it now or wait until it's done. The price drop isn't exactly staggering and I already got a huge backlog.
On the other hand I've been yearning for this game ever since I first saw it. After the fiasco of D3 I wanted it even more.

Ack ack ack ack. So torn.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
romanator0 said:
Stryc9 said:
romanator0 said:
major_chaos said:
Well the game can't go up to $30 since that's what it costs already, although I guess the $20 release price might have been hearsay as I can't find anywhere that says that's what it will be.
Andy Chalk said:
Grim Dawn will sell for $29.99 at launch but is available through Early Access at a ten percent discount, dropping it to $26.99. It's been a long time coming and there's a lot more left to do but I like what I've seen of it so far, and the guys at Crate have demonstrated a remarkable commitment to the project and an admirable refusal to rush it out the door before it's ready. More information about the game can be found at grimdawn.com [http://www.grimdawn.com/index.php].