Gritty Fan Film Turns Mario Into a Wheelchair-Bound Junkie

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Gritty Fan Film Turns Mario Into a Wheelchair-Bound Junkie

In this short film, the Mushroom Kingdom is just a fantasy, and being a hero is harder than it looks.

New York-based creative troupe, Captain Hippo [http://captainhippo.com/about/], has reinterpreted everyone's favorite videogame plumbers into the protagonists of a dark and violent drama set on the mean streets of Boston.

The film, called simply The Plumber, has a similar concept to There Will Be Brawl [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/there-will-be-brawl ], which appeared on The Escapist back in 2009, but takes it in a different direction.

The Plumber ditches the fantasy elements - turning them into drug induced hallucinations - and sets the action firmly in the real world. Luigi is a simple plumber just trying to get by and support his brother Mario, who is a mentally handicapped drug addict. Peach is a call girl, and Bowser is a vicious thug who breaks the hands of people who cross him. Captain Hippo presents the piece as a trailer for a longer film, although it's doubtful that's really the case.

It's a heck of a lot better than the actual Super Mario Bros. movie - not that that's very hard - and well worth a watch. There's some strong language though, so if you're at work, it might be worth waiting until there's no one else in the office.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/#!5768920/when-marios-a-drug-addict-luigi-has-to-pick-up-the-slack]

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Better than the actual Mario Bros. movie is a matter of opinion.

I love that film to be honest.
It's awesome in that bad way.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Wow. Well thought through, well executed; they've done an ace job. The "the game is all in Mario's head" thing is brilliant.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
That was quite good to be honest.
With a bit more time and some cash, who knows?

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
"He's a plumber, and a secret pianist!" That line did get me :D

I have to say though, alot of it is sort of...There will Be Brawlish, or that other thing that made Mario into a druggie and was very There Will Be Brawlish. Why is Peach always wearing an overcoat and a hooker in these things?

I do like how it puts Luigi in the spotlight though. I hate the way Nintendo have taken his character. I mean, he fought Bowswer in the first three games too, he's no more of a coward then Mario is.

Aug 25, 2009
Would anyone else watch this is if it were a full length film or short tv show?

I know I would, it's a perfect setup for a real film noir (which I love), and it could even have the slightest hints of El Mariachi coming through as well.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Although Drug references and Mario have been done to death I cannot help loving this video.

KoDOmega

Nov 22, 2009
TWBB for life. This was good, in a "riff on The Fighter" kind of way, but TWBB for life.

Also... BOSTON? Who sets a Mario parody in BOSTON? I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a fine town (and can't wait for PAX East) but Mario's a NEW YORK plumber. This... this is just odd, especially coming from a New York-based troupe...

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
The only thing I could suggest they improve is Luigi's little assault on that guy who called Mario a retard...it didn't look right. Other than that, yes, I would pay to see this.

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
This was pretty interesting, but I think that Luigi should have been more vicious when he attacked that guy for insulting Mario. I think the premise is pretty good, and would make a solid film.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
One more guy mentioning the assault. I was half hoping for him to knock him on the ground and jump on him.

But you guys had TWBB, you could fund another, right?

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
I would love to see this movie it looks very interesting seeing a gritty version of Mario with Luigi being the hero

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Now that is how it should be done // No fantasy worlds, no cartoonie acting // Just the real world with all it's problems& a hit of the game mix in // Really well done

-M

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I'd respect it more if the same basic premise/joke hadn't been retreaded so many times. Mario as an addict because he uses mushrooms in the game to "power up". Various mushrooms being a recreational "drug" that can bring on hallucinations IRL. We've had fan comics, skits, live action movies, and cartoons all using the same basic joke.

I mean it's well made and all, and in a differant style, but to really get points from me I think something needs a unique spin on making fun of the Mario characters, or at least one that isn't so obvious and retreaded nowadays. Even if Mario isn't literally addicted to Mushrooms it's like hearing a joke you've already heard for like the 200th time.

That's just my opinion, it's not that the skit is bad (it's not in any objective sense) just nothing special as the material itself ruins it by being overused.