Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Kopikatsu said:
Imp Emissary said:
Paz (the girl in the camp) is apparently in her 20s. However, there is child rape.
After she is raped by her capters in front of another prisoner, Chico, who is 13. They then force him to rape her. Saying that if he doesn't, he'll be next.
It's worth mentioning that in Japan, age of consent is 13.

So there (Where Kojima is from, natch), it's not underage rape. Just normal rape.
It is true that 13 is the age of consent in Japan. However, from how it was explained to me, that doesn't mean an adult can have sex with someone that young. It means kids 13-17 can have sex with each other.
That's what I was told at least.

Also, the game isn't taking place in Japan, and none of the characters involved are Japanese. Plus, I'm pretty sure Kojima has become worldly enough to know how other parts of the world would view this.

He did state a long while ago that he was worried that the new Metal Gears would be "more controversial", so I don't think he's just ignorant of how other cultures would view this.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Kopikatsu said:
Imp Emissary said:
Paz (the girl in the camp) is apparently in her 20s. However, there is child rape.
After she is raped by her capters in front of another prisoner, Chico, who is 13. They then force him to rape her. Saying that if he doesn't, he'll be next.

So there (Where Kojima is from, natch), it's not underage rape. Just normal rape.
Which means the character is only 13 so the game could actually be sold and not banned from stores.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
i played all the metal gear games up to portable ops, and mostly enjoyed them but theres no denying they have excessively disparate tones throughout the course of the games, snake eater was mostly acceptable (i dont think i finished portable ops but i remember it being pretty bland compared to the rest) but they certainly love to confound their audience at every opportunity.

my favorite example of metal gear's bi-polar disorder is sons of liberty.

this is a game with a boss that is a fat guy on roller blades who drinks wine with a a straw for some reason, alongside a subplot about a man who had a sexual relationship with his step-mother that lead to his father's suicide.

wtf kojima

ETA: the dialogue slideshow/cutscenes in metal gear games are intolerable

Datacide

Apr 6, 2010
Nicely put!

I've never paid full price for a Metal Gear game and always wait for them to hit the bargain bins. Even then, I am hard pressed to really say I enjoy them. I enjoy parts of them, but as a whole they are mostly dreadful. The amount of awful dialogue is insane and people who hold up the MGS series as some bastion of good storytelling in video games need to be publically flogged.

I'll wait for the GOTY edition of The Phantom Pain that includes Ground Zeros and I'll likely buy it used to boot.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Imp Emissary said:

"Consent" is a complicated term over there, but it certainly does not include penetration by an adult. That's illegal. Not that this matters in any way, anyone should be free to build a plot and characters as they see fit without any censorship, I just wish "they" actually had something valuable to say on the matter, or at least did it well. Which Kojima does not. At all. He's an eternal 16 year old, who is kind of interested in serious things, but whose brain is too full of fuck to be able to examine them critically or articulate himself coherently. The fact that there are fans of his who are willing to disagree with that makes me sad, because they are obviously people who have never read an actual book in their lives.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Nieroshai said:
Trishbot said:
Nieroshai said:
This doesn't really change the point, but the game sold for $30, not $40.
Not in Australia (which I believe he's from). The price is (ABOVE) $40 down under... grr....
While likely true, everyone would assume (and so far has) USD anyway and act like the game is more expensive than it is. It is a point worth note.
Also that was after a price drop. Technically two price drops I believe since Konami originally tried to sell it at 59.99 but there was some serious bad press that forced them to sell it at 40.00 Which is the price that most people paid for it.

UberGott

Feb 20, 2014
Winnosh said:
Also that was after a price drop. Technically two price drops I believe since Konami originally tried to sell it at 59.99 but there was some serious bad press that forced them to sell it at 40.00 Which is the price that most people paid for it.
Scummy as it is of Konami to charge even $30 for an extended demo, the price was never more than $40 USD. The only price to change was for the physical PS4/XB1 version, everything else remained the same.

KiramidHead

Jan 26, 2012
I for one actually like Metal Gear Solid, both the stories and the gameplay. The controls can get a bit complicated, but are ultimately rewarding, and the stories have some of the most genuinely well played emotional moments I've seen in games.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Winnosh said:
Nieroshai said:
Trishbot said:
Nieroshai said:
This doesn't really change the point, but the game sold for $30, not $40.
Not in Australia (which I believe he's from). The price is (ABOVE) $40 down under... grr....
While likely true, everyone would assume (and so far has) USD anyway and act like the game is more expensive than it is. It is a point worth note.
Except that we didn't. And as an avid fan I followed the game since announcement. It was never $60.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
Imp Emissary said:

It is also worth mentioning that if it's a boy than it is not officially called rape in their penal code, it's just translated as "forced indecency". The main difference being that rape has a minimum of 2 years in jail and FI has a meaning of 6 months.

From what I understand, sub-national law also trumps national law in this so some prefectures are different from others

C14N

May 28, 2008
Two things about the latter part of this:

1) Movies do have the same problem as games a lot of the time. I buy a lot of Blu-rays but rarely when they've just been released because they usually cost ?20-25 when they're new. Give it a year or two though and it becomes fairly easy to find them for ?5-10, just like with video games (note: some movies don't even drop like this, Disney movies manage to stay pricey eternally).

2) Video games are far from the most profitable entertainment industry. It seems more and more that video game studios are being financially mis-managed and end up barely earning or even losing money because they don't get their expected returns on large investments. In terms of total revenue, they usually can't compete with something like movies. Even the biggest AAA publishers like EA and Activision-Blizzard are lucky to pull in $5bn a year. If that was one of the big film distributors, that would be a bad year.