Groups of people commenting you as you walk by.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
RhomCo said:
Private Custard said:
Oh and on topic, I grew up in a fairly rough town.
Heh... just seeing that reminds me of when I moved to a country town in my final year of high school. I'd lived in a fairly rough place where shit would just go ballistic without warning so when these country lads were trying to test me they got something of a shock when their appointed hardman tried to start a shoving match with me because I didn't shove back, I punched him in the throat.
Ha!!

I moved into the countryside a few years back, and it's treating me well. A lot of that could be that I'm now 30. Older and wiser, I now know the places I should avoid (like any town after 9pm!)

And I began to walk with my back straight and my head held high. I'm not making a target of myself by looking weak or lacking confidence.

heavy-metal-ink

Dec 10, 2009
Shit like that happens constantly, ignore them for the most part... they wont say shit to you unless there's at least 4 of them anyway... It takes at least that many of them to have the collective balls to try pick a fight with anyone.
Also, has anyone else noticed how they only say thing when your NOT in a pissy mood and hoping someone will comment just so you have an excuse to beat the shit out of someone ?

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
elvor0 said:
Kimarous said:
danneloid said:
Today a couple of kids sat in the grass looking at people and smirking, as i walked by one of them said "Nice weather isn't it?".

Since it was really cloudy and rain was coming i said "No" in which the response were "You being cocky?". I stopped and looked at them with what i hope was a threatening look and then they said "Good Bye" and i muttered and walked away angry as hell.

Now why cant people just leave other people alone, in the words of Eddie Izzard "They were standing in groups of 5 because they have one fifth of a personality each".

Am i overreacting? What do you think? Has it happened to you? How do you deal with it when you just cant ignore them?
You got pissy over THAT? Because a couple of kids tried to be friendly, you gave them a threatening glare? Hell yes, you overreacted! If someone responded to me like that, I'd mark them down as a humourless, soulless asshole!
If you;d read the OP you would've realized he gave them the threatening glare after they said "you being cocky?", a phrase usually said by twats looking for a fight.
I misread his post to mean that he said "No" in a "you being cocky" tone and then gave them a threatening look. That's why.

Samuel Adams

Apr 16, 2009
I (apparently along with a few of you) get made fun of almost daily. It was worse last year. I have long hair (about to my shoulders or a little longer), all the guys at my school have average hair, so I am considered weird I guess you could say. I also fall into the "geek" category, so whenever I pass by some wannabe gangster (sometimes even other geeks who are trying to be cool) who has his pants almost off and wearing a shirt with gang signs on it, they either call me a nerd or tell me I look like a girl. I just ignore them and think to myself, 20 years in the future, when I have a great job because of my high intelligence and ability to be good at almost anything I try, they will be on the streets, mugging people for money and doing drugs with a horrible life.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
I've punched people 3-4 years younger than me for being douches and simply blocking my path. Hell I onced stabbed a guy in the hand with a biro for taking the piss out of something I said and pushing the joke too far (it nearly went to his eye first).

I got in trouble for these things, but they never fucked with me again.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
danneloid said:
Today a couple of kids sat in the grass looking at people and smirking, as i walked by one of them said "Nice weather isn't it?".

Since it was really cloudy and rain was coming i said "No" in which the response were "You being cocky?". I stopped and looked at them with what i hope was a threatening look and then they said "Good Bye" and i muttered and walked away angry as hell.

Now why cant people just leave other people alone, in the words of Eddie Izzard "They were standing in groups of 5 because they have one fifth of a personality each".

Am i overreacting? What do you think? Has it happened to you? How do you deal with it when you just cant ignore them?
After leaving my friends birthday party and going to catch a train home from town a group of girls drove past drunk as hell (not the driver, I hope) yelling "Haha! You're alone!" (wait, scratch that last bracket comment), I yelled back "and in better company than you!".

Yeah it bother's me when its done negatively, I don't see why people act like cunts for fun, that's why I really feel that violence is a solution. (Say what you want about it solving nothing, but if people know they're gonna get a broken limb when being morons they'll think twice, which for the majority of them mean that I've already made it half way across the country (and for those who didn't understand that comment, they think slowly))

blubbyblubbyblub

Feb 19, 2008
Happened to me in school a while ago, four dudes about my age where sitting in the lobby of my school, i walk down the stairs with 3 kids from my class, i myself am about 180 cm and a 100 k's (not all muscle though, im chubby) and my other friend is a boxer, so we were walking down the stairs heading down for a smoke and we hear these morons going

"Ahh look at their clothes, fucking white trash." and a lot more shit like this

me and my mates walk past, smoked our cigs and waited outside till they came out, when they finally came out me and my friend walked up to 'em (the other two are wussies so they hung back) i plant my size 12 boot in ones stomach and my friend broke another ones nose, we told'em to never show themselves round there again, surprisingly enough they didn't, though their cousins did the next day.

too lazy too write that tho :DD

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
Ahhh, this is classic. I had that problem for most of my years in elementary school and junior high, usually because I dress a bit...eccentric. (Think 'Duckie' from Pretty in Pink). Then when I got to high school I decided that ignoring them wouldn't stop them from doing it, just delay them until a future date. So I waited until someone said something particularly nasty to me, and then crippled their ego with insults that were aimed specifically at things unique to them. You might think that name-calling wouldn't really bother someone, but try telling that to the person who I called out for having a bad crotch rash (Found out from his sister), or the person that I calmly told to shut up or I would personally find a daschhound and bring it to his house (Massive fear of dogs, I remembered from junior high). Using insults that actually bring something embarrasing about that person in particular onto the battlefield usually knocks them off their horse for a moment. After that, it's a sleek cold shoulder down the hallway or street without a single bit of dirt slung back until your too far gone to care. It works better than you think. Just write down insults *specifically* for the people who torment you most. Good luck! -F

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Klarinette said:
They accused you of being cocky because of your perception of the weather? ...wow. Okay.
Kimarous said:
You got pissy over THAT? Because a couple of kids tried to be friendly, you gave them a threatening glare? Hell yes, you overreacted! If someone responded to me like that, I'd mark them down as a humourless, soulless asshole!
I love the fact that it seems to only be Canadians who don't understand this behaviour. It must be really nice there.

These kids will probably say random comments to dozens of passers by a day. Anyone who responds will be given the "You being cocky?" question. The game is to pull someone who's not normally confrontational into a confrontation and then all five kids will jump him.

There are kids like this on every street in the UK, in large enough numbers or if armed they'll start on anyone.

Walking away is generally the best idea if they'll let you. Though if you're really angry I think you'd make the world a better place by waiting for them to disperse than kicking hell out of one of them. Just be careful not to show your face in that area for a couple months after.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
oppp7 said:
That's all they did? You're over reacting...

People on this site are too sensitive to being harassed. I mean, they didn't openly insult you. Why would you get in a bad mood over it?
Where do you draw the line then? I honestly believe that some people are just crazy and will always push the limits to see what they can get away with. By doing nothing a clear signal is sent that it's okay to continue with harassing people (in this instance for example).

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Jfswift said:
oppp7 said:
That's all they did? You're over reacting...

People on this site are too sensitive to being harassed. I mean, they didn't openly insult you. Why would you get in a bad mood over it?
Where do you draw the line then? I honestly believe that some people are just crazy and will always push the limits to see what they can get away with. By doing nothing a clear signal is sent that it's okay to continue with harassing people (in this instance for example).
Ya, but you shouldn't let it eat at you all day. And some people on here are saying he should have reacted more severely to them(such as attacking them).

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
oppp7 said:
And some people on here are saying he should have reacted more severely to them(such as attacking them).
They were looking for a fight, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to teach them to be careful what they wish for.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Actual said:
oppp7 said:
And some people on here are saying he should have reacted more severely to them(such as attacking them).
They were looking for a fight, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to teach them to be careful what they wish for.
From my point of view(and the law's), attacking people for something they said is amoral. I mean, you can go ahead and insult them back, but you don't have to physically insult them. And who's to say they weren't armed? They would have been justified in using weapons on you if you attacked them without reasonable provocation.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
oppp7 said:
Actual said:
oppp7 said:
From my point of view(and the law's), attacking people for something they said is amoral. I mean, you can go ahead and insult them back, but you don't have to physically insult them. And who's to say they weren't armed? They would have been justified in using weapons on you if you attacked them without reasonable provocation.
That is kinda what I'm saying, they want you to insult them or start on them that way they have the excuse that you started it.

They spend their days looking for excuses to hurt people, playing their game and using violence is not the smartest response but it's the only way I can see that will have any effect. Sad state to be in.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Actual said:
oppp7 said:
Actual said:
oppp7 said:
That is kinda what I'm saying, they want you to insult them or start on them that way they have the excuse that you started it.

They spend their days looking for excuses to hurt people, playing their game and using violence is not the smartest response but it's the only way I can see that will have any effect. Sad state to be in.
And insulting them back/ignoring them?

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
oppp7 said:
Insulting back just gives them an opportunity to escalate, you'll probably end up in a fight anyway, unless you can intimidate them into backing off. But they don't pick the confident looking people to start with so this isn't likely.

Walking away will solve the situation there, that is why it's the best thing to do.

The problem is that people just think about getting themselves through the day. I'm guilty of it and I guess a lot of other people are too. For example,I'll walk down the street and see a wheelie bin that's been knocked over, blocking the path. I catch myself thinking "not my problem I'll just walk round and ignore it" Then I have to remind myself it's not just me, the woman pushing a pram behind me won't be able to go around, and if the old fella coming the over way tries to move it he'll likely hurt himself. So you take responsibility for the little things that get put in your way for the benefit of others.

These scumbags are the same situation, sure I could put my head down just keep walking, a little bit of embarrassment that'll soon be over and I can pretend it didn't happen. Except they're still gonna be there, the next person might be the lady with the pram or the oldboy, and if I could have spared them that intimidation I should. Or even worse the next person tries to stnd up to them and gets themselves hurt, it may be indirectly, but that's my fault for not doing something about it.

We need to take care of things like this if we're able, and not just ignore it because the next person might not be able to.

/rant, I'm just sick of these ASBO collecting fucktards clogging up the streets.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Actual said:
oppp7 said:
Insulting back just gives them an opportunity to escalate, you'll probably end up in a fight anyway, unless you can intimidate them into backing off. But they don't pick the confident looking people to start with so this isn't likely.

Walking away will solve the situation there, that is why it's the best thing to do.

The problem is that people just think about getting themselves through the day. I'm guilty of it and I guess a lot of other people are too. For example,I'll walk down the street and see a wheelie bin that's been knocked over, blocking the path. I catch myself thinking "not my problem I'll just walk round and ignore it" Then I have to remind myself it's not just me, the woman pushing a pram behind me won't be able to go around, and if the old fella coming the over way tries to move it he'll likely hurt himself. So you take responsibility for the little things that get put in your way for the benefit of others.

These scumbags are the same situation, sure I could put my head down just keep walking, a little bit of embarrassment that'll soon be over and I can pretend it didn't happen. Except they're still gonna be there, the next person might be the lady with the pram or the oldboy, and if I could have spared them that intimidation I should. Or even worse the next person tries to stnd up to them and gets themselves hurt, it may be indirectly, but that's my fault for not doing something about it.

We need to take care of things like this if we're able, and not just ignore it because the next person might not be able to.

/rant, I'm just sick of these ASBO collecting fucktards clogging up the streets.
But the kids weren't doing anything that should set people off in the first place.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Er, can't say I've ever experienced this. I would suggest to just ignore people like that. But seriously I think they we're just fooling around with you; probably bored teenagers. It's not like they really confronted or insulted you.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
oppp7 said:
But the kids weren't doing anything that should set people off in the first place.
Where are you from? I'm thinking maybe the context of the OPs experience is very different depending on where you live or your own experiences.

Behaviour like that in places where I've lived in England (Leicester, Nottingham, Harlow, Cambridge) is always a clear sign that they're looking to fight. But I guess I could just be jumping to conclusions here.

I'm gonna eat ice cream now till I calm down, so if I don't catch you again, have a good night. Happy thoughts!

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Actual said:
oppp7 said:
Where are you from? I'm thinking maybe the context of the OPs experience is very different depending on where you live or your own experiences.

Behaviour like that in places where I've lived in England (Leicester, Nottingham, Harlow, Cambridge) is always a clear sign that they're looking to fight. But I guess I could just be jumping to conclusions here.

I'm gonna eat ice cream now till I calm down, so if I don't catch you again, have a good night. Happy thoughts!
Good night man. Nice having a philosophical discussion on here for once, where we don't flame each other, put up valid points, and still end up with different view points. Haven't had enough of these lately.