GSC Mulls Always-On DRM for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
GSC Mulls Always-On DRM for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2

GSC Game World is considering always-on DRM for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2.

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. [http://www.amazon.com/S-T-L-K-R-Shadow-Chernobyl-Pc/dp/B0001X5YN4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318263181&sr=8-1] series is one of the most distinctly PC game franchises in existence. It's deeply weird, punishingly difficult, buggy, quirky and, for those who see that sort of thing as "character," one of the most intense and memorable shooter experiences of all time. But now it seems that Ukrainian studio GSC Game World is thinking about implementing another, far less welcome PC-centric feature: always-on DRM.

"Part of the content will be located on the server and downloaded as the game progresses," Studio Director Sergey Grigorovich told Ukrainian site Kotaku Australia [http://kp.ua/daily/220711/291887/]]. "Permanent internet access is required. Text information, code and quests will be loaded through that connection."

Combine the inherent issues with always-on DRM [hello, Twitter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111951-Ubisoft-Says-Always-On-DRM-A-Success] that the DRM plan is a "possibility, not a choice."

"The idea of implementing DRM came in as a possible anti-piracy solution," a rep explained to Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/09/gsc-respond-on-stalker-2-drm-issue/]. "You know the severe level of commercial piracy we have here in ex-USSR region. This said however, there is no firm decision to go for DRM with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 as of now. Be assured, we do realize how uncomfortable this solution is for the players, so we'll continue looking for most effective, yet acceptable for all, way of protecting the game by the time of its release."

The new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is actually being developed for consoles as well as PC and is expected to come out sometime in 2012. Here's hoping GSC comes up with a better idea by then.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Rule 1 of pc anti-piracy, don't make the pirated version of your game better then the version you have for sale.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
They've already been backpedaling like crazy on their facebook page actually. People have already screamed at them about this on their twitter too.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
This is one of the few cases that having a properly organised boycott would actually help. Why? STALKER is, pretty much, GSC Game World's sole source of income these days. It's also a series that isn't really widely popular, depending mostly on a hardcore group of fans.

So if those fans, me being one of them, clearly say; guys, we don't take shit like this, it could send a powerful message through the industry. I know I won't be getting STALKER 2 if they really are going to use this.
TestECull said:
...AAAAANd there goes my interest in buying it!
Take it easy, it hasn't been implemented yet. It's good to be wary and on your toes, but rushing it doesn't do you any good either.

gunner1905

Jun 18, 2010
Does GSC really think that they can make a STALKER game that would be bug free?
Because if they implement that system I would think the game would be unmoddable and who did you think fixed the last 3 STALKERs.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Rule 1 of pc anti-piracy, don't make the pirated version of your game better then the version you have for sale.
Indeed.

If this is true, then STALKER 2 can go on the list of game I won't be buying. I'm prepared to spend hours fixing the bug in STALKER games for the fun they provide, but if I'm going to be treated as a criminal for my troubles then they can forget it.

I consider these always on systems one step from openly asking people to pirate the game illegally.
You can spend money that you had to earn on a product that monitors you 100% of the time and can be taken away at any moment for any reason the publisher dreams up.
Or you can steal it and have to deal with none of these things, whilst keeping your money in your pocket and playing the game.

It's a strange world where the best way to access a product is to steal it.

Unless of course, these DRM systems have nothing to do with piracy. They effectively enforce a rental policy on store bought games, which is mighty convienient when the sequel comes out...

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Allow me to express my articulate and well laid-out opinion about this:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
NO! NO! DONT F*CKING DO THAT!
All this will do is chase away potential customers, or bum off new ones who buy the damn thing and aren't able to playn it due to draconian DRM.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Well, I bought all 3 previous STALKER games... if they're going to reward that commitment and treat me like a pirate with an always-on DRM system, they can be certain I'll never buy one of their games again.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Worgen said:
Exactly.

I'd say put EXTRA CONTENT pinned to the always-online version. Not enough that pirates will be desperate to crack it, but enough that owning the legit version (and connecting online) is worth it.

Something like Left 4 Dead 2's "mutations" where every week the developer change the game in some way and it is change via having the online-connection and you have to discover how the universe's rules have changed.

BENEFITS of staying online:
-cloud backup of saves
-seamless backup of demo-records, screenshots and videos
-Integrated tweaks, mods, keybinds and skins to share seamlessly via official servers vetted for stability
-DETAILED stat tracking like every kill, every death, hours played, % of items found, accuracy etc.
-earn achievements and unlocks while connected online: unlocks like skins THAT ARE NOT ON DISK, actual downloads!
-Easy Drop-in co-op in some capacity
-Demons' Souls style "massively single-player" interaction with other players
-Access you personal game stats from any web-browser and your login. Things like adjusting your loadout or planning a future quest on the overworld map.
-Extra content online mode like access to developer diaries through various nodes you can access.

But you can still PLAY the game while offline, it's just not as good.

And if there is "constant" online give us all the benefits of that. Auto-save our progress so even if the game crashes we can load again from the precise point we left off. So if something causes a loss in connection the game doesn't crash, have it go into a suspension like in MW2 when the Host leaves.

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
Meh . . . whatever they've got to do . . .

we EU and NA players should all be glad, our copies of the original 3 STALKER titles didn't have anywhere near as draconian DRM as the RUS versions did.

Either way, I don't see a point in complaining about the DRM - IMHO most of the complaining stems
from users who're just jumping on the bandwagon without any real evidence.

Sober Thal said:
(I've always wanted to ask this)

Am I the only one, who has never had a problem with always on DRM?
Nope. I've never had a problem, either. Neither have any of my friends, nor the vast majority of users I associate with online.

I'd still like someone to actually find some hardcore evidence of where draconian DRM actually does so quickly fubar their setup.

Supernova2000

Shivan Sympathizer
May 2, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
This is one of the few cases that having a properly organised boycott would actually help. Why? STALKER is, pretty much, GSC Game World's sole source of income these days. It's also a series that isn't really widely popular, depending mostly on a hardcore group of fans.

So if those fans, me being one of them, clearly say; guys, we don't take shit like this, it could send a powerful message through the industry. I know I won't be getting STALKER 2 if they really are going to use this.
TestECull said:
Take it easy, it hasn't been implemented yet. It's good to be wary and on your toes, but rushing it doesn't do you any good either.
Agreed, this has certainly made me think twice about buying it if they actually go through with this and I'm certainly all for the boycott, especially if it has your aforementioned knock-on effect.

Anyone playing a pirated copy of Batman: Arkham Asylum found themselves playing a Batman unable to do leaping attacks or something to that effect, which basically made the game unplayable for them. That's the way to do it; actually punish the pirates! I can think of loads of ways this could be done in S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2:

1) When you throw a grenade, it flies back in your face
2) You start off with the worst possible - irredeemable - reputation with the NPC's, you scum!
3) You don't get to use any guns, or they spontaneously disintegrate as soon as you pick them up, or they simply can't hit anything; turn a classic series bug/design flaw into a punishment
4) You get no emission warnings and they hit instantly
5) Lock all the graphics settings at the absolute minimum but also cap the frame rate at 10
6) Leave in the crash-to-desktop Bug Trap duet
7) Your PDA only displays a middle finger
8) Remove the crouch/slightly-lower-crouch controls

I could go on but you get the idea and I invite everyone to see how many you can come up with.

Supernova2000

Shivan Sympathizer
May 2, 2009
Cowabungaa said:

TestECull said:
Agreed, this has certainly made me think twice about buying it if they actually go through with this and I'm certainly all for the boycott, especially if it has your aforementioned knock-on effect.

Anyone playing a pirated copy of Batman: Arkham Asylum found themselves playing a Batman unable to do leaping attacks or something to that effect, which basically made the game unplayable for them. That's the way to do it; actually punish the pirates! I can think of loads of ways this could be done in S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2:

1) When you throw a grenade, it flies back in your face
2) You start off with the worst possible - irredeemable - reputation with the NPC's, you scum!
3) You don't get to use any guns, or they spontaneously disintegrate as soon as you pick them up, or they simply can't hit anything; turn a classic series bug/design flaw into a punishment
4) You get no emission warnings and they hit instantly
5) Lock all the graphics settings at the absolute minimum but also cap the frame rate at 10
6) Leave in the crash-to-desktop Bug Trap duet
7) Your PDA only displays a middle finger
8) Remove the crouch/slightly-lower-crouch controls

I could go on but you get the idea and I invite everyone to see how many you can come up with.

Edit: Sorry for the double-post, my browser briefly slowed to a crawl as soon as I clicked Post so I clicked back and tried again, not realising it actually did post the first one.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
And so, hope is rekindled.

I love STALKER, but after the last couple of STALKER titles, I don't really have a problem with boycotting them, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.
I hope for both their and my sake than they do not use always on DRM and that they fire the moron who suggested it.

mariofan1000

Sep 25, 2009
I think it's best to make a trick like "pirating the games makes the game run at 1fps after two months" so that no-one catches it.

Supernova2000

Shivan Sympathizer
May 2, 2009
Sober Thal said:
(I've always wanted to ask this)

Am I the only one, who has never had a problem with always on DRM?
Maybe not but you're part of a minority, at least. And fair play to you for having a rock-steady connection with which AODRM is no issue but it's the principle of the thing; loyal fans and customers being treated like criminals while the actual pirates are no worse off.