GSC Seems to Confirm S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for Xbox 360

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
GSC Seems to Confirm S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for Xbox 360


GSC Game World has apparently confirmed that it is working on a version of the first-person shooter S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat [http://www.stalker-game.com/] has been released for the PC.

Although best known as a PC developer, Ukrainian developer GSC Game World became certified [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/79280-GSC-Game-World-Receives-Xbox-360-Certification] as an Xbox 360 developer in November 2007. At the time, the company said it was happy about the possibilities for multi-platform development, although its focus would remain on PC development.

Specific plans for the 360 weren't discussed but the assumption was that some version of the post-Chernobyl FPS S.T.A.L.K.E.R. would end up on the platform and in an interview with Strategy Informer [http://stalker-portal.ru/page.php?id=5580]) , the studio has finally appeared to confirm that plan. "We think that whatever port of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for Xbox 360 won't come out before the full release of the game's sequel," GSC's Oleg Yavorsky said.

"We have become a developer, not only for the Xbox 360, but also for the PlayStation 3 and the Nintendo Wii," he added. "We've been also developing a prototype for the PSP, but currently there's not enough manpower to make our ambitions come true."

When asked if S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, due this fall, could also be released for the 360, he answered, "At the moment, all are busy with preparing the PC version of the game. What comes after - we'll see."

It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but I'm having a difficult time imaging it on the 360, or any console, for that matter. It's an intense, ridiculously atmospheric and immersive shooter that often borders on absolute brilliance; it's also famously glitchy, harder than hell and often borders on complete incoherence. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is very much the anti-Halo: Bleak, confusing and utterly unforgiving. For hardcore shooter fans it's a dream, but whether it would hold the same appeal for everyone else is another matter entirely.


Permalink
 

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
Sweet. I wonder if they will do something for the PS3. Anyways, the consoles will be at a disadvantage due to a lack of mods.
 

RebelRising

New member
Jan 5, 2008
2,230
0
0
Cool; I've always been interested in this game, as the bleak, real-world setting of the game was intriguing. If I could get it for the 360, I definitely would.
 

Pendragon9

New member
Apr 26, 2009
1,968
0
0
Let's hope they don't half ass port it, like alot of game companies do nowadays.
 

SebZero

New member
Jul 30, 2009
349
0
0
Oh how cool. I've been curious about this series, and now I'll finally get a chance to play it.

And the Anti-Halo...? Finally an FPS that Bizarro SebZero can appreciate!
 

Whistler777

New member
Nov 14, 2008
529
0
0
If it is true that it's coming to the Xbox 360, I can only hope it's a high-quality port. Though I can't think of how the series would fare on a console (its radical difficulty and insane level of mod-support are more geared to PC gamers), at least this means that more people will get to play it and have fun with it. It's really a one-of-a-kind FPS series.
 

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
RebelRising said:
Cool; I've always been interested in this game, as the bleak, real-world setting of the game was intriguing. If I could get it for the 360, I definitely would.
Agreed, plus the whole survival aspect makes it look like Fallout 3 if it kicked your ass constantly. And it was wearing a spiked boot. Made of dead babies.
 

rembrandtqeinstein

New member
Sep 4, 2009
2,173
0
0
A consolified S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with no inventory management would hurt my feelings, like Bioshock did when I was expecting the depth of System Shock 2.

However a run and gun 3rd person openish world mission based version like Syphon Filter would be pretty tight.

The right way to consolify a game is what happened with Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance went to the PS2. It had nothing to do with the original other than some of the names of powers were the same. However the gameplay was really fun and respectful of the setting.
 

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
1,658
0
0
As long as they keep focused on the PC version first. I'd hate to see one of the greatest modern PC game series drop the ball because it started putting things on the consoles. I hate it when game developers give the consoles precedence with early release dates and what not. I refer to the Super Special COD Modern Warfare as an example (No night vision goggles for PC users. Why the hell is that?)
 

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
Malygris said:
It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but I'm having a difficult time imaging it on the 360, or any console, for that matter. It's an intense, ridiculously atmospheric and immersive shooter that often borders on absolute brilliance; it's also famously glitchy, harder than hell and often borders on complete incoherence.
So it's like Gears of War with Russians.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is very much the anti-Halo: Bleak, confusing and utterly unforgiving. For hardcore shooter fans it's a dream, but whether it would hold the same appeal for everyone else is another matter entirely.
I'd like to think there's a lot of people like me: people who don't care to keep our PCs capable of playing titles like this because we're mostly 4X/RTS/Grand Strategy type gamers, and the Xbox we got for the exclusives and sports games (and Catan) fulfills our need for shooters. We don't have the PC hardware to play this, but we do have the desire, so bringing it to the console hardware we have will be a good move.
 

CatinHat

New member
Apr 30, 2009
81
0
0
GSC Game World should stop making games... sell the rights of its games to people who know what they are doing.
 

LtFerret

New member
Jun 4, 2009
268
0
0
How would that work?

It's a very buggy game and I don't think the Xbox has a quick save button.
 

Xjin

New member
Jul 7, 2009
66
0
0
CatinHat said:
GSC Game World should stop making games... sell the rights of its games to people who know what they are doing.
I'm sorry, but I think that if they did S.T.A.L.K.E.R. would be watered down, scraped, or otherwise die. They have a lot of problems yes, but they have a spark of creativity and add such a fiery soul to its games. Bugs and all.

OT- Would be nice to have it on the 360, so the large amount of people here in the Florida gaming guilds/clans that have people who don't have good computers can get a swig of one of the best damn IPs of this era.
 

squid5580

New member
Feb 20, 2008
5,106
0
0
LtFerret said:
How would that work?

It's a very buggy game and I don't think the Xbox has a quick save button.
Maybe they'll be able to fix most of those glitches since they'll be working on one console instead of a wide range of PCs with different specs. Fallout 3 was pretty glitchy at launch but the save feature for it worked rather well on the 360. One would think they could fix mostly everything by now. MS should help them out (but probably won't). Either way I am looking forward to it.
 

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
squid5580 said:
LtFerret said:
How would that work?

It's a very buggy game and I don't think the Xbox has a quick save button.
Maybe they'll be able to fix most of those glitches since they'll be working on one console instead of a wide range of PCs with different specs. Fallout 3 was pretty glitchy at launch but the save feature for it worked rather well on the 360. One would think they could fix mostly everything by now. MS should help them out (but probably won't). Either way I am looking forward to it.
Doubtful, I own both Stalker: Shadows of Chernobyl, and Clear Skies, aside from being awesome games, they are really bug-filled. The good thing about this dev is they're definitely dedicated to their product though, and definitely work on the bugs after launch.

Either way, don't really care, had already planned on buying it for my PC as it is.
 

squid5580

New member
Feb 20, 2008
5,106
0
0
Mornelithe said:
squid5580 said:
LtFerret said:
How would that work?

It's a very buggy game and I don't think the Xbox has a quick save button.
Maybe they'll be able to fix most of those glitches since they'll be working on one console instead of a wide range of PCs with different specs. Fallout 3 was pretty glitchy at launch but the save feature for it worked rather well on the 360. One would think they could fix mostly everything by now. MS should help them out (but probably won't). Either way I am looking forward to it.
Doubtful, I own both Stalker: Shadows of Chernobyl, and Clear Skies, aside from being awesome games, they are really bug-filled. The good thing about this dev is they're definitely dedicated to their product though, and definitely work on the bugs after launch.

Either way, don't really care, had already planned on buying it for my PC as it is.
That is what I mean though. They have lots of time and half the game is already made. You have story, enviroment, character designs, maps and all that stuff already made. I don't mean in a 360 ready sort of way but they have the blueprint for the game. They know where everything goes and how it is supposed to look. That in itself must chew up alot of time. So now all they have to worry about aside from the sequel is the programming part of things. Hopefully they'll use the time and the loot from the sequel and take their time with it so they won't have to worry so much about patches.
 

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
So it's like Gears of War with Russians.
No.
We don't have the PC hardware to play this, but we do have the desire, so bringing it to the console hardware we have will be a good move.
You might be right, and I certainly don't mean to disparage your shooter cred, but I suspect that most console shooter fans, yourself included, would find STALKER a jarring, punishing and frustrating experience. Which may sound a bit more condescending than I mean it to, but in a lot of meaningful ways, STALKER isn't like other shooters. You're not going to follow a story as you proceed from mission to mission; you're going to be handed a shitty little Russian pistol and turned loose into a vicious, merciless wasteland. If that sounds cool to you, let me assure you that it is cool, but it also often results in what would happen if you really found yourself in such a situation - you die. A lot.

Not that I'm against the idea; I think it'll be interesting to see what GSC comes up with. A straight-up port isn't likely, so maybe something exclusive to the 360?