GTA Director to Create Iranian Revolution Game

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I am certainly intrigued by this. Fox's response to this will be entertainment in itself.
albino boo said:
TheIronRuler said:
YES!
Woohoo!
Finally someone have the balls to make a grade A game revolving the middle east which doesn't involve american farm boys shooting at brown people!
Developer, I salute you.
Most of the people I know have no knowledge of the... erm... revolution that occured in 1979 in Iran. Goodbye friendly, capitalistic(?) and western Iran, hello modern day religious Iran.
What happened was a brutal, murderous, American backed regime, was replaced by Islamic fundamentalist, brutal, murderous regime. Both states are unfree its just the justification for the repression is different. No room for nuance, its pretty much like Tsarist Russia being replaced by communist Russia.
Thanks for putting that out there. The more you know...

whuber

Sep 25, 2009
There's some prior art for this: an indie documentary game called The Cat and the Coup: http://coup.peterbrinson.com/

It won the Indiecade documentary category last year.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
well at least it has better chances than 6 days in fallujah.

I'll definitely look forward to this

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
Sixcess said:
So it's Six Days in Fallujah all over again, only this time you get to play as the 'bad guys' as well.

Yeah, this is never going to get a release.
no 6 days in fallujah was cancelled because it was based on a far more recent event and thus more people were upset about it. I don't think there will be enough people complaining about this for the devs to care.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
I hope this gets made. Id love for a game based on the Revolution, but only if it takes a balanced look at it and not "ooh, the nice and happy regime was replaced with a crazy, religious one that kills people". One awful, oppressive regime was replace with another awful, oppressive regime. The key difference is that the Shah was in the pocket of America and the West, and as such Khomeini's government is firmly against the West and everything it symbolises (not just because of the Shah, ofcourse)

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
I'll bite. This is different enough, and original, to be quite interesting. I want to see what you can do with it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Oh this will be pissing people off for years to come :D

But they will haveto do it really well to present things as they should be, maybe get Valve in on this, they know polish and atmosphere, but for the most part no publisher can shut them down when shit hits the fan.

The Forces of Chaos

Mar 25, 2010
Sixcess said:
So it's Six Days in Fallujah all over again, only this time you get to play as the 'bad guys' as well.

I usually play the good guy in video games, but I will try the USA in this one.

8bitlove2a03

Mar 25, 2010
A wonderful idea with subject matter that may well force people to stop and think about their beliefs about Iran and Islamic culture...if it wasn't for the fact it will never get published. Remember Six Days in Fallujah? No? Thought not.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Epicspoon said:
no 6 days in fallujah was cancelled because it was based on a far more recent event and thus more people were upset about it. I don't think there will be enough people complaining about this for the devs to care.
If I was this guy I'd be less worried about Fox News and more worried about getting a fatwah when/if the Iranian government decides that this game is disrespectful to the revolution, or the ayatollah, or islam, or all of the above.

1979 is recent events in that part of the world.

The Forces of Chaos said:
I usually play the good guy in video games, but I will try the USA in this one.
I lol'd.

Anyway, in the unlikely event the game does make it to release, they'd better have licenced Rock the Casbah for the soundtrack.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Would I get to play as a communist revolutionary? Fighting the Shah but then being oppressed by the religious fundamentalists? All I know of the 1979 revolution I learned from a combination of Persepolis part 1 and The Cat and the Coup.

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
Wow. Consider my interest piqued. I mean, I guess that's the point, controversy and all, but hell, it looks different and kinda fun and maybe even educational if I happen to go "Gee I don't know anything about this period of history, maybe I should educate myself."

Deschamps

Oct 11, 2008
From the interview with Khonsari, I don't get the impression that he's the kind of person who will intentionally generate controversy for the sake of sales (see COD:MW2). I really hope this game gets made, but ONLY if it is with the goal of educating the player before entertaining them. If they can do that, then they will help to set an example of games as a unique storytelling medium. I would imagine that this game, if done right, could give the player a deeper understanding of the events covered than a book or documentary could ever provide.

dantoddd

Sep 18, 2009
This is one brave dude. The probability of him getting a death threat after this near 100%.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Epicspoon said:
Sixcess said:

"Wah wah wah, Muslims in it so its evil, wah". Yeah, it'll get enough complaints.

I would imagine it depends on the size of the project. Article doesn't really give an impression of it being a AAA title or a one-man indie project.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Actually, this sounds good. I want to see where it goes, escpecially the characters he mentioned.