GTA IV is the Worst Games I've Ever Played

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
I could only force myself to play the game for about 5 hours. Then I got Saints row 2. Then I never played it again.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
I know this is only vague relevance, but where are these hard-to-handle cars I've been hearing about? I regularly drift performance cars between lampposts and weave through pedestrian-filled pavements without hitting a single person. They're just so easy to control...they do exactly what I ask.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
You know what? I agree. Well, not with GTA IV being the worst game ever but there's honestly nothing fun to do in it. The missions just... Suck. How many of them included a bit where you have to take part in a car/bike/whatever chase, and you can't stop the person you're chasing until they reach a set point? Better still are the ones where you're trying to kill your target and they become invulnerable until the chase is over.

It just feels really bad when "Kill this guy" seems like one of the easiest things to give the player freedom of approach to. The gameplay became samey because of this, just jumping through the hoops that the game set for you and to be honest the story wasn't much to write home about either. The gameplay and the actions of Nico in the cutscenes kept tripping over each other. As one person on here put it, "Nico is apparently hates having to kill any more, but has to due to how poor he is. Yet by the end of the game you will have lot of money and will have killed a lot of people". And that's ignoring the psychotic rampages you can potentially go on!

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i don't hate gta 4 but i will never ever touch that thing with a ten foot pole. because it aged horribly, it's like the last, rather shiny example of the last gen of sandbox games where devs had not quite figured out what to do with the whole thing.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Those problems like missions going randomly wrong and bonkers physics events have been part of every grand theft auto since GTA III.

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
I couldn't stand 4, it was far to serious and realistic I was just bored out of my mind playing it and I wanted to just, plus the city was just too big and it took far to long to get from point A to point B for me and death felt so annoying when you would have to drive 20 minutes to get back to the last place you died.
However worst game ever? No I just think it was really not my type of game.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
I had GTA IV installed to my xbox. I played it all the way through and thought it was pretty fun and stuff. The multiplayer was cool but the police were disabled so it took away 50% of the experience.

Earlier this year my friend introduced me to Saints Row 3...I LOVE IT!
Everything in Saints Row is better, the only thing I don't like is that the "multiplayer" is only 2 player co op. (so it's just co-op then really)

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Kind of strange really unless you were achievement whoreing playing a game you hate for 300 hours makes no sense, hell i hated it too for different reasons but then again i only clocked like 10 hours into it.

btw get a pc controller dude makes playing console ports on pc ALOT less painful overall.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Thats why I never bothered with missions. I bought the game specifically to play when I'm in a bad mood so I can crash some cars and run people over.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
I played quite a bit of GTA IV, played it to the final mission in fact (and yeah, "OMG why do you play game you hate???" well the answer is, me and my friend would play it in the same room and have a laugh about how much we hate it, that's kind of a thing that we do, we read the CHERUB book series for the same reason) and yeah, I do think it's a bad game.

I mean, let me qualify that, I think every game is pretty bad. I think the Mass Effect series is bad, I think Half-Life 2 is okay with a story with a story that's alright, I think Bioshock and Fallout 3 are eh, etc. etc. there are few games which I rate as actually good is what I'm saying.

But man, I didn't even find GTA IV fun (on it's own at least, playing it simultaenously with my bro was fun), and my bar for fun, as opposed to quality, is seriously low. The driving was dull, the open world was empty and pointless, there was very little to do and I ended up getting taxis everywhere. The shooting was generic and dull, the story was meandering and aimless, the writing was... alright actually, nothing to really complain about, the themes of the game were fucked beyond all recognition and it's got the most jarring ludo-narrative dissonance of any game I've ever played.

As the OP stated, the lose states are frustrating and the way it forces you back to the start of the mission is even more frustrating.

Why do I feel it necessary to complain, why can't I just be happy that we have differences in opinion? Because according to Metacritic it's the best game ever. And I think that says a lot about our medium, and I think we need to think about why such a polarising game did so well in terms of reviews.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
It was a good game, but didn't reach the heights of the PS2 era GTA's. Frankly nothing will beat the absurdity of walking into club malibu with a minigun

The Headcrab Farmer

Dec 16, 2010
Can't share your grief, GTA IV and its expansions are the best GTA games in my book. Shooting is fun, the atmosphere is wonderful (drive a boat outside hove beach in the sunset with Dominion blasting now or else) and the introduction of a physics engine means driving something ends up with me grinning while outrunning the fuzz in a car that has somehow morphed itself in to a diagonal line.

I've raked in about 100 hours of GTA, vanilla, single player only and 'round 48 Hours in the expansions, while i can barely bring myself to play San Andreas anymore after 27 hours. Vice City is kinda fun though.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
The city is wonderfully detailed, and the little details, from the stranger missions to the cell phone options to the internet, are really interesting, but the story is nonsensical, the characters are frustrating, and most of the missions are unimaginative. It's a very impressive game, but not remotely fun.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
"Worst game ever" might be a bit strong there. I mean, there's ET for the Atari and QWOP for the Undying Oblivion that Lives Within Us All.

I haven't actually played GTA 4. Which is weird because I was such a fan of GTA 3. And the genre is very easily in my top 3 list of favorite genres. I've just... never actually borrowed/bought/watched someone play the game...

I agree with the people who are making fun of you, Dense, because your don't play a game you hate for 5 hours, much less 300+.

What, did you suddenly wake up after hour 305 and go:
"...Oh my GOD! I HATE THIS! This is awful! ...in fact, I'm going to keep playing just to make sure!"
*Hour 306*
"OH CRAP! This still sucks!"
*Hour 505*
"I'm really not enjoying myself because this is so horrible!"
*Hour 3507*
"I can't stop throwing up while playing through it for my 100th time it's just so disgusting!"
*Hour 87624*
"You all still believe that I can't stand this game, right?"

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Worse than SA? Yes.
Worst game ever? Heeeeeeeeeeeell, no.
If GTA4 is worst game you have ever played you are really lucky, and I seriously envy you.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
We're never going to take you seriously if it's the worst game you've ever played next to The Game That Shall Not Be Named, and you played 300+ hours of it.

That just means you've never, EVER played a bad game (except The Game That Shall Not Be Named).

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I'm not sure if this is a joke topic or not due to the 300+ hours comment.

That said, I'm not too fond of "Grand Theft Auto IV" myself, it seemed like a step backwards for the series, in comparison I liked "Saint's Row 2" which was it's competitor at the time a *lot* more.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
GTA IV has massive failures.

However it is still way ahead of being the worst game evar!!!

Sure GTA IV sacrificed any fun and levity to a gritty story. Sure GTA IV is the worst game of all the GTA games. Sure GTA IV is the most boring and banal game of the series. Sure GTA IV has the most disconnected protagonist of any game. One that actively ruins your fun. Sure GTA IV has horrible optimization for PC etc.

But you still put over 300 hours into it.

I only put in 50 and I LIKED the game.

That should tell you something about your own standards.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Hates GTA IV.

Has 300+ hours of play time.

Does that mean you're a masochist?

OT: I liked GTA IV, I don't think I'll ever play it again, but it was really good while it lasted, albeit it a little too serious at times.
Pretty much all of this.

I really enjoyed the story but it did feel like a game I only needed to play through once.