GTA: San Andreas Bigfoot Rumors Persist

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
GTA: San Andreas Bigfoot Rumors Persist

After a decade, players continue searching for the supposed easter egg.

There's real draw in the hunt for mythical creatures. Be they sea monsters or hulking apes, the idea that reality is not as you've been told pulls many into fantastic hunts for creatures that common sense denies. Perhaps because of a combination of monster truck rallies and tales told by creepy, distant relatives, legends of Bigfoot hold a particular sway over America. While [a href=http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/finding-bigfoot]teams of experts[/a] meticulously scour the wilderness with shaky cam footage, others are searching through the electronic confines of GTA: San Andreas. After nearly a decade, rumors persist that the mysterious ape can be found wandering the Back o Beyond region of the sandbox title.

"I have seen strange figures in the fog before, but pedestrians can sometimes appear in weird places," player Kaleb Krimmel is quoted by [a href=http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/08/grand-theft-autos-bigfoot-hunters.html]The New Yorker[/a]. "While this sort of computer error describes most of my encounters, this time was different. I was in Back o Beyond, walking up a hill. It was foggy out, but behind some plants I clearly saw a giant black figure. I aimed my camera to take a picture, but by the time I steadied the viewfinder it was gone." Similarly vague stories fuel rumors that Bigfoot is somewhere in the game, with entire groups springing up around the mystery.

Of course, it didn't take long for modders to add the beast in themselves, which caused issues for the hunters. "Many Web sites make the Bigfoot myth out to be some fan-made story that's simply gotten out of hand," said Rob Silver, a Bigfoot believer who runs an unnamed GTA myth site.

If modders can uncover the hot coffee mini-game, presumably they could uncover the existence of a gangland Bigfoot as well, but no evidence has been found. Rockstar's CEO Terry Donovan has even gone on record as saying that "There is no Bigfoot, just like in real life." But why let that stop the fun? It makes me wonder if there's still a guy who sits in front of a yellowed PS1, desperately banging away to find the Tomb Raider nude cheat code.

Source: [a href=http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/elements/2013/08/grand-theft-autos-bigfoot-hunters.html]The New Yorker[/a]

DyqstARD

Jul 20, 2011
Is it just me that thinks the image right there is just the hunched over old man/women model, and its distinct style of walking? because that's sure what it look looks like.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
blade6441 said:
Is it just me that thinks the image right there is just the hunched over old man/women model, and its distinct style of walking? because that's sure what it look looks like.
Pretty much what I thought.

Not that I'd be surprised if they did include Big Foot. GTA games may not be as wacky as Saints Row, but they do have their fair share of quirkiness.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
It's not really a myth as such. I'm sure there's people who believe it, but I'm willing to wager that most people who spread it do it for shits and giggles. It's essentially a meme. The game resources have long since been cracked wide open, so we can see everything that's in the game, even including a bit of cut content.

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
I was wondering if people still hunted him, recently. Guess this answers that.

Sam Lowry

Aug 26, 2013
The 'Six years on the making' achievement on Red Dead Redemption pretty much debunked this.

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
I wonder what Easter eggs will be in GTA V?

Lots of countryside, who knows maybe bigfoot will make his GTA début.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Sam Lowry said:
The 'Six years on the making' achievement on Red Dead Redemption pretty much debunked this.
To explain to those who never played Red Dead or got the Zombie expansion, in Undead Nightmare you can meet, kill, and skin and actual Big Foot. Undead Nightmare came out six years to the DAY San Andreas came out.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Overquoted said:
And GTA IV had the subway's Ratman.
And in Vice City, there was a rumor that the one-armed skeleton in that open grave behind Romero's Funeral Parlor would disappear at some point - only to return later, having reclaimed its missing arm from the nearby butcher shop!

I think this is probably the most impressive thing about Rockstar's games: They always put their heart and soul into creating the biggest, most diverse and realistic world that current technology will allow - to the point where those pixel-perfect murky woodlands and grimy subway tunnels evoke very much the same sense of subtle but potentially overpowering dread as one tends to get from a similarily creepy, foreboding location in real life!

Yeah. Rockstar don't need to actually INCLUDE any weird things that go bump in the night - these are readily supplied by each player's own imagination! Just like in real life!

Respect.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Oh, I remember when this rumor started. Fun times. Really. When San Andreas came out I didn't see the real sun for weeks.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
IanDavis said:
It makes me wonder if there's still a guy who sits in front of a yellowed PS1, desperately banging away to find the Tomb Raider nude cheat code.
Let's be serious here. If this is the case, the PS1 is white, not yellowed.