GTA V Making PS3 Run Hot???

2HF

May 24, 2011
Generally I can't hear the fan on my PS3 ever but since I've started playing GTA V it's been extremely noticeable. I know it must be a drain on the hardware but I'm starting to worry. Anyone else having this issue? Anyone hear of PS3s melting down? Anything at all?

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
First some basic questions: Is your PS3 in a well ventilated area? Are you playing it longer than normal? Compared to this how loud is yours?

My PS3 is in a tiny shelf and if I play it for several hours the fans sound like the beginning of the video. It stops if I move it into a more open space or put a fan to air out the shelf. Could it be something simple like that?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
TehCookie said:
First some basic questions: Is your PS3 in a well ventilated area? Are you playing it longer than normal? Compared to this how loud is yours?

My PS3 is in a tiny shelf and if I play it for several hours the fans sound like the beginning of the video. It stops if I move it into a more open space or put a fan to air out the shelf. Could it be something simple like that?
Quick question/s:

where is the fan supposed to be?
is it alright to keep it on top of a cardboard box (a PS2 box, incidentally, with my PS2 inside)?

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
If it's not a matter of ventilation or whatnot in your case, I was kind of worried about this.
When everyone was saying how amazing the game looks fidelity wise, all the detail and most of all, lack of loading screens, yeah I was a bit worried we were going to start getting reports of consoles up and dying because of all the strain.

Hope to god I'm wrong.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
2HF said:
Generally I can't hear the fan on my PS3 ever but since I've started playing GTA V it's been extremely noticeable. I know it must be a drain on the hardware but I'm starting to worry. Anyone else having this issue? Anyone hear of PS3s melting down? Anything at all?
Are you using an older hardware/software emulation 'fat' PS3 or one of the later 'slim' models?
If it's a slim, I wouldn't worry too much, but there's been some debate over which is the best position for a PS3, meaning upright or flat on a surface. One solution I found online was simply resting the PS3 on a short, wide-ish can, like an old tuna can, but that seemed a bit ridiculous.

Speaking of ridiculous, after both my first PS3 (software PS2 emulation) and 360 (20GB) died, I decided to take no chances. I screwed some cheap wire racks onto my desktop for both my replacement PS3/360s. This was necessary because I live in a hot, humid place. It's so hot you can't dig into the earth very far because you'll hit fire and brimstone.

[/spoiler]
I'm not taking any more chances.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
My PS3 died while I was playing GTA5 and I had to buy a new one.

2HF

May 24, 2011
It's in an open air-ish area, could be better I suppose. I'm just worried because this is the only game that has this issue. Just Cause 2 was massive and had no loading points but it ran smooth. I have the slim model, the newest one.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
sb666 said:
Soooooooo........

Well I'll wait for the theoretical PS4 or PC version, unless I hear that these are isolated incidents. GTA V is not that interesting to me to risk my ps3.

I am interested in the Online so that is why I'm avoiding the 360 version as I don't have Live Gold any more.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
sb666 said:
Soooooooo........

Well I'll wait for the theoretical PS4 or PC version, unless I hear that these are isolated incidents. GTA V is not that interesting to me to risk my ps3.

I am interested in the Online so that is why I'm avoiding the 360 version as I don't have Live Gold any more.
It's absolutely fine, don't worry. The fat PS3's are ticking time bombs just like the original 360s, pre-elite. It's just that Microsoft were much more open about their problems and offered a three year warranty unlike Sony.

My first slim revision PS3 doesn't run any hotter whilst playing GTA V than a normal game, as is always the case with threads and stories like these. If anyone claiming otherwise can provide repeatedly accurate evidence that isn't subjective, it would be just swell.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
TehCookie said:
-youtube snip-
Quick question/s:

where is the fan supposed to be?
is it alright to keep it on top of a cardboard box (a PS2 box, incidentally, with my PS2 inside)?
The fan is in the back, you can see when the fan kicks in overdrive above the guy move the camera next to it. Even if you have a slim model it's in a similar position. I don't see any issues with having it on a box. If it worries you just keep an ear out, if the fans are constantly running loudly it could be a problem.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
GoaThief said:
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
sb666 said:
Soooooooo........

It's absolutely fine, don't worry. The fat PS3's are ticking time bombs just like the original 360s, pre-elite. It's just that Microsoft were much more open about their problems and offered a three year warranty unlike Sony.

My first slim revision PS3 doesn't run any hotter whilst playing GTA V than a normal game, as is always the case with threads and stories like these. If anyone claiming otherwise can provide repeatedly accurate evidence that isn't subjective, it would be just swell.
My PS3 is a fat one, the 80gig MGS4 one with ps2 compatability. So is that like the Elite 360 in terms of hardware fix

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
GoaThief said:
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
sb666 said:
Soooooooo........

My PS3 is a fat one, the 80gig MGS4 one with ps2 compatability. So is that like the Elite 360 in terms of hardware fix

IIRC Sony charge £190 to fix the YLOD. If I were you I'd sell it on (high resell value due to backwards compatibility) and you should be able to pick up a slim model with no extra costs incurred. If you really need PS2 compatability just buy one as they're dirt cheap.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I still have an old fat PS3 and it's doing fine (after veeeery heavy use, I might add). No over-excited fan or anything. I keep it well ventilated and my room is fairly cool, maybe that helps. My PS3 has had some problems over the past months, shutting down all of a sudden for no identifiable reason (particularly while playing Saints Row IV), but I haven't had that happen a single time during GTA V yet. I hope it holds. :)

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
I went out and bought a new PS3 with my copy of GTA, so no I have not had any overheating problems.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FizzyIzze said:
Speaking of ridiculous, after both my first PS3 (software PS2 emulation) and 360 (20GB) died, I decided to take no chances. I screwed some cheap wire racks onto my desktop for both my replacement PS3/360s.
I was going to mention those wire racks. They're useful in a stable area.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I have a fat PS3 and it does increase the fan speed at times, not unexpected as it's pushing the hardware to it's limits (also it's spring here so starting to warm up abit). Where abouts do you live?

EDIT: Also I'm thinking about cleaning the vents, so I also suggest you check that it's not got dust etc in them.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
If been playing it off and on ever since I got it last tuesday and I've had no problems whatsoever. No crashes, no glitches, no nothing.

*knocks on wood*

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
GoaThief said:
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
sb666 said:
Soooooooo........

What do you mean they're ticking time bombs? Do you have any evidence of this? I have a 80GB MGS4 model and it runs fine still. And the Elite models were not exactly great either. My Elite RRoD, but luckily I got it replaced under that 3 year warranty deal.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
sb666 said:
But I thought consoles always ran games with no problems and no bugs??? I mean that's what every console defense force person has told me but I guess its not true.

LifelessArt

Jun 6, 2013
2HF said:
Actually, I have been having the same issue. Last night, as I was playing, I began to notice an extremely loud sound. I thought it was the video game's audio at first, but after muting the television did I discover that it was actually coming from the Playstation. Now, I do have an original "fat" model and it seems to be going strong in its performance, which is a god-send seeing as I've never once cleaned the fan since purchasing it, but will do so in order to increase the likelihood of maintaining the life of the PS3. I guess the fact that my basement is exceptionally cold year round helps to keep the system from crashing, but it is getting on in years and I am worried that this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.