GTA V Mod Adds Pilotable Flying Saucer

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
GTA V Mod Adds Pilotable Flying Saucer

The mod requires a modded console to work.

First up, sorry, PC gamers, but this isn't a mod for the unconfirmed-but-totally-coming-soon PC version of Grand Theft Auto V, but the PS3 version of the game. Some dedicated modders, disappointed by the fact that while you could collect spaceship parts in GTA V, and even witness the ship itself if you get 100% completion, a pilotable ship didn't exist anywhere in the retail game. So, they modded one in.

The mod, which you can download here [http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/release-ufo-mod-fly-a-ufo.1116147/], unfortunately requires a modified Xbox 360 or PS3 to run, and a little bit of knowledge on how game files are stored to installed. Once you've got it working though, it basically switches your "parachute" to the UFO vehicle, allowing you free flight over the city of Los Santos.

Check out the footage to the right to see the spaceship in action, which despite being the same spaceship you can see in Mount Chiliad, when you get 100% completion in the game, has a fully-detailed interior. You can't help but think that a pilotable UFO was something Rockstar intended to put into the final version of the game, but got the cut at some point in development.

Usually, it's the crazy GTA IV PC mods [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123162-GTA-IVs-Iron-Man-Mod-Is-Exactly-What-You-Hope-It-Is] that we hear about, so it's cool to see that we are already seeing interesting mods despite the game only being out on last-gen consoles. I can only imagine the crazy stuff we'll see once the PC mod scene finally gets their hands on it.

Rockstar. GTA V PC version. Plz.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/theres-a-flyable-spaceship-in-gta-v-thanks-to-modders-1566851234]

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Or I could just play Saints Row IV, which already has a pilotable flying saucer in it, and is on PC.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
I don't know what that accent the fellow in the vid has is called, but I know that when I hear it, a tiny bit of bile comes up.
Cool mod, but I guess I'll never play it. Ah well.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
GTA IV's PC port was an unoptimized disaster that runs poorly even on high-end machines and makes me want to shove both of my legs up my ass to the knee.

But you're right- Those mods are awesome.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Asclepion said:
Steven Bogos said:
GTA IV's PC port was an unoptimized disaster that runs poorly even on high-end machines and makes me want to shove both of my legs up my ass to the knee.

But you're right- Those mods are awesome.
I really like to play GTA V on my 360 but the 20FPS really hurt the experience (not that its unplayable but that we just know that we could be playing it at 60 on the PC).

And for the mods Im weirdly not in need of big game changers like I was with IV, most of what I want is small tweaks (the enemy accuracy has to be toned down a bit and the armored suit needs to be available outside of missions for example) but yeah, the more content/mods available the better.

Probably the biggest game changer mod that I want is the first person mod that IV had, that shit was immersive as fuck and V really needs that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This isn't all that uncommon (I've seen a bunch of mods that use a modded Xbox), but cool, I guess.

IceForce said:
Or I could just play Saints Row IV, which already has a pilotable flying saucer in it, and is on PC.
And apparently runs like shit on a wide swathe of PCs, even with a community providing fixes.

So it really is a Rockstar game on PC in everything but name.

josemlopes said:
I really like to play GTA V on my 360 but the 20FPS really hurt the experience (not that its unplayable but that we just know that we could be playing it at 60 on the PC).
Assuming they release a competent version.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MinionJoe said:
"Shit" like what?
I said "Runs like shit." "Shit like what" makes no sense.

But since we're talking framerates, I get an average of 13 FPS on a PC that can handle Skyrim on Ultra (Admittedly, with not the best framerate, but still). And I've recently found out I'm not alone. Several people with only slightly worse cards than me can't get a stable framerate when using settings below the "low" presets on IV. And this was also an issue with 3--one they said they fixed. There are tons of complaints on the Steam Forums, on YouTube, and in the modding community sites.

Now, before we go any further, I'm not a framerate snob. I spent most of this generation on a console. That's right, I'm one of those filthy console peasants you hear about. But I expect my computer, its parts all relatively new, to be able to perform with at least parity to an eight year old console. Give me a stable 30, and I'll be happy as a pig in slop. Give me mid-twentties or the occasional dip, I'm okay. But when my framerate drops to single digits routinely (and on a game where I think the lowest framerate Skyrim has given me was 25 FPS), then yeah, I'ma have complaints. Especially when many of the known bugs with the game are a problem when your framerate drops below 20.

But back to the topic. It's really nice that you, personally, yourself have not had a problem with the game. But that's only really relevant if I said that everyone did, or you represent everyone and can therefore refute it. I didn't say the former and I'm going to give you credit and assume you weren't implying the latter. I said "broad swathes," and there are a TON of complaints about issues with the game from a TON of people. If it doesn't affect you? Great. Then again, I've never encountered a game-breaking glitch in an Elder Scrolls game[footnote]Note the phrase, "game-breaking" because I'm not saying I've never seen any glitches[/footnote], but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Or aren't pretty common. I've never had a YLOD, but they apparently hit a tenth of the PS3 generation. Things happen even if they don't directly affect us.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
IceForce said:
pretty much this is what I was thinking when I saw this thread. It even has death rays and plasma missiles. It's great.

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Then again, I've never encountered a game-breaking glitch in an Elder Scrolls game
You never encountered the invincible, super-sonic, backwards flying dragons, then? Lucky sod. :p

OT:
Steven Bogos said:
Check out the footage to the right to see the spaceship in action, which despite being the same spaceship you can see in Mount Chiliad
A shame it's not the one that's seen, oh wait: SPOILER ALERT!

the one seen over Fort Zancudo.

That one looks far cooler than the other model, and sounds absolutely terrifying when you get near it. Oh well, can't win 'em all, I guess. I'll wait for it to come out on PC and for the modding community to make it flyable.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
IceForce said:
But Saints Row Third and IV only have 2-person (might be 4 but maybe too few people are online to see).
But GTA IV's multiplayer on PC is almost as barren, perhaps thanks to Microsoft's dumb Games For Windows Live service.

I have a dream of a 32-person sandbox with at least as much content as GTA V. I want to be hang glide racing with bicyclists when a plane does loop-de-loops around us and helicopters dance the air! Oh, and someone sliding on a self-made ice rink above a river bank or some other superpowered activity; maybe just gliding like in Prototype or Saints Row IV.
But we just can't have incredibly nice things, can we? Games can only improve incrementally.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Xman490 said:
IceForce said:
I have a dream of a 32-person sandbox with at least as much content as GTA V. I want to be hang glide racing with bicyclists when a plane does loop-de-loops around us and helicopters dance the air! Oh, and someone sliding on a self-made ice rink above a river bank or some other superpowered activity; maybe just gliding like in Prototype or Saints Row IV.
But we just can't have incredibly nice things, can we? Games can only improve incrementally.
play San Andreas multiplayer mod in a server that has its own mods. you can get a nice 100 players in the city while you are robbing a bank and then suddenly a hydra lands on the building with 5 police helicopters chasing it, because another player sucks at flying.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MinionJoe said:
"Shit" like the details you provided in your reply.
Which didn't answer the question you asked. It may have answered the question you meant to ask, but you addressed me as though shit was a different part of speech.

People running older machines could run the game while newer one's could not. I suspect it has something do with the time it takes to develop a game and the changes in hardware/OS/etc during that time.

For comparison, my system is an Athlon dual-core clocked to 3.2GHz with 8Gb DDR2 and an AMD 5750. It certainly can't run Skyrim on Ultra, but it's pretty stable otherwise.

I do hope your problems get addressed and resolved. No guarantee this will work with SRIV, but have you tried installing older video drivers?
It has nothing to do with age of the machine. A large part of it is if you use AMD (which they were actually advertising and appears on the splash screen), but even that's not a given. There are problems with nVidia graphics cards, too. Whole lines of both, evidently. Older cards, newer cards....

It's just a really shitty....I don't know, port? version? I don't know if it was developed alongside the consoles or what. And the problems have been known (and they claimed to have fixed them) since SR3 was new. What I was getting at is that the job they did was in line with Rockstar's GTA IV job.

And in reality, they won't get addressed. They weren't addressed for 2 (granted, that was done by CD Projekt), they weren't (Actually) addressed for 3, so....When five comes out, I'll either skip it or get it for console. Probably the former because I'm not a fan of this.

Idsertian said:
You never encountered the invincible, super-sonic, backwards flying dragons, then? Lucky sod. :p
I'm pretty sure it is luck. I've never had a major glitch in a TES or Fallout game. No broken quests or invincible enemies or data deletion. Hoping this pattern holds up.