GTA V's Secret Playable Bigfoot Mode Discovered

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
GTA V's Secret Playable Bigfoot Mode Discovered

This Grand Theft Auto V secret is super buried, and took quite a bit of detective work to discover.

Earlier this week, Rockstar Games rolled out a rather unassuming Grand Theft Auto V update that added the Cryptozoologist achievement/trophy to the game. Essentially, it tasks players with seeking out peyote plants in the game world, which upon ingestion will cause your character to hallucinate as an animal, allowing you to play briefly as said animal, as well as unlocking its use in the game's movie editor mode.

The thing is, even when all animals are found at the achievement is unlocked, the counter reads 21/22, and offers the cryptic message "You unlocked all animals for use in Director Mode... or did you?" Internet super sleuths have dug and dug and finally found Bigfoot, the secret 22nd animal, by performing a series of events akin to one of the old video gaming urban legends of yore.

To unlock it, you have to play the game on a Tuesday from 5.30-8.30am while the weather is set to foggy on PC (or snow on PS4/Xbox One). If you travel to the co-ordinates -1472.531, 4439.456, 18.862 you can find a special golden peyote plant that will turn you into Sasquatch.

But that's not all. In order to be able to find the plant, you have to have finished the game's main story, found all of the other animal peyote plants, and completed the mission The Last One without killing Sasquatch.

Still, if you check all these requirements, you'll find yourself in control of a fully playable Bigfoot. Check out the video above from YouTuber 2H2K [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NKZBHWUJ84] to see it in action.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-23-grand-theft-auto-5s-playable-bigfoot-easter-egg-discovered]

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
I love it when memes and urban legends ascend and become part of the games they are based in.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Essentially, it tasks players with seeking out peyote plants in the game world, which upon ingestion will cause your character to hallucinate as an animal, allowing you to play briefly as said animal, as well as unlocking its use in the game's movie editor mode.
Alternatively, you can just use a skin changer to achieve the exact same result. The video shows clearly it is just a skin change anyway, probably with more restrictions too.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Strazdas said:
Essentially, it tasks players with seeking out peyote plants in the game world, which upon ingestion will cause your character to hallucinate as an animal, allowing you to play briefly as said animal, as well as unlocking its use in the game's movie editor mode.
Alternatively, you can just use a skin changer to achieve the exact same result. The video shows clearly it is just a skin change anyway, probably with more restrictions too.
You can also mod some games to be completely different or new games! Should developers just stop making all games? I mean, we can more or less achieve the same thing.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Strazdas said:
... You can also just cheat in a UFO, doesn't change the fact that it's a cool easter egg to find one in the game. I can also mod GTA to be a train simulator. Doesn't mean the game IS a train simulator.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Strazdas said:
You could also unlock masses of achievements with cheat codes...but it's just not the same as being Steve Irwin in a video game. :<

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Barbas said:
You could also unlock masses of achievements with cheat codes...but it's just not the same as being Steve Irwin in a video game. :<
You mean you can't jam your thumb in Bigfoot's butt?

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Hey guys, what's going on in this th-
008Zulu said:
Well that's enough escapist for me today.

All seriousness, it's nice to see they're still updating the game, and then I notice it's next gen only. Sadness.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I haven't bothered with the peyote plants except once to show friends. Maybe this'll make it fun to go hunt for them.

EDIT: never mind, just saw it requires snow in the console versions. Since snow happens for like a month or you need a cheat, I probably won't bother.

008Zulu said:
Give it a week. There'll be a mod for that.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I love when devs acknowledge the fandom's memes, makes the devs seem more like fans themselves instead of just a big corporation.

Makes me wonder if there is anything else hidden...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Elijin said:
You can also mod some games to be completely different or new games! Should developers just stop making all games? I mean, we can more or less achieve the same thing.
I never said that, merely showed an alternative that achieves the same result.

Also a lot of sequels are just total overhaul mods running on same core game. except they are done by the developers.

Lil_Rimmy said:
... You can also just cheat in a UFO, doesn't change the fact that it's a cool easter egg to find one in the game. I can also mod GTA to be a train simulator. Doesn't mean the game IS a train simulator.
where did i say that this is not a cool easter egg? and yes, in that state the game is at least in part train simulator.

Barbas said:
Whatever makes your gaming experience fun. If you think searching for peyote plants are fun more power to you. if you dont, there is an alternative and i pointed it out.