Guacamelee! Review - Viva la Mexicovania!

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Guacamelee! Review - Viva la Mexicovania!

It?s a game about suplexing skeletons. What more do you people want?

Read Full Article

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Aw, no Steam Release?

I was like 'Wow this sounds like tons of fun!' but then i saw that it was for the Vita and Ps3.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Sounds like fun, but $25 is out of my budget at the moment for a game like this, will keep it in mind though. I like the idea of a Super Metroid style game, but playing as a Luchador.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
chozo_hybrid said:
Sounds like fun, but $25 is out of my budget at the moment for a game like this, will keep it in mind though. I like the idea of a Super Metroid style game, but playing as a Luchador.
$25 bucks? It's $14.99 on PSN, and as of yesterday was on sale for Playstation Plus members at $11.99. But I agree, I've heard it's fairly short.

chozo_hybrid

Jul 15, 2009
otakon17 said:
chozo_hybrid said:
$25 bucks? It's $14.99 on PSN, and as of yesterday was on sale for Playstation Plus members at $11.99. But I agree, I've heard it's fairly short.
Not everyone lives in America, for the NZ PlayStation Store, it's $24.95 which makes it a little more pricey. Not a PS plus member, so yeah, counts me out of that unfortunately.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Good game and a must buy for the Vita when I manage to save enough for it.

Also here's one of the artists who worked on the backdrops for the game and she also makes her own music and art.

http://lawlzy.deviantart.com/

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
chozo_hybrid said:
otakon17 said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Not everyone lives in America, for the NZ PlayStation Store, it's $24.95 which makes it a little more pricey. Not a PS plus member, so yeah, counts me out of that unfortunately.
That's true but you should probably at least mention you're not talking about USD when you say that, otherwise it looks like you're just randomly contradicting the price quoted in the review for no reason. If I said "Looks alright but probably not worth my $450*" I'd fully expect someone to ask me wtf I'm talking about.

*(according to google $450 is what you get exchanging $15 usd to New Taiwan Dollar)

Anyway, good review, the game looks interesting but I have no real interest getting it on the PSN unfortunately... Maybe a PC port might happen in the future.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
I found the game's "Metroidvania" aspects very underwhelming. The map is all over the place, so you don't really get that feeling of "filling in the map" like you do in normal MV games, where the map is compact and you can see the shapes of each room fitting around each other (which also makes it more fun to look for hidden rooms). There also isn't really that much backtracking to reach previously inaccessible areas, and usually those just end up being money chests. While yes, there is backtracking, the game's still pretty linear (more so than not), the backtracking is more just a result of each new destination being thrown randomly onto the map.

On the other hand, this game is brutally difficult, particularly if you're expecting a typical Metroidvania game. The platforming is often akin to Super Meat Boy, and the combat gets extremely hectic and overwhelming late in the game. One boss late in the game is so cheap that I'm just not going to bother anymore.

I know nobody likes to hear from "oh this game's too hard" whiners like me, but I still think it's something people should know about this game. I wish I'd known before I bought it.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
I haven't beaten it yet but so far it is FANTASTIC! I've already reached platforming sections that actually require skill, and the combat gets pretty intense, and the move set is so fun to play around with (I recommend going to the chicken dojo or whatever it's called to learn how you can chain moves together). Also, while the combat and platforming is no cake-walk, the checkpoints are very frequent so I never feel that frustrated. I just love that it demands attention and skill.

Drinkbox has already become one of my favorite developers, seeing as how the only other must-play on the Vita is by them and it, too, is pure fun and no fluff. I agree that the references are a little over-done and not always funny/creative, but the original humor I've seen so far has been pretty great.

chozo_hybrid

Jul 15, 2009
Ilikemilkshake said:
Good point, will remember in future. I usually just look at someones profile to see where they're from and then I know, it's how I knew you are in the UK according to your profile :D I think people just need to remember that Americans aren't the only English speakers or consumers on the net.

Aitamen

Dec 6, 2011
I think that some of the glory of SMetroid and C:SotN was accidental, in it's glitchy-ness and "Why the hell not?" idealism... But if they got the rest of it right, it might well be worth a shot.

BakedSardine

Dec 3, 2013
BTW Guacamelee is $3.75 cross-buy for PlayStation Plus members this week - going to have to spring for it. That $10 credit with the PS4 is coming in handy. Picking up this and just grabbed Spelunky for the same price and have $2.50 left over, LOL

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
BakedSardine said:
BTW Guacamelee is $3.75 cross-buy for PlayStation Plus members this week - going to have to spring for it. That $10 credit with the PS4 is coming in handy. Picking up this and just grabbed Spelunky for the same price and have $2.50 left over, LOL
And both games are worth it, even for the Vita versions alone.

This game's reference to Super Mario Bros also harkens to New Super Mario Bros Wii's final boss fight with Giant Bowser, which has been the final boss of the later NSMB and Super Mario 3D World in one way or another. It's an interesting trend.