Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Will Be Smaller and "Moving"

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Will Be Smaller and "Moving"

Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn has said that Guardians 2 will have a smaller cast and be more character focused.

A few days ago <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141020-James-Gunns-Guardians-2-Pitch-Brought-Tears-to-Chris-Pratts-Eyes>we reported that actor Chris Pratt was made a bit misty-eyed by director James Gunn's "remarkable" plans for Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Unfortunately, while he wasn't shy about his feelings, Pratt understandably wasn't able to share much about what those plans actually were. That said, some new comments from Gunn himself have shed a bit more light on where the next film is going and how big it's going to be. And if his statements are any indicator, Guardians 2 might actually wind up being a smaller affair, at least in terms of its cast, than the its predecessor.

"People ask for so many characters to be in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and they ask for so many actors who they want to be in <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/guardians%20of%20the%20galaxy%202?os=guardians+of+the+galaxy+2>Guardians of the Galaxy 2," Gunn said. "But we actually have less characters in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 than we have in Guardians of the Galaxy 1 because everything is just getting too sprawling and too crazy for me in these superhero comic book movies." He would go on to say that the new film's script has shrunk down the overall cast and even cut planned additions so that it can, instead, focus on fleshing out the characters from part one. "I really want to get to know the characters that we know better," he said.

This isn't to say that the new movie will be nothing but returning characters. While Gunn was firm about his desire to make the next Guardians smaller and more focused, he did confirm that it will introduce at least one "new character." The question that raises, of course, is who said character will be. Speaking personally, my money's on Star-Lord's Dad. I won't go into too much detail, just in case some readers have only watched the movie, but Star-Lord and his father's relationship, as represented in the comics, would be perfect fodder for a story that's more personal while still being action-packed and fun like the first Guardians was. Whoever the new movie introduces, Gunn seems confident that they and the story overall will resonate with audiences. "It's a very moving script," he said. "I think we have a story that's really, truly for everyone and it just happens to be about aliens."

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will hit theaters on May 5th, 2017.

Source: <a href=http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/fewer-characters-in-guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-james-gunn-says>Comic Book Resources

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
This is exactly what Hollywood needs. Everything has to be bigger. Everything has to be a spectacle. It's nice to see someone go for a deeper experiance.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This is good news. Not everything has to be about the fate of the world/galaxy/universe. This is why I like Iron Man movies so much. Out of all the Marvel movies (Hulk excluded because it's boring) they are focused entirely on the characters. Sure, first Iron Man set up the entire franchise, but it's a good movie on its own even if you forget that it serves as the building block of MCU. I think that most people have forgotten how good the first Iron Man was. You should all watch it again.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
This is kinda the direction I wanted Avengers 2 to go. On board!

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
This smaller scale reminds me of a conversation I had with a co-worker last night. The MCU is getting too big. By the time the last Avenger movie comes out and if all heroes are still alive and present, we will have 23 characters for the hero side alone. That's not including unknown heroes that may join later on or villains who return as allies. It would be tough just to show each one of in battle, much less give them character arcs. At that moment it dawned on me that comics don't make good movies. They expect the reader to know everything about a character when they first appear in the series. You just can't do that in Hollywood.

Anyway, good. Just kick out Gamora and Drax, replace them with hot, lesbian Quasar and Adam Warlock. You'd get yourself a masterpiece.

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
StewShearer said:
"I really want to get to know the characters that we know better," he said.

"It's a very moving script," he said. "I think we have a story that's really, truly for everyone and it just happens to be about aliens."
Wow this sounds terrible...
GOTG was not a film based around character depth. The characters were fun, unique and refreshing and this seems like a good way to ruin them.
We already know everything we need too about them. Showing us Drax's dead family, rocket being experimented on, Gamora being kidnapped and indoctrinated or Groots childhood would be silly, depressing and a waste of time.

StewShearer said:
my money's on Star-Lord's Dad. I won't go into too much detail, just in case some readers have only watched the movie, but Star-Lord and his father's relationship, as represented in the comics, would be perfect fodder for a story that's more personal while still being action-packed and fun like the first Guardians was.
It can't be his space king dad from the comics, it wouldn't make any sense. GOTG goes out of it's way to say that Peter Quill's DNA is half of some ancient and mysterious immortal (DNA cannot be ancient).
His dad from the comics is none of these things.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Stupidity said:
StewShearer said:
"I really want to get to know the characters that we know better," he said.

"It's a very moving script," he said. "I think we have a story that's really, truly for everyone and it just happens to be about aliens."
Wow this sounds terrible...
GOTG was not a film based around character depth. The characters were fun, unique and refreshing and this seems like a good way to ruin them.
We already know everything we need too about them. Showing us Drax's dead family, rocket being experimented on, Gamora being kidnapped and indoctrinated or Groots childhood would be silly, depressing and a waste of time.

StewShearer said:
my money's on Star-Lord's Dad. I won't go into too much detail, just in case some readers have only watched the movie, but Star-Lord and his father's relationship, as represented in the comics, would be perfect fodder for a story that's more personal while still being action-packed and fun like the first Guardians was.
It can't be his space king dad from the comics, it wouldn't make any sense. GOTG goes out of it's way to say that Peter Quill's DNA is half of some ancient and mysterious immortal (DNA cannot be ancient).
His dad from the comics is none of these things.
No reason they couldn't tweak his Dad to be all fancy too. ;)

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
StewShearer said:
No reason they couldn't tweak his Dad to be all fancy too. ;)
A secret immortal ruler of an entire planet/empire?
One that apparently travels around the universe fathering children on random planets?

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
K12 said:
This is kinda the direction I wanted Avengers 2 to go. On board!
Ninjas. Damn.

So this isn't a low content post, I am looking forward to it. I wasn't as into the first one as much as some other people (I still liked it, but it wasn't my favorite of the second wave of Marvel movies), but with what he's saying, this sounds awesome.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
sounds good. i also like to know the characters more than just full on action that is great on the eye but has nothing to serve about the motivations of the characters. so im fine with that.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Yep Star Lords dad is probably the safe bet. I do suspect the film will at least end with a tease of some new guardians such as Adam Warlock or Phyla-vell however. They gotta get someone to replace Groot after all and his dad isn't the sort to stick around as a hero.