Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Earns $145 Million in its First Weekend

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Earns $145 Million in its First Weekend

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 dominated the domestic box office in its first weekend, earning $145 million.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 opened this past weekend, and it blew away everything else at the domestic box office. According to Box Office Mojo [http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4290], the film accounted for "over 79% of the cumulative top ten gross." The $145 million the film earned this weekend was almost 54 percent higher that the $94.3 million the first film earned.

Most impressively, Guardians 2 recorded the largest increase in opening weekend revenue for any second film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Box Office Mojo estimates that the film could gross over $400 million domestically in total.

International revenues added another $123.8 million over the weekend, bringing its international total up to $282.6 million just 13 days after release. That means that so far, the film has already pulled in $427.6 million. That total means that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has now brought in over $11 billion worldwide.

If you saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 over the weekend, let us know what you thought of it in the forums!

[gallery=7340]

animeprime

Feb 18, 2013
Thought it was really good. Visuals were awesome, Yondu's arc was great, lots of great humor. Unfortunately there was some cringy moments, the music in the background trick they pulled in the first one came off as stale this time around, and it was more "potty mouthed" than the first. Also, best Stan Lee cameo ever.

Edit: I heard the first one was a big flop in China since the humor and references didn't translate well, would be interesting to see if it picks up there this time around.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Nice, I need to see it at some point, really liked the first one.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
animeprime said:
Thought it was really good. Visuals were awesome, Yondu's arc was great, lots of great humor. Unfortunately there was some cringy moments, the music in the background trick they pulled in the first one came off as stale this time around, and it was more "potty mouthed" than the first. Also, best Stan Lee cameo ever.

Edit: I heard the first one was a big flop in China since the humor and references didn't translate well, would be interesting to see if it picks up there this time around.
Really disappointed "Fox on the Run" wasn't played during the film, i feel like it would of went well with Yondu's and Rockets scene.

Overall its a good film though, but for different reasons than the first, while the first was in your face action every 10 minutes or so, this one had much better character building during the middle of the film.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Buizel91 said:
Really disappointed "Fox on the Run" wasn't played during the film, i feel like it would of went well with Yondu's and Rockets scene.
Was literally thinking the same thing recently, was still a fanatstic soundtrack but I feel Awesome Mix Vol. 1 was more iconic plus I loved every single track on that one. Vol. 2 is slowly growing on me but there's one I'm finding very catchy: