Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 3 Confirmed, James Gunn to Direct

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 3 Confirmed, James Gunn to Direct

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/779/779111.jpg
Director James Gunn, who was behind the first two Guardians of The Galaxy movies, will helm the third installment.

Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168656-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol-2-Trailer-Revealed] isn't even out yet, but as it often is in the world of comic book movies, a sequel has already been confirmed. James Gunn, who directed the original movie and the upcoming sequel, has announced that he will be returning to helm Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 3.

"I can't fricking wait to get started," said Gunn in a Facebook post [https://www.facebook.com/jgunn/posts/10154170335931157], noting that "like in both Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, we will work on creating the story that goes beyond what you expect."

Gunn went on to give us a little bit of an insight into the movie's story, stating "It will conclude the story of this iteration of the Guardians of the Galaxy, and help catapult both old and new Marvel characters into the next ten years and beyond," he said, adding that he "will be working side-by-side with Kevin Feige and the gang to help design where these stories go, and make sure the future of the Marvel Cosmic Universe is as special and authentic and magical as what we have created so far."

"In the end, my love for Rocket, Groot, Gamora, Star-Lord, Yondu, Mantis, Drax, and Nebula - and some of the other forthcoming heroes - goes deeper than you guys can possibly imagine, and I feel they have more adventures to go on and things to learn about themselves and the wonderful and sometimes terrifying universe we all inhabit," said Gunn.

Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 3 will take place sometime after the events of Avengers: Infinity War.

Source: Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/jgunn/posts/10154170335931157]

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
On one hand, I am more than on board with Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (the first was one of the good ones from phase 2), so unless something changes drastically once I see the movie, I will likely see the 3rd one as well.

On the other hand, one of the things I appreciated the most out of the first movie was that it was a beast mostly separated from the rest of the MCU (other than the presence of the Infinity Stone, but it made a lot more sense there than in the other ones), no need to force-feed pointless cameos or leave dangling threads for other movies to pick up. I like that Gunn is pretty much doing his own stuff and I want Feige as far away of the production of this one as possible.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
I for one am eagerly awaiting the inevitable crossover with The Specials [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Specials_(film)].

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
hermes said:
On one hand, I am more than on board with Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (the first was one of the good ones from phase 2), so unless something changes drastically once I see the movie, I will likely see the 3rd one as well.

On the other hand, one of the things I appreciated the most out of the first movie was that it was a beast mostly separated from the rest of the MCU (other than the presence of the Infinity Stone, but it made a lot more sense there than in the other ones), no need to force-feed pointless cameos or leave dangling threads for other movies to pick up. I like that Gunn is pretty much doing his own stuff and I want Feige as far away of the production of this one as possible.
He's producer on every MCU film.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
MatParker116 said:
hermes said:

He's producer on every MCU film.
I know, and he was a producer in Vol 1 as well.

My point is that I don't like executive meddling. It is easily one of the main problems WB/DC had since the Schumacher's Batman movies... Fiege has been mostly unintrusive in most Marvel films, but the times he has stepped on are sorely noticed (the most infamous examples are Avengers 2 [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/why-marvel-fired-thor-2-273142]). Guardians of the Galaxy feels, for the most part, free of executive meddling and a passion work of Gunn. It was too busy with its own mythology that it didn't had need to keep referring to Earth, the avengers or leave any thread for other movies. It had so much confidence that it took the post-credit scene of the last mayor movie before the next avengers (a prime example to promote the next big movie) and made it about an obscure inside joke, with no reference to anything other than them.

Fiege input was barely felt and I just wish the following movies are kept that way.