Guatemala riots over budget, set fire to congress building over healthcare.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

Last week, while the country was dealing with two late-season hurricanes, their government passed their 2021 budget, which included large cuts to healthcare and other social services. So people took to the street largely doing peaceful protests, though some got to the congressional building and lit part of it on fire. Nobody was injured.

The government is now reviewing their budget and considering corrections.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country

Last week, while the country was dealing with two late-season hurricanes, their government passed their 2021 budget, which included large cuts to healthcare and other social services. So people took to the street largely doing peaceful protests, though some got to the congressional building and lit part of it on fire. Nobody was injured.

Seems like an inefficient community-feedback system, but at least it works.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
As far as I understand the situation, austerity has been a common theme for a few years
This has been brewing for a while

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Granted I am not the biggest fan of hoarding money or even property. I am not lusted by the need for power. But if this were the case, I would just reduce my own salary, and possibly the salary of the government officials, and say we are all in this together, or beg to ask for aid from an International non-governmental organization.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

Commendable effort by the population there, though perhaps also a long time coming (not that anyone from the United States has room to criticize for that.)

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine

"peaceful protest...lit part of it on fire"
like clockwork
1606121257507.png

Reactions: Ravinoff

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
"peaceful protest...lit part of it on fire"
like clockwork
Setting the fire, while a shitty thing to do, didn't end up hurting anybody. The cuts to healthcare will unavoidably lead to greater suffering. I await your condemnation of the latter.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Setting the fire, while a shitty thing to do, didn't end up hurting anybody. The cuts to healthcare will unavoidably lead to greater suffering. I await your condemnation of the latter.
OTOH, setting fire to a parliament building is how Hitler upgraded himself to dictator.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Go set fire to my house and make me.
Burning something down to make sure people don't die. These protestors are the worst
There's a meme here I'm too lazy to make, so I'll just plop the template here
1606137447758.png

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
OTOH, setting fire to a parliament building is how Hitler upgraded himself to dictator.
Indeed, fascists set a fire as a false flag attack that they blamed communists for, and used them as a scapegoat to suspend civil liberties and institute a dictatorship. It's nice to see you acknowledge that.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Indeed, fascists set a fire as a false flag attack that they blamed communists for, and used them as a scapegoat to suspend civil liberties and institute a dictatorship. It's nice to see you acknowledge that.
Of course, the Reichstag fire was quite likely set by a lone-actor itinerant communist, after which the far-right exploited the event to solidify a power grab.

Hey, maybe you're right, this is a useful analogy after all!
Who will pay for the repair of the public house they burned down?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Who will pay for the repair of the public house they burned down?
I imagine the upkeep of government buildings in Guatemala is the role of the Guatemalan government.

Thankfully, the protests have forced the government to re-review the spending cuts, so the expenditure won't come at the detriment of education or healthcare.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
I imagine the upkeep of government buildings in Guatemala is the role of the Guatemalan government.

Thankfully, the protests have forced the government to re-review the spending cuts, so the expenditure won't come at the detriment of education or healthcare.
They didn't have enough money for their programs, so the protestors burnt part of the building down, because there is plenty of money to spare for this kind of repair and renovation. But they have insurance, right?!? Big brain move.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
They didn't have enough money for their programs, so the protestors burnt part of the building down, because there is plenty of money to spare for this kind of repair and renovation. But they have insurance, right?!? Big brain move.
That's funny, they found the money in the budget to increase the stipend for lawmakers' meals by £50,000. Maybe the cuts weren't made out of absolute necessity after all?

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
That's funny, they found the money in the budget to increase the stipend for lawmakers' meals by £50,000. Maybe the cuts weren't made out of absolute necessity after all?
Maybe if they burned down all of the capital buildings they'd have had more money for socialized healthcare like in Germany