Guess what, DRM is now in Coffee

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Oh for pity's sake, just buy a proper espresso machine, they are cheaper to run, less wasteful and will last longer. Plus those pod machines make terrible coffee.

If you want consistent colours for WYSIWYG management you have no choice but to buy genuine ink for your printer.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
cookyt said:
*Needs moar snip*
I've definitely been thinking about the same thing in regards to console curation and the like, and you are making some legit points here. However, the conclusion I've come to here is this: The difference between software curation and coffee curation seems to be part intent, part how it's done, part industry tradition, and part market position.

The first console known for locking out unapproved games is the original NES (aka the Famicom), which ironically played a major part in bringing consoles back into relevance after the legendary Crash of '83. The major downfall that led to the Crash was the video game market being absolutely flooded with cheap, shitty, often-nonfunctional games (with E.T. and the Atari 2600 port of Pac Man being commonly seen as the straws that broke the camel's back); which lead to general consumers to lose faith in the industry as a whole and stop buying games. Nintendo's curation system meant that games at least had to fit a certain standard before being released on the NES, which played a massive part in revitalizing consumer trust after the Crash. This directly lead to such a curation system becoming standard in all future consoles, Nintendo or otherwise, leading to the scenario we see today.

Another factor that plays into console curation, especially these days, is the fight against piracy. While consoles do have a piracy problem, it's still much lower than on PC's at least early-on in a console's lifespan. Unlike with coffee, piracy is a notable issue that all devs and publishers have to deal with, and a system that actually works at curtailing it (unlike most DRM) and doesn't generally stop legitimate consumers from playing their games (unlike most DRM, again) is going to be met with a lot more welcome. In other words, the DRM serves multiple clear purposes as these two paragraphs show, unlike the DRM on coffee which seems to only serve an anti-competitive role.

There's also how they go about the restrictions. With most console exclusives, you have the product being limited to a platform, rather than the platform being limited to a product. It doesn't seem like much of a difference at first, but the idea of the game dev or publisher limiting itself to a specific console as opposed to a console limiting itself to a game make it come across as far more consumer friendly. If this was coffee, this would be like Keurig limiting it's brand of coffee to one brewer, rather than limiting it's brewer to one brand of coffee.

This takes me to my last point - Keurig's position in the coffee market. In the video game's industry, no publisher, game developer, or console manufacturer is anywhere near large enough to create a monopoly via things like curation or exclusivity. If some company like Sony came out and said "only first party titles on our new system", then they'd be out of business by the end of the year. Keurig, on the other hand, seemingly is big enough that locking down their brewer to only their coffee could shut down any and all competitors in the market, and their apparent past record of trying to stifle competition leaves credence to that (if true). That's where it really get's problematic, on both a legal an a consumer level.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I explained this horribly I admit, but I've already spent way too long on this post and want to cut it off here. Later!

Captcha: "roll over"

EDIT: Minor edits all over, mostly for better clarity.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
V da Mighty Taco said:
cookyt said:
*Needs moar snip*
I've definitely been thinking about the same thing in regards to console curation and the like, and you are making some legit points here. However, the conclusion I've come to here is this: The difference between software curation and coffee curation seems to be part intent, part how it's done, part industry tradition, and part market position.

*moar snip*
I'd simplify things personal. It's called DRM, "Digital Rights Management". Video game consoles are things that run digital products, hence they have some sort of DRM. Making coffee on the other hand while appliances have long had some manner of electronics in them is completely analogue, you're bringing digital restrictions into the physical world.

There's all sorts of horrible ways you can slippery slope this... and the fundamental problem is that at least half the people in society will be like the OP's mom and not care, buying it anyways and letting corporate think its okay.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
RandV80 said:
V da Mighty Taco said:
cookyt said:
*Needs moar snip*

*moar snip*
I'd simplify things personal. It's called DRM, "Digital Rights Management". Video game consoles are things that run digital products, hence they have some sort of DRM. Making coffee on the other hand while appliances have long had some manner of electronics in them is completely analogue, you're bringing digital restrictions into the physical world.

There's all sorts of horrible ways you can slippery slope this... and the fundamental problem is that at least half the people in society will be like the OP's mom and not care, buying it anyways and letting corporate think its okay.
Would it be any better though if they called it "Physical Rights Management"? I think that it's important to go into why adding digital restrictions to physical products matters and what differentiates physical goods from digital ones (such as the annoying insistence that digital products are merely a service, instead of a product).

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Good job theres a DRM free alternative. Don't buy a Keurig 2.0 for starters. Is there actually a big worry about this? Apart from the 'coffee DRM' stuff I see pop up on here from time to time I have no idea how popular or widespread these machines are.

TBH, 'DRM' tech can be used in any dispenser product but it would be difficult to make profitable since people like having choice and will find ways around restrictions. Like make their own damn coffee.

I guess a scary direction would be if Sony started making the playstation with a proprietary lead which would only plug into Sony TVs. Well it would be scary if they actually found a way to get people to buy it, and I'm sure there are more than a handful of people who would fall for that too.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
This is a non issue. Not even 2 weeks after Keurig's "DRM", other coffee makers broke it and began making pods for it.