Guess Yahtzee's Top 5 & Bottom 5 of 2014

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Anybody want to take a guess at Yahtzee's Top 5 & Bottom 5 of 2014?

Despite his usual whining I had more trouble coming up with a negative list than a positive one. Mostly because he was pretty meh this year about the stuff he didn't really like. I think he was only truly caustic about The Evil Within and Thief. Then again he only seemed truly enthusiastic about Alien: Isolation and Shadow of Mordor.

Top 5

1. Alien: Isolation
2. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
3. Shovel Knight
4. Wolfenstein: The New Order or Dark Souls 2
5. South Park: The Stick of Truth or Bayonetta 2

Bottom 5

1. The Evil Within
2. Thief
3. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
4. Hyrule Warriors
5. Watch_Dogs

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
The Evil Within and Thief definitely have a shot at being the worst. Most of Yahtzee's criticisms seem to come off as a playful rant on games he didn't like. Those games, however, seemed to make him genuinely angry. He also didn't seem to be that pissed off at Advanced Warfare, so I doubt CoD will take the top spot again.

As for best, I'm guessing Alien Isolation. It's a AAA survival horror game that he enjoyed, and it is one of the few this year that he's brought up positively in another review. Even if it wasn't his favorite, he'll probably put it there just to make a statement. Perhaps he'll even put this at the top spot and The Evil Within as the worst just for humor's sake.

Beyond that, though, I'm not even going to try to guess where exactly he stands. Shadow of Mordor and Wolfenstein definitely seem like Top 5 games, but I don't know where he'd put them. I'd also be surprised if Lightning Returns doesn't make the Bottom 5, and he'll probably include Advanced Warfare just because it's Call of Duty. Unity may also make it in the Bottom 5.

I guess we'll also have to wait for reviews of Dragon Age: Inquisition and possibly Assassin's Creed: Rogue. I doubt Inquisition will change things too much, but depending on how much he enjoys Rogue, it might make it into his Top 5.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'm not really sure what to expect from the Top 5 Good list, seeing as last year he included Metal Gear Rising despite giving plenty of other games "good" reviews. I hope Wolfenstein: The New Order shows up. Alien: Isolation and Shadows of Mordoorrrr probably will, too. I'm not entirely sure on the other games of the year.

As for the bottom list: Thief 2014 and The Evil Within will be there, even if I'm pretty sure he's more mad at how The Evil Within was advertised rather than at the game itself (not that he didn't make good points on the game itself). CODAW won't be there, it's not an Infinity Ward Call of Duty game. Lightning Returns could make it up there, and perhaps

The Goodies
1: Alien: Isolation
2: Middle-Earth: Shadows of Moorddooor
3: ??
4: Wolfenstein: The New Order (seeing as it was a strong contender, not necessarily GOTY)
5: ??

The Baddies:
1: The Evil Within
2: Thief (2014)
3: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (may as well keep it the same as it's Dad)
4: ??
5: ??

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
Anybody want to take a guess at Yahtzee's Top 5 & Bottom 5 of 2014?

Despite his usual whining I had more trouble coming up with a negative list than a positive one. Mostly because he was pretty meh this year about the stuff he didn't really like. I think he was only truly caustic about The Evil Within and Thief. Then again he only seemed truly enthusiastic about Alien: Isolation and Shadow of Mordor.

Top 5

1. Alien: Isolation
2. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
3. Shovel Knight
4. Wolfenstein: The New Order or Dark Souls 2
5. South Park: The Stick of Truth or Bayonetta 2

Bottom 5

1. The Evil Within
2. Thief
3. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
4. Sim City 4
5. Watch_Dogs
I REALLY don't think he'll put FFXIII before Evil Within, considering he could only play 3 hours of it. Also, why the fuck is Sim City 4 here? The latest SimCity came out last year and he has always mentioned SimCity 4 in a good light. I'd wager Destiny would be right next to Watch_Dogs, or probably Knack ("is cack"). Valiant Hearts is also notouriously absent from the top five.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
GrumbleGrump said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I REALLY don't think he'll put FFXIII before Evil Within, considering he could only play 3 hours of it. Also, why the fuck is Sim City 4 here? The latest SimCity came out last year and he has always mentioned SimCity 4 in a good light. I'd wager Destiny would be right next to Watch_Dogs, or probably Knack ("is cack"). Valiant Hearts is also notouriously absent from the top five.
I confused Sim City with the new Sims game, my bad.
I've been re-viewing his reviews and he didn't seem all that critical of Destiny. Not any more critical than just about every other game he reviews. Also, didn't he nominate the original FFXIII after only playing it for 5 hours? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
GrumbleGrump said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I confused Sim City with the new Sims game, my bad.
I've been re-viewing his reviews and he didn't seem all that critical of Destiny. Not any more critical than just about every other game he reviews. Also, didn't he nominate the original FFXIII after only playing it for 5 hours? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.
Yeah, that's what I meant with FFXIII thing. He hated so much of it that he played it for even LESS time than before. I should be clearer in my posts :/

I think if Destiny really makes it into the lower five then I think it'll only make on fifth place, mostly because it's the only game I remember him calling "aggressively boring".

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
MysticSlayer said:
I guess we'll also have to wait for reviews of Dragon Age: Inquisition and possibly Assassin's Creed: Rogue. I doubt Inquisition will change things too much, but depending on how much he enjoys Rogue, it might make it into his Top 5.
If Rogue is anywhere like Black Flag and Yahtzee is in a good mood (or maybe just plain desperate) I can see it making fifth in his Top 5. I think his recent history with Ubisoft (Unity and Far Cry 4) might influence the decision though.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Can't remember all of the criticisms he gave games this year, but here are a couple I remember him discussing that could make it into the Best and Worst categories

Best:

Shadow of Mordor
Dragon Age Inquisition
Alien Isolation
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Shovel Knight

Worst:

Sims 4
Advanced Warfare
Assassin's Creed Unity
Destiny

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
V TheSystem V said:
Assassin's Creed Unity
He didn't seem all that bummed out by Assassin's Creed Unity. It felt like he was judging it as mediocre rather than "offensively bad".

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
During one of his latest Let's Drown Out videos he mentioned having played Sonic Boom for review and if next week's ZP ends up being that than I'm sure we can expect that to be the number one on the poo-poo list. I see AC-Unity being on the bottom list too. As for his tops, I think safe bets would be games like Bayonetta 2, Shovel Knight, Alien: Isolation and definitely Dragon Age: Inquisition.

HemalJB

Oct 10, 2011
My predictions for bottom 5(in no particular order):
Lightning returns
Evil Within
Thief
MGS ground zeroes
AC Unity

Top 5
Dragonage Inquisition
Shadow of Mordor
Alien Isolation
Stick of truth
Shovel knight

To be honest, there weren't many games that he would be excited about this year. I wont be surprised if he just Gave up the concept and just said "x" is game of the year, everything else is shit.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
HemalJB said:
To be honest, there weren't many games that he would be excited about this year. I wont be surprised if he just Gave up the concept and just said "x" is game of the year, everything else is shit.
His two most positive reviews this year are definitely for Alien: Isolation and Shadows of Mordor, moreso Alien since he's such a "proper" survival horror fan. The remaining three, I don't know. He was okay with South Park but didn't seem all that impressed; same deal with Dark Souls 2, since he had to compare it to his beloved Dark Souls. He obviously liked Bayonetta 2 but he did conclude that it was essentially the same game all over again, though he might pick it to throw Nintendo a bone for once. Wolfenstein and Shovel Knight he liked as well, but he didn't seem all that enthusiastic about them.