Guild Wars 2 Goes Free For a Week

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
Guild Wars 2 is the game that, literally, convinced my entire gaming guild (since Everquest 1) that the modern MMORPG is dead.

No one played it more than a month or two. Now, the remnants are playing Everquest on an EMU server.

Why?

Watered down classes: Guild Wars 2 is the absolutely be-all end-all of making player classes pointless. They are all the same. End of line.

Boring PVP: Queue up for WoW-style BG's or sit in a queue to join a very poor adaptation of the old-school DAOC RVR, which Mythic ruined with their Frontiers expansion years before. I remember walking 10 minutes to find someone in GW2 and then dying... only to have to walk 10 minutes again to find anyone. Blah.

Repetitive Leveling: Should I blame NCSoft for this? Every MMO since EQ1 has had horrible leveling. I actually love EQ1's leveling since it didn't dictate how you did it, but the whole themepark rollercoaster that is all MMO leveling since SWG/DAOC/WOW has been terribly painful. Only TOR did it better, but failed miserably in the end-game. Oh boy, I get to do a heart quest or some other quest that other people can take part in. Blah. Wait, I think Warhammer did that several years ago.

Risk vs. Reward: there is none. Period. Full Stop. No, seriously, there is no risk in most modern MMORPGs. This is the difference between Everquest and WoW. Things stop being scary when they stop being dangerous to some portion of your effort as a gamer, name-ably time. In Everquest, you risked all the items you had ever acquired to go on that high end raid. You risked the time it required to perform a corpse recovery. How many modern MMO's understand this? Exactly one: EVE Online. That's it. Any other game has laughable risk factors and, thus, the fear that made EQ, UO and EVE great is gone, unless you play those games.

You want a real MMO experience? Try EVE. Join EVE University, learn the ropes, and go out and be glorious.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Alarien said:
Risk vs. Reward: there is none. Period. Full Stop. No, seriously, there is no risk in most modern MMORPGs. This is the difference between Everquest and WoW. Things stop being scary when they stop being dangerous to some portion of your effort as a gamer, name-ably time. In Everquest, you risked all the items you had ever acquired to go on that high end raid. You risked the time it required to perform a corpse recovery. How many modern MMO's understand this? Exactly one: EVE Online. That's it. Any other game has laughable risk factors and, thus, the fear that made EQ, UO and EVE great is gone, unless you play those games.
This is literally the only part about your post that's actually accurate, but guess what? Every MMO of the last 6 years has had no real risk factor, so it's kind of a mute point when you're trying to specifically attack one game.

The entire rest of your post was opinion, most of which I can only assume you made after a couple of weeks play.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
Actually, my entire post is opinion, which makes it all accurate. That makes your ENTIRE post inaccurate.

Since you are clearly uninformed when it comes to what constitutes a good MMO or risk vs. reward, I suggest you try EVE. No, really. Try EVE. At least a couple nights.

I gave ANY game you could possible suggest as an alternate longer than you suggest I did.

TimeLord75

Sep 3, 2009
ThreeKneeNick said:
TimeLord75 said:
I followed the link in the article, only to be greeted with a page saying, "Sorry, the Free Trial period has ended!" The article said today, 9/27, was supposed to be the start date. WTF?
Remove the /newsletter part of the link. So just https://register.guildwars2.com/trial
Thanks so much! DL'ing now. :)

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Gave it a try, and I can see why people would like it but I just find leveling too tedious, my experience can be basically be summed up as:

- Do story mission

- Find next story mission requires you to be 2-3 levels higher than the previous one

- Do all the "Quest Hubs" in the area, only get 1-1.5 levels

- Spend about an hour or two waiting for some "timed events" to turn up so I can get those other levels

- Repeat

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Aeshi said:
Gave it a try, and I can see why people would like it but I just find leveling too tedious, my experience can be basically be summed up as:

- Do story mission

- Find next story mission requires you to be 2-3 levels higher than the previous one

- Do all the "Quest Hubs" in the area, only get 1-1.5 levels

- Spend about an hour or two waiting for some "timed events" to turn up so I can get those other levels

- Repeat
You can move to any 1-15 area in the game. You don't have to just stick to the one. There are a LOT of zones that you can choose from. You can also enter World vs World at any time and level up there and go into structured PvP areas which boosts you to max level. There is no grinding for PvP sets either, it's all available for free from level 1, you choose your build.

You can also gain experience just by exploring the main cities, completing hidden jumping puzzles, gathering crafting ingredients and crafting itself.