Guild Wars 2: Redifining MMORPGs?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
Korten12 said:
Canid117 said:
Doesn't every MMO say its going to eliminate grind before release?
Yes but they also never did make one, GW while it may not have been a true MMO, a CORPG, it had no grinding at all. They said that leveling will not take hours on end due to the fact that when leveling your exp doesnt raise that much.

This is the leveling curve:

A static learning curve is a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD thing.
leveling doesnt relect the learning curve, mostly in mmo's its not that the leveling curve has a increasing learning curve, its just that it gets really annoying to have to fight and fight the same things over and over again to gain a single level.

Avelestar

Apr 17, 2010
I like the look of it and I'll definitely give it a go (beta would be nice). Played WoW constantly for 2 years, quit because uni was more important, but would love to be part of another MMO that I could play casually and not have to:

a) pay monthly for
b) have a strict gaming schedule

Jumping into random events sounds like fun, even more so if I can convince friends to play with me and just roll around Azeroth and do whatever.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I remian skeptical of a MMO that says it's defying regular MMO qualities and trates, manly because from a marketing point of view it makes it easy to say "We're getting rid of standards faults with MMOs" which makes the game sound very good, along with a decent graphics engine makingthe game look pretty. How different is it acually going to be then other MMO's and not just a marketing ploy? Especially since nothing was actually mentioned in the video of missions

I also think other problems will occur, such as lack of missions. If each mission has to be unique, steller and insanely fun like they make out to be then there is going to be a lack of missions or the missions will be really long. Plus expansions will take much longer if they have to make every mission fun

My final point comes as, if everyone is suppose to be having their own unique story then how on earth is going to be an MMO? It sounds more like a rpg with in game voice chat

I would like this to be good, I want all games to be good but I remain skeptical because I think they're just trying to hype the game up and other problems will occur when you remove the boring grind

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
The Madman said:
That's what they said about the original, and it turned out to be less an MMO and more a series of mp scenario linked by a fancy chat-room.
This was my big problem with the first. It was not an MMO. I haven't really researched the 2nd one, but I hope it won't be this way, or I'll have just as much interest in it, as I had in the first (which is none).

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
ItsAPaul said:
I've long since given up hope for NCSoft making a good game. Spoiler alert: GW2 will have botters and spammers rampant, and there will be nothing done about hacking.
It's being made by ArenaNet, not NCSoft.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Korten12 said:
leveling doesnt relect the learning curve, mostly in mmo's its not that the leveling curve has a increasing learning curve, its just that it gets really annoying to have to fight and fight the same things over and over again to gain a single level.
Sorry; read the thing as "Learning" curve, not Leveling.

My mistake.

Mr.Black

Oct 27, 2009
The Madman said:
If all you want are glowy dragons and beautiful fantasy scenery, WOW has both in spades.
There, I bolded the retarded part of that sentence. WoW looks like shit.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
The first one pretty much did that. The max is level 20 which you reach quite a bit before the main quest is over.

Edit: I should probably also say that it added to the experience a lot (haha exp pun) I wasn't just logging on to level up and even after you max out there is so much to do towards making builds with the re-assignable skill points.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
Korten12 said:
Sorry; read the thing as "Learning" curve, not Leveling.

My mistake.
thats okay, I almost thought it said that the first time I saw it. Everyone makes mistakes.

Nvv

Sep 28, 2009
Korten12 said:
Flying-Emu said:
Korten12 said:
Canid117 said:
Doesn't every MMO say its going to eliminate grind before release?
Yes but they also never did make one, GW while it may not have been a true MMO, a CORPG, it had no grinding at all. They said that leveling will not take hours on end due to the fact that when leveling your exp doesnt raise that much.

This is the leveling curve:

A static learning curve is a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD thing.
You know, not every MMO has you grinding for the levels. In some you level as you float through the well designed quests. Not talking bout WoW.

Original Topic: I think GW2 will be worth a look. But that it will in no way live up to what they're saying in that video.

Jovlo

May 12, 2008
I am most excited about the lack of a healer class. The monk from GW1 is gone.

Why do I think that is a good thing?
If you fight in the random arena these days and your team doesn't have a monk and the other one does, you are very likely to lose.
Teams without a monk often even resign before the fight starts, thinking that they're doomed anyway.
In a way, monks take the fun out of the game.

I think removing the healer class and forcing everyone to bring self support is a bold step, but a step in the right direction.

RedPandaMan

I bought this to skip ads.
Oct 23, 2008
Can I jump in this one and have more freedom? If not, then it isn't redefining things.

Korroth Dyahwanre

Jul 3, 2010
I started with Ever Quest(EQ) it was a grind MMO, it was also one of the first big MMO, it's what Blizzard aimed to out do with WoW. In each there is nothing that changes. You can fight Orcs for years in one zone and they will always be there. they continue to be there. That has always been my big ***** about MMO's they never changed. The world never evolved. You made zero impact. "Oh that's not where the game excels it really gets good in the end game" This is a common quote from people about every MMO out there right now. Screw That! its a game it should be fun from the moment I start playing till I stop playing for the day. I left EQ after two years. My next MMO was Star Wars Galaxies from release it was a fair game I did enjoy it A LOT. Then the forums began being flooded with messages from Melee players whining they couldn't fight anything because the people with guns killed them(pvp) or killed the critters(pve) before they could get to them.... HELLO you bringing a foot fist or sword to a gun fight WTF you expect?!?! SO Sony being the good little slave to the sheep of the world bowed to the desires and changed it. The first change made Bounty Hunters useless and broken and melee toons able to kick me from 63meters away. WTF how? I have gun you have foot Bang bang your dead not invisible boot kills be from BFE. The leveling system was interesting it was definitely a grind, but there were things the players effected, City building on planets Faction situations that would change the sway of power in the galactic situation. Sure you could farm spots where critters re-spawned but hostile creatures (predominantly the carnivores) would actually hunt and kill herbivores or social creatures. "end game" was about which side was building and holding the most outposts for their faction on each of the 7 planets players could build cities on. The player driven economy was in my opinion the best system In a game. The fact that every single weapons armor piece of clothing, building harvester, everything was player made, was wonderful to me. the social aspect of SW:G in the early days was amazing. When sony stopped making their game and started making what the whiners wanted the game went to hell and the nerf bat got larger and larger till the game was so retarded that they eliminated the need for any of my characters professions. I had already lost internet connection and thus access to the game, but I had no reason to rush back. My character sucked, and their promise of a new planet to go to turned into an instance... GAY! like in 7th grade when everything was gay. World of borecraft was my next MMO. Honestly in my opinion the worst MM Out there. I hate it! People are complaining about hackers in GW... WHEN... WHERE? My girl friend has been playing GW since beta and has NEVER heard of someones account being hacked. I havn't played WoW in 3 years and my account has been hacked 5 times.... FIVE times... where the frack is Blizzards anti-hacker service? In fact to expand on that, one of my friends JUST returned to WOW. He went on vacation and proposed to his girlfriend meanwhile someone had hacked his account and now his account is suspended due to suspicious activity. In fact every single person that I know that has played WOW has had their accounts hacked. Ok enough about that.....

Rapplez was next it wasn't bad but everything looked the same it was 100%free to play its a constant grind I never ran into an enjoyable mission.

Guild Wars was next. My girlfriend has 4 accounts. I enjoyed the game that I played, what I ahve played of it. But my opinion of the game is lack luster at best. IT plays and feels like a Never Winter Nights Module that a lot of people can play on at the same time. It wasn't to my thinking a true MMO. I've admittedly only played about 12 hours of guild wars but I will say this... its not a grind. My girlfriend did have one of her completed Toons leading a friend and I around showing us thigns and helping us with missions in those 15hours we leveled up to 15th of 20 levels... theres no grind there. IF we had played through on our own we would have likely made 20th in a fraction of the time. I was then told again that the game gets really good in the "end game". Guild Wars 2 looks like more of the same. while it looks pretty and the sounds cool... i don't view it grabbing me like EQ did or like WoW for the few months I played it. I will say that I did enjoy aspects of WoW, but when they released Burning crusade all joy left me. It was like that when they released Planes of Power for EQ.

The Old Republic right now is the MMO I can't wait to see how turned out. I'm such a fan of the universe and run my own Star Wars RPG pen and paper games. Guild Wars 2 while free to play will likely have to wait till after I've had my fill of TOR. I hope what they've said about both these games stands up and has a chance to flatten some of blizzards swollen head syndrome. the graphics arena WoW is the worst. Sure the movements are good realistic but its doesn't get a face lift at all. I liked the art for a while but it got stale to me about 3months into playing it. Star Wars Galaxie was in my opinion the most reactive to my passing through the grass. it parted and waved as I passed through it making me think my toon was actually in a world rather then running through the grass as if it is a plywood cut out like WoW and EQ and Guild Wars react. if GW2 has responsive grass(I know this is such a minor *****, but if your trying to emerge yourself into a setting it should react to you) then it might hold me longer.... I also want to be able to jump, GW you cant jump step over tiny rocks or slide down minor slopes. really made me think I was playing never winter nights(which is IMHO a better over all game especially NWN2)

I have rambled for far to long already but that's my view. I hope I'm wrong and they make a better game thtn I'm afraid GW2 will end up being. I looks pretty and I like the art in the trailer, but the game graphics have to stand up to the trailer to sell me. TOR I'm on the fence about the art, it has a stylized WoW look that kinda bugs me, but it does also have a KotR feel as well and i love those games.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
The great thing is that it's free monthly.

So even if they don't make it quite as they promise, I'm not being asked to pay monthly for it.