Guild Wars 2 - Top 10 Reasons to be Interested

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Korten12 said:
Oh, their will be loading screens between areas I believe. I also believe this is due to the nature of the dynamic events. Imagine having to have a thousand dynamic events (some with take up whole zones) trying to load at the same time, it would be quite difficult as its not the same as normal quests like WoW.
This makes me sad, that really cuts the "massive" feeling for me in an MMO. But I'd still give it a chance. Did Guild Wars 1 have a trial or demo? Might be an indication whether GW2 will get one as well.

Master10K

Feb 12, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Korten12 said:
Oh, their will be loading screens between areas I believe. I also believe this is due to the nature of the dynamic events. Imagine having to have a thousand dynamic events (some with take up whole zones) trying to load at the same time, it would be quite difficult as its not the same as normal quests like WoW.
This makes me sad, that really cuts the "massive" feeling for me in an MMO. But I'd still give it a chance. Did Guild Wars 1 have a trial or demo? Might be an indication whether GW2 will get one as well.
There's actually a thread about this now on the GW2guru [http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/one-continuous-worldi-t16338.html?t=16338]. Hopefully I won't find the short load between zones jarring and that each zone will have enough content to keep me occupied for a long while.

As for free trial, the original Guild Wars does have one and you can find it HERE [http://www.guildwars.com/freetrial/]. However Guild Wars & Guild Wars 2 will be completely different games; since Guild Wars still sort of revolves around trinity combat, there isn't much of an open-world and there's no jump.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Korten12 said:
Like what Master 10k said, GW1 and 2 are going to be different, just the same world/timeline/contient, besides that the gameplay is quite different. Still try GW1, it was heavily instanced, but its zones were huge and very pretty.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Still a "wait and see" approach to this game. The original guild wars promised a lot too and still failed in spectacular fashion. Not having a monthly fee is actually a turn off for me because I have yet to play a really good free game. It's easy to make a hype video, it's harder to write off the stigma your last game created on other players.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
This game honestly looks amazing.I loved the first game.

However the requirements for a PC is likely to be far too high for my computer.

Maybe someone will do a "Let's play" or something :/

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Master10K said:
ThreeKneeNick said:
Oh. Oh my. Oh my freakin gawd!
Does anybody have that reaction image with SpongeBob sticking out of Fry's wallet with all his money? That is the only suitable reaction I can think of for this.
I was planning to buy this game on release from the moment it was announced, but I wasn't expecting something so... grande. Epic isn't a suitable word for the world these men and women have created.
All of my money! Take it! Take it now and use it to fuel this glorious project!

Totenkopf

Mar 2, 2010
Looks pretty sweet, but to be honest, I'm way too hyped for Tera Online to care about this.

CakeDragon

Mar 10, 2009
I am so so so glad he mentioned Jeremy Soule. As a geek of music in videogames, this makes me really pleased.
I'm so glad Soule is doing the music for GW2. He did a really good job with GW, so, I'll be excited to see what he composes.
Whenever I hear the Overture from Eye of the North (that's the music you hear on the log-in screen of GW) it gives me goosebumps. It's just so epic!

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
Number 1 is exactly what has me psyched positioning, dodging, terrain, teamwork, all so much more exciting combat dynamics than beign stuck into a designated role and only smashing out set routines constantly watching dps/threat/healing tables.

And I would not worry about optomisation too much a low-mid end card should suffice if what I've read about the optimisation is true and it'll likley be pushed back into 2012.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
ThreeKneeNick said:
Aside from the combat system, events, no monthly fees and familiarity with Guild Wars 1 (im a fan) the main reason im interested is that it has all the systems in place to appeal to my explorer side. Since you will not be needing to follow a quest line to progress, you are free to roam and see what the world has to offer to you, and when i see those graphics and events and all the attention to detail, boy do i want to.

I can't wait to explore all the cities, the human city is just enormous and beautiful: snip
The art style is amazing indeed, but good heavens, enormous indeed. Too enormous, if you ask me. It just doesn't feel like a buzzling town to me. So much wasted, empty space and surfaces. Too much there just for the looks.
Korten12 said:
Like what Master 10k said, GW1 and 2 are going to be different, just the same world/timeline/contient, besides that the gameplay is quite different. Still try GW1, it was heavily instanced, but its zones were huge and very pretty.
Master10K said:
There's actually a thread about this now on the GW2guru [http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/one-continuous-worldi-t16338.html?t=16338]. Hopefully I won't find the short load between zones jarring and that each zone will have enough content to keep me occupied for a long while.

As for free trial, the original Guild Wars does have one and you can find it HERE [http://www.guildwars.com/freetrial/]. However Guild Wars & Guild Wars 2 will be completely different games; since Guild Wars still sort of revolves around trinity combat, there isn't much of an open-world and there's no jump.
The way you guys describe it, Guild Wars 1 is definitely not the game for me. Without a persistent, continuous world it's a no from my part. I want my MMO's to feel truly massive, and it's one of the biggest reason why I stuck with WoW for so long. Not the gameplay, not the lore (that has only started to come since Cata), but the ability to travel a continent without stopping. Soaring over mountaintops on my dragon, watching cities below, people walking about. Any MMO that doesn't have that, or at least doesn't offer the illusion it's there, won't be my next MMO.

Sadly, in the topic you just linked me Master10K, I just read this:
The different zones in GW2 are divided by portals where you will experience a loading screen as you pass from zone to zone.
And that made me sad. Especially the portal thing. I mean, really? That sounds like they don't even want to create the illusion of a continuous world, like Age of Conan does or many other RPG's like Knights Of The Old Republic. That would've been acceptable, if not perferable. But teleporting and portals? Ew.

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
I've been watching GW2 but this guy managed to come up with some new stuff that i can't believe i missed. /drools over content scaling...

Games like WoW and Borderlands DRIVE ME UP THE WALL when it comes to content scaling! WoW has that completely arbitrary weapon skill and defense skill (that scales with your level) where you simply cannot hit an opponent 5 levels higher than you are often enough to kill it (if your class has no healing skill). If you have a healing skill, and bonus points for tanking abilities you can probably handle up to 7 or 8 levels, and my hunter with his pet (dps/(pet)heals + tank all in one class) has managed 9 or 10. But all this is one on one, if you manage to pull something else then you're screwed, you need to use every single ability you have if you want to manage this. Then the fights last a good 5 mim and when you finally win you're rewarded with some scraps of cloth as loot and maybe 1.5X the exp of killing a mob at your level.

It makes leveling a complete grind because they place arbitrary hard level caps on the mobs you can kill. Theres no way to challenge your self while playing if you're above average in skill.

Borderlands has a similar system in place. Your gun magically does more or less damage depending on the difference between you and your opponents level. I will literally be in the middle of a fire fight, having a moderately difficult time, level up, and suddenly everything will just start dieing like their bones turned into toilet paper! Yes, the difference between levels is that sever. You can only hope to kill an enemy 3 levels higher than you at best, more than that and your gun simply doesn't do enough damage. Then borderlands has the problem of having far to many optional quests. If you try to do even half the quests in the game, you'll end up consistently over leveled for your area. Sure you could skip the quests, but i actually enjoyed a good number of them and even when only picking the ones i liked, i was still at a consistently higher level than the guys i was killing. Also, if you don't accept the quests, then clap-trap never shuts up about them, but if you accept them then they never leave your quest log until you finish them. So you end up having your quest log filled with 50 grey(trivial difficulty due to level differences)quests and having to scroll past all of them each time you need to look up a new one or track a different quest.

So a broken difficulty curve combined with a poorly designed quest system ended up being a constant thorn in my side while playing one of my otherwise favorite games.

I am very much looking forward to GW2 and really hope that it exceed my expectations (i placed them a bit low because i didn't find combat very entertaining in GW)

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
ThreeKneeNick said:
Aside from the combat system, events, no monthly fees and familiarity with Guild Wars 1 (im a fan) the main reason im interested is that it has all the systems in place to appeal to my explorer side. Since you will not be needing to follow a quest line to progress, you are free to roam and see what the world has to offer to you, and when i see those graphics and events and all the attention to detail, boy do i want to.

I can't wait to explore all the cities, the human city is just enormous and beautiful:
I really hope it can deliver when it comes to exploration. GW broke three of the fundamental commandments to making a game fun to explore (and one not so important[and yes, i pulled these out of my ass but that doesn't make them any less valid]).

1. NEVER place invisible walls in any place that players would be able to get to easily.

2. Do Not place half assed barriers to stop a player from going into an area that they were never intended to, ESPECIALLY if the player does not have to go out of their way to find them.

3.Let the players interact with the environment. (no, not using tree branches as weapons, but that helps[especially if you just destroyed the tree]. What i mean is that if you show the player a cool rock formation off in the distance, you can be sure as hell that the player wants to go there and climb on it, let them do it.)

4. Make the game world continuous. (basically no instanced areas, but it looks like GW2 is taking a big step in this area)*EDIT* after reading some of the comments it looks like GW2 is actually not that different in this aspect except that the areas are not instanced, which to took to mean continuous. That sucks.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
I would just like to thank this thread for re-kindling that furious spark within me that wants Guild Wars 2 to be out already. I started following the game way back when it was announced (which was at the same time as Eye of the North came out) and it's been dragging on ever since. I don't play MMO's, but Guild Wars was good enough to steal some hours of my time, and I actually really intend to get into GW2.
Joined a starting Guild as soon as they started forming, but that pretty much fell apart when people realised just how long they would have to wait ;p

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
ZombieGenesis said:
I would just like to thank this thread for re-kindling that furious spark within me that wants Guild Wars 2 to be out already. I started following the game way back when it was announced (which was at the same time as Eye of the North came out) and it's been dragging on ever since. I don't play MMO's, but Guild Wars was good enough to steal some hours of my time, and I actually really intend to get into GW2.
Joined a starting Guild as soon as they started forming, but that pretty much fell apart when people realised just how long they would have to wait ;p
I know, right? These guys need to learn to announce games much closer to the release date! Announce it a few months before it's due and release all this media, like classes and new systems at even intervals. Use that to build momentum and use that momentum to carry your game to a great release! Then again, i don't know much about marketing, but i will hear about a game and think "i really want to play that" and then forget about it.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
ThreeKneeNick said:

I can't wait to explore all the cities, the human city is just enormous and beautiful: snip
The art style is amazing indeed, but good heavens, enormous indeed. Too enormous, if you ask me. It just doesn't feel like a buzzling town to me. So much wasted, empty space and surfaces. Too much there just for the looks.
That's because this is just footage meant to show off the city. The NPCs aren't in place yet.

The towns will actually be filled with NPCs doing stuff, like carrying wood to fires, not just standing there. You can see a bit of it in this video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of3P9WouogU] (though keep in mind that this is an outpost of sorts, not a city). On top of that, you'll be able to overhear the townsfolk chatting in the background. Here's [http://www.arena.net/blog/against-the-wall-humanity-in-guild-wars-2] a blog post containing some of the clips you'll hear.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
timeadept said:
I really hope it can deliver when it comes to exploration. GW broke three of the fundamental commandments to making a game fun to explore (and one not so important[and yes, i pulled these out of my ass but that doesn't make them any less valid]).

1. NEVER place invisible walls in any place that players would be able to get to easily.

2. Do Not place half assed barriers to stop a player from going into an area that they were never intended to, ESPECIALLY if the player does not have to go out of their way to find them.

3.Let the players interact with the environment. (no, not using tree branches as weapons, but that helps[especially if you just destroyed the tree]. What i mean is that if you show the player a cool rock formation off in the distance, you can be sure as hell that the player wants to go there and climb on it, let them do it.)

4. Make the game world continuous. (basically no instanced areas, but it looks like GW2 is taking a big step in this area)
I get most of that, i had the same thoughts when i started playing. Oh how ArenaNet teased me. When I started playing Factions, off the coast of Shing Jea Island i spotted a small island with a freaking stone dragon coiled around it, and flipped when i realized i cant come closer to look at it. But later i came to appreciate that they used the lack of the Z axis to cleverly end their zones with gorgeous scenery that is just out of reach, instead of how many other games did it, with unimaginative steep mountain ranges you can't climb.

ArenaNet designers did however express regret over how they handled this in an interview in one of this years conventions, so, hopefully, no more teasing and more actual stuff to look at.

Master10K

Feb 12, 2010
Totenkopf said:
Looks pretty sweet, but to be honest, I'm way too hyped for Tera Online to care about this.
That's understandable, but the good thing is that you'll be able to play both. So enjoy Tera in all it's action orientated glory and once you're bored of it, you can always purchase GW2, since there is no monthly fee.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
bliebblob said:
suddenly...

Interest!

No really this made me realize i never gave gw2 any chance to prove it can beat the old republic and that a few of my main concerns about it are completely wrong. Now if only it had the story-thing like tor and wasn't yet another medieval-ish setting.
They are kind of doing the same story thing SWTOR is doing, just not to the same extent. Read up on the personal story [http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Personal_story] aspect of the game.

Basically, you make a couple personality-related choices at character creation that start things off, and then you'll be progressing through your character's story in the form of missions throughout the rest of the game. Your personality will change depending on how you respond in certain situations, and the way NPCs respond to you will change based on that. (Example: you'll be able to choose to end a conversation by punching an NPC in the face, if your character is getting ferocious enough, and merchants might hide behind their stalls when they see you coming, as a result.)

Another cool thing they're doing here is adding a "home instance." This is your personal instanced area of your hometown. Where other MMOs might give you your own instanced house, the home instance includes a house, several streets, shops, and some other buildings. And the coolest thing of all is it will change depending on choices you've made in your personal story. Merchants you save will end up setting up shop there, and people might even build monuments to you when you get really far along in your story.

As for the setting, it's more Renaissance than medieval. Industrialization has progressed pretty far, especially in the case of the charr [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi5KDcrO4Mk] and the asura (who haven't been shown much yet, but their city has a heavy fantasy-cyberpunk feel to it, seen in this concept art [http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Zojja_01_concept_art.jpg]).

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
EmperorSubcutaneous said:
That's because this is just footage meant to show off the city. The NPCs aren't in place yet.

The towns will actually be filled with NPCs doing stuff, like carrying wood to fires, not just standing there. You can see a bit of it in this video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of3P9WouogU] (though keep in mind that this is an outpost of sorts, not a city). On top of that, you'll be able to overhear the townsfolk chatting in the background. Here's [http://www.arena.net/blog/against-the-wall-humanity-in-guild-wars-2] a blog post containing some of the clips you'll hear.
Actually, I was more talking about the vertical space than horizontal one. Big squares and plateau's are one thing, but it's all so needlessly tall. To take the everlasting WoW example again, if there was a two story building you could enter, it actually had two stories on the inside. It all felt...proportional. That big city in that vid felt like one big space-time clusterfuck to me.