Guillermo del Toro F**king Loves Videogames

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
ProtoChimp said:
Prof. Monkeypox said:
He's a bit too eager, maybe, but I really like his enthusiasm. Plus, he's made some great films.

Good luck del Toro! The people of the escapist support your endeavor (I'm assuming).
Your god damn mother fucking right! See, now I'm swearing like crazy now.
Fuck me! You're fucking right I see you fucking swearing!
Del Toro, you magnificent fuck, see what you've done?

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Akalistos said:
Hey, you'll bound to find people that play and love videogame as much as haters.

Worgen said:
suddenly I have high hopes for this game that he is making
Still, he's a movie director and not a game creator. It's like asking a Fighter Jet pilot to take care of a Seven Eleven. I'll pass on his game.
Most game creators are rubbish... most film directors are rubbish. I'd say there is a good chance such an esteemed film director could make a decent if not great game. At least with Del Toro he won't sacrifice narrative quality for stupid gimmicks. Let's just hope his gameplay holds up well.

At least wait until details are released until you fob it off as worthless.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Of course he got cursed off XBL as a "piece of shit Mexican". Fucking tools online. This is why we need player-run servers! Let the trash play with eachother and get some respectable games going. (Note that I don't have an Xbox, but this is my feelings for any online platform)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Akalistos said:
Hey, you'll bound to find people that play and love videogame as much as haters.

Worgen said:
Still, he's a movie director and not a game creator. It's like asking a Fighter Jet pilot to take care of a Seven Eleven. I'll pass on his game.
everyone has to start somewhere, granted hes getting a bit of a bump beyond making his own mod for something but at least he has played some games

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Ragsnstitches said:
Akalistos said:

Worgen said:
Most game creators are rubbish... most film directors are rubbish. I'd say there is a good chance such an esteemed film director could make a decent if not great game. At least with Del Toro he won't sacrifice narrative quality for stupid gimmicks. Let's just hope his gameplay holds up well.

The Bull(What! What do you think Del Toro mean!) is mostly visual then story (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy 2) but there a good chance the story to be decent. It's the pacing, if he can create a story that is long enough, if his team (let's not foul ourself) can make a interesting gameplay sequence. There's a difference between film and Games and since it's his very first one... we are bound to see some mistakes a seasoned pro wouldn't do.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Worgen said:
Akalistos said:

Worgen said:
everyone has to start somewhere, granted hes getting a bit of a bump beyond making his own mod for something but at least he has played some games
Yes it may help but in my opinion, it won't be a grandiose epic like he does on the silver screen. Maybe if it does relatively well, he will make a second outing. The second one will definitively be more interesting.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Akalistos said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Akalistos said:

Worgen said:

The Bull(What! What do you think Del Toro mean!) is mostly visual then story (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy 2) but there a good chance the story to be decent. It's the pacing, if he can create a story that is long enough, if his team (let's not foul ourself) can make a interesting gameplay sequence. There's a difference between film and Games and since it's his very first one... we are bound to see some mistakes a seasoned pro wouldn't do.
No doubt, but let's not be hasty to judge. He could be a prodigy... or a complete flop. But we don't have anything to base these opinions other then presumptions.

Just don't dismiss it yet. We have far too many people doing it already to all sorts of games.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Akalistos said:
Worgen said:
Akalistos said:

Worgen said:
Yes it may help but in my opinion, it won't be a grandiose epic like he does on the silver screen. Maybe if it does relatively well, he will make a second outing. The second one will definitively be more interesting.
most likely it will be an idea of his but really directed by a game maker that already has some game directing experience

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Ragsnstitches said:
Akalistos said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Akalistos said:

Worgen said:

No doubt, but let's not be hasty to judge. He could be a prodigy... or a complete flop. But we don't have anything to base these opinions other then presumptions.

Just don't dismiss it yet. We have far too many people doing it already to all sorts of games.
I don't dismiss it... I'll probably just rent it instead of buying it.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Worgen said:
Akalistos said:
Worgen said:
Akalistos said:

Worgen said:
most likely it will be an idea of his but really directed by a game maker that already has some game directing experience
Like the movie 9. It would have been better if Burton didn't pull the rug under the guy that wrote the story.

Munchied Zombie

Sep 22, 2009
I hold high hopes that Guillermo will do a great job on a video game. His movies have great story and concepts which should translate well to videogames. Also checking out the amount of effort he puts into the design of the worlds in his films, the game will at least have a good look to it. Think it will depend on the team behind him. Hopefully it will be someone with some experience and skill to guide him through the minutae of game design.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Wow this guy actually seems to know what he's talking about. That, and I agree with just about everything he said. I just wish he had mentioned some classics. I can agree with Katamari and Shadow of the Colossus, but I don't see how anybody who's ever played Ocarina of Time, Mario Galaxy, or Metroid Prime can act like Left 4 Dead is all that good....especially when they're talking about artistic merit.