Guillermo del Toro: Pacific Rim 2 "Very Different" From the First

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
barring the weird logic issues (it runs on analog? that wouldn't matter with an EMP!)
I liked the movie a lot, really fun. So this is good news.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
My big question in this one is what kind of budget they will have. As I understand things, one of the big reasons a lot of the other mechs got demolished so easily was not just to sell the power of the Kaiju (and the fact that they were supposed to be obsolete mechs fighting the most powerful Kaiju to date to begin with) was that they could only do so many "money scenes" with the big action. To give everyone a chance to shine would have probably caused the money to be a lot more expensive. I read a few things about this when the movie came out due to allegations of both racism, and how some people were screaming that the whole point of the foreign mechs was to sell toys and model kits or whatever, even if they were hardly in the movie. As a result I also ready that they were quite blunt about the budget and saying that a lot of things they wanted to do got cut, including some Jaeger designs that never showed up in the movie. Now that they have defined the basic concepts, a sequel with a big budget, can get away with a lot more of the giant-robot vs. giant-monster action people wanted to see more of.

I'll also say that going way back now (and I believe I mentioned it before) there were stories going on about how even as the first movie was releasing they had already planned a possible trilogy, with Del Toro thinking ahead further than he did with Hellboy to guarantee some degree of funding should the movie at least break even, with the basic promise that the sum total of the work in the long run would exceed the performance of any one installment when he finished it. This is of course quite possibly BS, but if this rumor holds true, the planned sequel was to do a "role reversal" in the second movie, where the Jaegers are going to invade the alien world to end the threat entirely, find out that the situation was a bit different than what they got from the limited dive, and ultimately wind up dealing with a situation where they pretty much become the Kaiju to this other world, rampaging through civilian centers and such, wiping people out left and right, while the aliens try frantically to stop them, with a lot of the movie focusing on the entire morality of the situation and the shift from defender to attacker. The exact details were never revealed, but I'd imagine the whole clincher would be that the guys raiding other worlds and involved in genocide were some kind of government agency from the alien world, with the rest of the population at least somewhat unaware of what they owed
their survival to.

This is all just odd things I've heard here and there, and as I said, I believe I've pointed it out before. Chances are a lot of this is meaningless and irrelevant, as we won't know what is going to happen until closer to release. That said, there might be some truth to it, as I had actually been hearing a bit about a possible sequel or franchise almost as soon as the movie launched.

That said, while they differ from the comics substantially, I would like to see Del Toro finish up "Hellboy" as he left some serious threads hanging in his own continuity, and Ron Pearlman is getting too old. It does disappoint me on some levels that he's doing more "Pacific Rim" (as much as I loved it) while not finishing his previous work, which as a result stands a good chance of never being tied up.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
bluegate said:
Phrozenflame500 said:
Wonderful, maybe it will actually be a good movie then.
Didn't really expect to be ninja'd by the first post, well done.

Didn't quite enjoy the first one, so yeah, hope that it will turn out better than the first.
Add another to the "maybe it will actually be good" train!

Maybe if Generic White Guy isn't the main protagonist this time, the non-robot stuff will actually be interesting.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
RedDeadFred said:
bluegate said:
Phrozenflame500 said:
Didn't really expect to be ninja'd by the first post, well done.

Didn't quite enjoy the first one, so yeah, hope that it will turn out better than the first.
Add another to the "maybe it will actually be good" train!
And another. It was painfully dumb, and even the robot fights did nothing for me because you couldn't tell what the fuck was going on. Too much rain and spotlights.

GoodNewsOke

Jan 30, 2014
Well maybe this time around we could focus more on the robots/monsters aspect and less about a story that was as interesting and engaging as a bucket filled with white paint. And maybe we could actually see side-characters in action and not kill them off a couple of seconds into their first fight scene. And please don't focus on entirely pointless stuff like Ron Perlman's character...

Maybe then it could be good and not such a waste of time.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I felt the first one was underwhelming. Now, if they throw Godzilla into this one as a final fight...

Also, while I'm a fighter for greater diversity in film, I don't agree with the strategy of marketing it on multiculturalism. Just put people in the film! It's not that hard!

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Honestly I just hope they either focus more on the fights and the different Jaegers or make the characters more interesting next time because the fighting was the only good parts of the movie and even then they could have done better.

GoodNewsOke said:
Well maybe this time around we could focus more on the robots/monsters aspect and less about a story that was as interesting and engaging as a bucket filled with white paint. And maybe we could actually see side-characters in action and not kill them off a couple of seconds into their first fight scene. And please don't focus on entirely pointless stuff like Ron Perlman's character...

Maybe then it could be good and not such a waste of time.
Yeah as much as I love Ron Perlman he was not needed at all, and the scientists were practically out of a Micheal Bay Transformers movie in terms of annoying comic relief, though not quite that bad.

Story really was bland and the characters were cardboard cutout stereotypes, which is fine if thats what they wanted to go for, but then they shouldn't have focused on them so much and taken so long to get to the action.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
For as much as I wanted to love it, it was hard to get into Pacific Rim the first go around for me. It was a movie that was just supposed to be about giant robots punching monsters in the face, which the movie had, but why did it have to feel as long as a Lord of the Rings movie? I mean obviously it ISN'T, but towards the end of the film I just found myself wishing it was over. It felt long. Plus Mako's story was much better than Raleigh's, yet she was very underwritten for how much everyone was pushing her as a great character.

Hopefully Pacific Rim 2 will be much better. There aren't very many movies about giant robots out there and I'd like for at least a few of them to be good.

ColaWarVeteran

Jul 27, 2010
Personally I think instead of a second movie they should make a prequel animated series. That way we could have lots of fights plus some world building. As for the first movie my main problem was they missed an action beat and it was very noticeable (at least to me). It needed one more decent fight in the middle and that would have done the job.

BayouStalker

May 31, 2011
Sweet! I love the first one! Now lets just hope that third movie of hellboy comes out sometime as well, along with At The Mountain of Madness which he claimed he got a new urge to do after that Prometheus thing came out.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Wait...comics? This i was unaware of. Oh why haven't i seen the first film yet? It is Del Toro with mechs and monsters!!
If it has dumb moments, then i must attain a certain level of high for them to brush past the cynical filter. What sort of level of dumb are we talking here?

Actually, why stop at a Godzilla crossover, when we can throw in transformers, King Kong, Tony Jaa, Thor, Magneto and the fucking Kraken?! Fuck yeah!! Argh! Gotta lay off the phet.

[EDIT] Hey...Toro looks suspiciously like Michael Moore there. Hmmmmmm. Musings.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Phrozenflame500 said:
I concur. The first movie was not nearly as good or fun as some make out. It was mostly disappointing.

Part of the problem is it was too dense. It felt like a season of a television series compressed into a feature film, with lots of things left out and left dangling.

Personally, I hated that whole drift concept. These giant robots were more like battleships, which are crewed by hundreds. I would rather they be run like that with a crew of hundreds keeping the robot running with a hotshot pilot or whatever. that way they could tell the many smaller stories and when an arm gets ripped off, we know that means many people are killed because it was full of crew. But that has the same problem that I griped about above. Maybe this should just be a television series. or they could just not make it.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
the antithesis said:
Personally, I hated that whole drift concept. These giant robots were more like battleships, which are crewed by hundreds. I would rather they be run like that with a crew of hundreds keeping the robot running with a hotshot pilot or whatever. that way they could tell the many smaller stories and when an arm gets ripped off, we know that means many people are killed because it was full of crew. But that has the same problem that I griped about above. Maybe this should just be a television series. or they could just not make it.
They didn't do that because it's not the genre they were going for. Mecha shows and comics don't play out like that, so expecting this film to is kind of ridiculous. Controlling the suit with your mind and mind-melding with others is a staple of the genre, it's inclusion is in reference to that. Also they do a pretty good job of establishing why it needs to be there, they just didn't expand upon it. Hopefully it's something the sequel will touch upon.

Sometimes I wonder if people like you can ever really enjoy any science fiction, constantly over-thinking things ad nauseam must really put a damper on enjoying things.

Lord Draenor

Sep 20, 2010
Godspeed you crazy bastard!
Show those Godzilla assholes how it's done (I wanted that film to be good so badly)

Yellowfish

Nov 8, 2012
So, another Pacific Rim, Mr. Del Toro? I'm still hoping for a film version of At the Mountains of Madness.

Well anyway, I guess I'm okay with a sequel to Pacific Rim. Hoping for better minor characters though, not just flat stereotypes shoved into the movie for inclusivity's sake and immediately killed off to raise the stakes.