Guise of the Wolf Dev Takes Down Negative YouTube Review - Update 2

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
Uh... Wow... I don't know whether to laugh uproariously, or shake my head in utter disbelief. I fear that if I attempt to do both at the same time, I'll take an eye out.

That last e-mail, if it is true, is going straight into blackmail territory. Threatening to say it's false? If it does go to court, it's a bullet in the face of their defense.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
These Devs are so stupid, even if they succeed, they are putting out a fire after it already burnt down the house.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
The last time something like this happened it was a PR disaster for the publisher. Stuff like this could probably work on smaller video creators but TB is going to rip them a new one. Developers should really know by now that this stuff doesn't work.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
If I could I'd take down all of his videos. Shame they can only do it for his.
Yeeeaah I don't really like the guy.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
What the fuck? Is that company ran by 12 year old trolls?
Tom_green_day said:
Maybe you should reconsider your position. You don't have to like him personally, but you cannot in the right mind deny his usefulness to gaming community.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Funny how there are people who are so rooted in their hate for something that they are actually hoping the devs win this.

I have had yet for someone to tell me why exactly they don't like TB, but that's irrelevant anyway. The point is, someone attempted to silence criticism, whether you liked it or not. It's really not that hard to understand.

I hate things too, but if they don't cause harm to anything then there's no point or justification for me to want its demise. Same goes for you people who wish TB would fail.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
This is such a weird story. What are these developers trying to accomplish? Commit the ultimate career suicide?
I still say that title goes to the douchebag PR dude for those special modified controllers that went absolutely fuck-nuts when some guy wrote in an email about not getting his controller when he was supposed to.

You all remember the story, right? The guy that didn't get his controller ended up writing to Penny Arcade about it and then the PR dude REALLY flipped his shit claiming to know everyone from Cliff Bleszinski to the mayor of New York to Sean Connery to Jesus Christ himself. He went on to get blasted across the internet as THE Douchebag of the 21st Century. A very surprising feet seeing as how we're only a decade into said century. :p

themilo504 said:
First day one Garry incident and now this game, is youtube simply blind or do they just not care?
I'm sure if you were to ask Google to go over the whole Fair Use legalities and how the vast majority of the copyright complaints they receive should be ignored due to Fair Use, they'd smile, say they understand your concern, and ask you to wait a moment while they go check the back room. Approximately three minutes later they'll return, saying that they're incredibly sorry, but when they went to check they found that they're quite simply all out of fucks to give.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Tom_green_day said:
I don't like TB either but I don't think anyone really deserves to have their livelihood taken away on false claims. If it can happen to TB it can happen to any YouTuber including the ones you like.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Stuff like this is why I like the idea of the Steam Tags. GotW is tagged with everything from "Don't Buy", "Shovelware", and "Buggy" to "False Advertising", "Scam" and "dishonest developer".

Of course, one of the tags is "A better love story than twilight", so I suppose the system ain't perfect yet.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
cursedseishi said:
K12 said:
Just floating another idea out there. Does anyone think that Valve deserves some of the blame for this?

The fact that Steam doesn't have a decent level of quality control for its games means that terrible games like this will be produced fairly often.

TB, as a reviewer, will feel professionally (and morally) obligated to protect consumers from shoving $15 up their own dick holes, buying this thing.

The talentless, and apparently completely childish and delusional, developers then copyright strike him for it.

Obviously Valve's blame is well down the list after "Fun"Creator and Youtube but they still contribute in some way to the environment where this kind of shit happens.
Valve has pretty much acknowledged the uselessness of the Greenlight system to begin with, and have fortified that point by allowing hundreds of games in at a time rather regularly. They don't really care what comes through now. Valve only allowed the game in through there, so while there is some level of responsibility on their part, this has become less of a "shitty game being allowed on steam" and more of a "Shitty dev throwing shitty tantrum and crapping all over their own foot".
I don't think there's much doubt that this game wouldn't have got anywhere without Steam. It wouldn't have been on the radar or be worth reviewing so the situation wouldn't have arisen.

Valve's blame is a very distant third behind the game's developers and Youtube's policies but the question "why the fuck is this game on sale in the first place" is relevant.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Welp, these devs are fucked ... pretty much guarantee no ones gonna touch these fuckers after this.

llagrok said:
I pray that they tear down TB, his terrible videos and anything else that mouth-breather has put on the internet.

Only thing that we need is his poorly written article on somethingawful.
Oh?

So ... your fine with a company abusing 'copyright' to censor negative reviews then? Even when they have no legal right to do so? Your perfectly fine with gutting every reviewers right to review a product, just because YOU don't like this one?

Because that's what this is, case you missed it, censorship. TB said something they didn't like about their shitty little game and they're getting all pissy about it.

And your ok with this? Just because you dislike TB, your going to be complacent while a dev tries to remove your right to know about what weather the product your getting is actually worth your money or not?

Just know, that if this is allowed to slide it will only get worse.

'The enemy of my enemy is my friend' seems the most fitting thing to end with.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
K12 said:
Just floating another idea out there. Does anyone think that Valve deserves some of the blame for this?
Guise of the Wolf made it through Greenlight apparently, so i dont think theyre that much to blame.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
ChildofGallifrey said:
Of course, one of the tags is "A better love story than twilight", so I suppose the system ain't perfect yet.
Oh come now - that tag could be on everything by default and not be out of place.

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
Nihlus2 said:
You don't have to prove to Google that you're innocent as much as treadwater for a few months until the burden of proof gets shifted back to the people making the claim.

Those guidelines are interesting, but they either mean that Total Biscuit definitely doesn't have a strike against his account or that Youtube have made some kind of exception for him. Because according to the guidelines not being in good standing prevents you from uploading videos more than 15 minutes long and he's definitely not being restricted by that.

It might be a multi-channel network thing protects people from those kind of consequences. YourMovieSucks is another channel that's constantly receiving strikes and they're not having those priviledges restricted either. I wouldn't be surprised if Google were doing it to force people to sign up to networks
Yeah, true on that, but the convoluted level it is on, is downright mind boggling.

And concerning the whole 15 min thing, there are some exceptions and workarounds if you are associated with a network, most of the heavy things are on 2 strikes (and even then it is not outright damning for partners, but close to!), for now I believe it is mostly restricted to not being able to post private videos (probably why he had to have his PR/Art guy post a none-monetized, private video about the whole email debacle of this).

I posted it more as an idea of what is at stake and not sacred, rather than a cut-and-clean "these benefits are lost when x amount of claims are applied to the channel". So my bad for being vague and not posting it properly.

Long story short: This is a whole lot more series than ID Claim, as those are limited to the video in question, whereas these copyright claims affect the entirety of the channel and how it will function.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
If anything I'm glad this happened - the damage that FUN studios can do to TotalBiscuit's side is absolutely minimal, but it has further reinforced a point already made about copyright on Youtube. Prior to this incident I had no idea about the ways Youtube handled copyrighting and now I find myself in a thread with several shining examples of it.

Bravo, FUN. You've cut your own leg off just to throw it at someone.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
I remember watching that video when it came out, and TB mentioned that he and his wife played it on a research stream as the game was so poorly made he needed help getting through it.

While I do find the situation incredibly funny, this is underlying a hidden issue. Because YouTube is a human-driven forum of free ideas and free speech, you need a level of awareness when adjudicating it. Automatic programs WILL NOT HELP and have caused far more trouble because of Google's laziness. As most people online are probably aware that Google's unofficial motto is "Don't be evil". Is their official motto "Be like EA"?

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Oh boy, TB said he'd have a field day with those fuckers if they tried to pull that and here we go.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
This is such a weird story. What are these developers trying to accomplish? Commit the ultimate career suicide?
No, they're trying to get noticed. They made a game no-one on the face of the Earth has heard of and realized that THE channel for getting indie stuff noticed had actually put their name out there....to burn and get crushed into the dust. To them, this is all publicity.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
TristanBelmont said:
Adam Jensen said:
No, they're trying to get noticed. They made a game no-one on the face of the Earth has heard of and realized that THE channel for getting indie stuff noticed had actually put their name out there....to burn and get crushed into the dust. To them, this is all publicity.
As pointed out in another post earlier in the thread, the last time this happened with the Day One: Garrys Incident Incident, the game in question received no boost in sales. There isnt concrete proof of this, however that the game has been steadily falling off in hours played with no noticeable spike during the incident, its safe to assume that few, if any, bought it afterwards.