Guitar Hero 4 Adds Drums, Create-a-Song

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Guitar Hero 4 Adds Drums, Create-a-Song

Guitar Hero gets overhauled with drums and create-a-song features.

An upcoming GameInformer exclusive cover story, according to NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294354] poster SolidSnakex, on Guitar Hero 4 reveals how the next Guitar Hero game plans on directly competing with MTV and Harmonix's Rock Band.

The addition of drums and vocals are clearly an answer to Rock Band's multi-instrument setup. Character and instrument creation will add a new level of personalization to the GH experience.

A Create-A-Song mode allows users to upload songs, place notes for guitar, bass and drums (no vocals due to copyright reasons), and then share five samples of their work on GH Tunes, an online service where others can rate and download your custom tracks. For each song, you will be able to name and add album artwork. The online sharing will be made available for the Wii and Playstation 2 versions, but will likely be less feature-filled than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions.

The drums feature three pads, two cymbals and a foot pedal. Special focus was given to the drum pads, which are pressure sensitive and more quiet than their Rock Band counterparts.

The GameInformer article also mentions "See-through" notes, which Neversoft identified as a new game mechanic that will "impact the way you play GH in the future."

All songs included with the next iteration will be master tracks; Van Halen, The Eagles, Linkin Park and Sublime are all confirmed for the soundtrack.

richasr

Dec 13, 2007
That's pretty cheap considering RockBand was released late last year in some parts of the world and is about to be released in Europe (typical bloody wait), I didn't find Guitar Hero 3 to be as addictive or as fun as the previous games and i'm shifting towards Rock Band, fortunately I won't have to wait much longer for that.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
I'm guessing the transparent notes are optional, and allow you to solo certain sections as you see fit.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
If the "Create-a-Song" feature works like audisurf's but better i will definately buy this game.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
well if you cant beat them steal their ideas always works I guess. Uploading songs sounds awsome though

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
The creation and sharing of songs should be awesome, although it renders any future GH games pointless, as any worthwhile songs will already have custom tracks available to the public.

The drums and vocals seems a bit silly for a game called Guitar Hero, but they were likely sick of Rock Band hogging that particular market.

majorcat

Feb 15, 2008
This is amazing. I mean, I can't believe they're not going to have a copyright headache on their shoulders, but its great for the users. I've gone from a huge GH fan to a huger Rock Band fan, and was not even considering GH games anymore.. but this sounds really really good.

Why they feel like they need the drums, though, I don't know. It's 'Guitar' Hero.. better to focus on that.

Squiggle

May 16, 2008
The create a song element is definately something to be excited about,that is if it works properly.

As far as the drunms and mic? I'm dissapointed.No longer is it Guitar Hero.

If I wanted drums and a mic, I'd buy rock band.

Tony Harrison

Jan 28, 2008
I'm interested to see how much this will cost in Europe and when it will be available. I'm not buying Rock Band when it's released (haha, I still find the delay hard to believe :/) so this is good news where I'm sitting.

Zamber0ni

Jan 3, 2008
Aaaaaand not only does Activision beat a dead horse even more, they steal MORE game mechanics from the original creators.

Astonishing.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Yuck. HORRIBLE game series. If you want to play Guitar then get REAL Guitar lessons.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
Rabid Toilet said:
The creation and sharing of songs should be awesome, although it renders any future GH games pointless, as any worthwhile songs will already have custom tracks available to the public.

The drums and vocals seems a bit silly for a game called Guitar Hero, but they were likely sick of Rock Band hogging that particular market.
I'm sure they said no vocals due to copyright reasons.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Meh...

I've always found the guitar hero games to be too expensive (especially Rock Band. I could get a Gamecube and several of its games for the price of rock band)

The only thing that looks interesting to me is the create a song option, but without lyrics...

I don't know.

Nov 28, 2007
conqueror Kenny said:
Rabid Toilet said:

I'm sure they said no vocals due to copyright reasons.
There won't be vocals for the create-a-song, but there will be vocals in the songs on the game.