Guitar Hero Boosts Real Guitar Sales

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Guitar Hero Boosts Real Guitar Sales

Guitar Hero [http://www.guitarhero.com] is reinvigorating real guitar sales, Activision boasted, also claiming that Guitar Hero III has become the first game to surpass $1 billion in sales.

I'm sure a lot of you have heard this one before, maybe over lunch with some non-gamer friends or during the tail end of a Rock Band party when you decide to go get a drink of water and happen to start up a conversation with the one person who hasn't been playing all night: "Why don't you just play a real instrument?" I usually argue that the experience of playing a music game and actually playing music are two wholly different things. If we take Activision's Guitar Center [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=205693] as their source.

Two-thirds of non-musicians who play or have played music games plan to start playing a real instrument, while three-fourths of musicians say that they're inspired to spend more time with their instruments after playing a music game, Activision said. That's a lot of planning and not much evidence of actually doing, but it's nice to know that the games are inspiring people to do new things in life.

Activision revealed these stats at CEO Mike Griffith's keynote at the Consumer Electronics Show last week. Griffith seemed to be in a boastful mood, as he also claimed [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=205690] that Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock has become the first videogame ever to singlehandedly pass $1 billion in sales.

[Via BBC [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=205693]]

Luckie

Aug 5, 2008
I know after playing Guitar Hero and Rock Band for so long that I'm planning to start learning how to play the guitar right after I've passed my driving test.

Though I'm not sure about how boastful Activision should be in saying that they've surpassed $1 billion in sales considering GH3 was £70 (game and guitar pack) when I bought it at launch. I dunno how much that is in Dollars but it's still a lot of revenue being received for just one title.

thatotherguy2

Sep 11, 2008
all i know is i like guitar hero i thats all we need to know
If that statistic then the wars of the future will be fought in guitar hero battles

y8c616

May 14, 2008
pyromcr said:
the only problem is that 90% of the people that bought real guitars because they played guitar hero compleatly suck!!!
True- as a real guitarist, i can tell you GH is nothing like the real thing. People who get good at guitar hero think their skills will translate onto real guitar; The reality is that it takes a lot more work to master 6 (or in my case 7) strings and 22-24 notes on each string, than it does to master 5 buttons and a plastic flappy thing

Grab-bag

Dec 13, 2008
Most of that percentage probably are not natural and have got Encores or others crap guitar makes. I've been playing for nearly 10 years and guitar hero is just fun, but nothing like the real thing!

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Anton P. Nym said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
AH! A million amateur guitarists all banging out Dragonforce! The horror! The horror!
Freebird! *dodges thrown beer bottle*

-- Steve
Sweet Child O' Mine! *Dodges a barrage of bottles*
Bohemian Rhapsody!!!
... What, nothing?
None of the kids know the song... because it hasn't been in a GH game yet.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Clemenstation said:
TsunamiWombat said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Anton P. Nym said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
AH! A million amateur guitarists all banging out Dragonforce! The horror! The horror!
Freebird! *dodges thrown beer bottle*

-- Steve
Sweet Child O' Mine! *Dodges a barrage of bottles*
Bohemian Rhapsody!!!
... What, nothing?
None of the kids know the song... because it hasn't been in a GH game yet.
They aren't allowed to listen to music!

KenzS

Jun 2, 2008
Ive been playing guitar for years. I thought guitar hero was overrated until Rock Band came out.

but still... guitar hero has no practical application for an actual guitar.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
KenzS said:
Ive been playing guitar for years. I thought guitar hero was overrated until Rock Band came out.

but still... guitar hero has no practical application for an actual guitar.
Maybe with the exception of the strum bar. Just maybe.

shmaller

Jan 10, 2009
I started playing the guitar about a year before I got Guitar Hero. I laugh at the kids who thought they could play a guitar after five-starring "John the Fisherman".