Guitar Hero Gets "Greatest Hits"

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Guitar Hero Gets "Greatest Hits"

The franchise milking is continuing with Activision-Blizzard's next unnecessary retail product: a compilation of past Guitar Hero hits in one disc.

In Activision's continuing effort to exploit the hell out of its top franchises, Activision has announced another Guitar Hero game that is, essentially, a "best of" compilation of the top songs from previous games. The publisher is, in fact, asking people to repurchase retail copies of songs they likely already own for the small advantage of now having drums and vocals added.

Mike Griffith, President and CEO of Activision Publishing, was noted saying during the a quarterly corporate conference call, "Lastly, we have a robust lineup of new Guitar Hero SKUs. In addition to Guitar Hero Metallica, we expect a launch a new Guitar Hero game for the Nintendo DS and a separate razortips compilation Guitar Hero game that includes full band versions of the most popular songs from previous Guitar Hero games and will be made available for the 360, PS3, and Wii. As we look at the back half of the year, we expect to release the majority of our games."

If only they could decide to release a product and follow up with, "Now we're going to take a year off to develop a mind-blowing Guitar Hero upgrade" or perhaps, "Our attention is now being focused on GHTunes distribution."

Of course, that would end the endless stream of profits, so Griffith promised, "Starting with the Guitar Hero franchise, we will launch a major restage of the business with all new differentiated Guitar Hero products, plus the launch of DJ Hero, a line extension that enhances and extends the franchise. We will be sharing more details with you about our new Guitar Hero lineup and DJ Hero games in the future."

nhex

Dec 9, 2008
I don't think this is necessarily a terrible idea. It's disappointing for owners of GH 3 especially, but a lot of those songs weren't master tracks - if they spring for those, that plus the drum, bass and vocal additions could make it worth the price. The swarm of spin-off titles is getting to be a little ridiculous, admittedly, though.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Well, it'll be good for folks who don't have the older GH games, I guess. But, yeah, worthless for people (like myself) who have been playing since the original Guitar Hero on PS2.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Why not actually make the songs downloadable tracks for Guitar Hero World Tour or GH3? Why not start to make their products work together rather than against each other?

I'm starting to really be happy that I have chosen not to support Activision and their choice to use obvious money-grabbing tactics rather than produce good games...

It'd be wishful thinking to have this cause more people to jump ship to the more deserving and superior game Rock Band, but instead the mindless hordes will still go on to buy this (and every other) version of GH just because it says "Guitar Hero" on it, even though the games really aren't good anymore.

Siuss

Nov 3, 2008
BigDragun987 said:
Grand_Poohbah said:
I'm concerned about who is picking these "greatest hits."
Exactly what I am worried about.
I'm going to guess we are in for a lot of "Through The Fire and Flames" esque songs...

/puke

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
BigDragun987 said:
Grand_Poohbah said:
seconded

also, this should just be a track pack that could be downloaded in full or in part(individual songs). I don't want another freaking disc to have to put in when I already own the damn songs already. The drums and vocal will be a nice touch on free bird, as well as a few other gems on the old guitar hero discs, but is it worth 50 more bucks?

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
super_smash_jesus said:
BigDragun987 said:
Grand_Poohbah said:
seconded

also, this should just be a track pack that could be downloaded in full or in part(individual songs). I don't want another freaking disc to have to put in when I already own the damn songs already. The drums and vocal will be a nice touch on free bird, as well as a few other gems on the old guitar hero discs, but is it worth 50 more bucks?
The incorrect answer here is "no".
The correct answer is "FUCK NO!!!"

And has anyone besides me noticed the irony of their name. Activision = Active Vision, but not as of late.

Jonathan Hexley

Jul 4, 2008
When I actually heard about this, I was quite excited. I never got Guitar Hero I or Rock the 80s, and my Guitar Hero II disc got eaten by my Xbox, so a chance to essentially get the 'best parts' (I damn well hope so anyway) of those games with added drums and vocals AND master tracks, I think that's pretty sweet.
Now what IS kind of a waste? Guitar Hero On Tour. Hey, let's take songs from recent guitar hero games and put them in here because... Uh... I dunno, because we can!

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I would prefer they make the songs available individually as DLC as theres only about 15-20 songs in total I like in GH 1-3.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
johnx61 said:
I fail to see the problem here.

If I was a GH:WT owner I would most certainly be interested in this. If only because the older GH games have some pretty good songs on them and since you are getting drum and vocal tracks too, it's not like you're getting the exact same thing.

This will be especially good if they spring for master tracks. Which they should.

Funny thing, though. No one seemed to complain about people who jumped into RB2 having to shell out money for RB1 if they wanted those songs. Not like they're making you buy new instruments, too.
That's because with RB2, I pop in the Rock Band 2 disk and have everything on the one disk. Here, it doesn't matter if you are a GH:WT owner or not, as having that game means absolutely nothing to having to buy this game. It just means another disk to clutter up your playspace, another disk that pretty much everyone has already purchased (and gotten more songs as they won't be including every song from the previous GHs), as well as having to buy what you have already purchased again.

It is another case of Activision trying to milk money from its consumers instead of trying to promote their game by giving something to the community. What will this game cost? Probably $60 bucks. What's it worth? Much less than that. Do I get a discount as a purchaser of their previous games?

darkwater124

Mar 19, 2009
But this is the thing. They made it DLC so you didn't have to switch discs. And that's people's problem with this. They could've easily made this DLC for World Tour, or have a code to input, like the AC/DC pack.