Guitar Hero: Rock Opera

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
Meh, not your best article. Not very original (I've read way too many 'check out this awesome but way too crazy game of mine-idea'-articles), and it's kind of void of humor and, well, something interesting. This is tl;dr-forummaterial, not something for the Escapist's frontpage.

flabslapper

Sep 24, 2009
I didn't read all of the comments, but I had a similar idea that would be way easier to execute, basically you combine Guitar Hero with Gitaroo Man, so instead of using a PS2 controller, you use the guitar

seraphmaclay

Nov 4, 2008
This is what I thought Brutal Legend was supposed to be in the beginning, but as an RTS somehow. I think that would have made it a much more lasting game in my opinion, but alas, alack. I mean, you can even see elements of it in their when you have to play the songs Legend of Zelda style. How much more awesome would that have been if you were using the guitar to wage a war? I mean they could have incorporated the tilt mechanic to make the plastic axe a real one in game. Oh well...maybe the Shmup I heard about for Xbox Live will eventually come out and make people realize that these are still controllers. Until then, I'll use it to play Rock Band, navigate the Xbox Dashboard, and (if it ever comes back) play that 1 vs. 100 game.

-Sara

Darkdreams

Apr 13, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Extra Punctuation: Guitar Hero: Rock Opera

Yahtzee Croshaw re-invents the rock opera, Guitar Hero style.

Read Full Article

Now thats a new thinking game that if made well.. would be awsome...
id play it in a heartbeat.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
This is quite possibly the greatest idea for a game I've ever heard. Certainly the best I've heard in a very long time.

Excellent column as usual.

zamble

We are GOLDEN!
Sep 28, 2009
Cool idea. I hope the game companies don't get shy and steal it right away!

Neshel

Nov 12, 2009
I think the idea probably needs some refinement, but holy crap would I play that game!

asbrandr

Nov 12, 2009
Towards the very end of your post you mentioned bosses consisting of a sort of timed button pressing dance/song playing event! That idea instantly reminded me of this old playstation game called Brave Fencer Musashi when you fought Topo the mouse girl in a dance off. I'm absolutely certain that that is exactly what you were trying to explain to us readers! You should totally check out her boss fight on YouTube!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jackelbeaver

Oct 17, 2009
Alot of this just sounds like the sort of "high concept" pitch that would get wittled down in playtesting and development for being repedative, not fun, tedious, too difficult, or too confusing. the "ring of monsters" aspect is probably the most enjoyable sounding mechanic of this design doc, although the ability to fly somewhere else probably wouldn't integrate itself well. it's too detached and just seems like an easy-out that could well be exploited.

It's a start but like any game design doc the final product would have to greatly differ from the original idea. (And even then a game that relies so heavily on the visual flair would just end up on the shitty pile.)

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
I'd been trying to come up with something like this for a long time. It would be a standard, 4-member-party RPG, where the singer is the wizard, the guitarist is the sword guy, the drummer is the... something or other, and so is the bassist. So, good idea, Yahtzee, is what I'm trying to say.