Guitar Hero: Rock Opera

General Thrax

Apr 15, 2009
Rickmanguy said:
That would actually make a good game, provided the developers know what the hell they're doing. It's what Brutal Legend should've been, really...
Well, if they want to make the game good, they should bring Yahtzee in as a lead director or consultant something in that general area of authority (and actually listen to him). Then it would almost be guaranteed to be good.

Pink_Pirate

Jul 11, 2009
uhmmm.. yeah.. worst.. idea.. ever. Guitar controller wouldn't work well for anything except pretending play music... anything else would control horribly and wonky.. not to mention camera control, unless someone is prepared to programme camera scripts for every possible character position in every single location in the game... taking away camera control would take away the sandbox feel... this is just yahtzee being pissed off that brutal legend was a bit crap

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Thats too much imagination for them Yahtzee, they will never do it.

Sounds awesome though, I would get it if it's as perfect as you described it. I'm not really interested in the Guitar Hero/Rock Band games but this may get me into the plastic guitar toys.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
haha oh I'm a proud American but to be honest the Washington DC video was just funny
and no real offensive bashing or anything really
more or less filled with comments my siblings and I may have said on a family trip to DC (other than "zzz")

Tears of Blood

Jul 7, 2009
Hmm. I think I'll have to be the downer for this game idea. First, an article from The Escapist.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_221/6582-Why-Your-Game-Idea-Sucks

Now, admittedly, it'd probably not be a stretch to see Yahtzee be able to convince some people to help him make this game, but still.

Also, I genuinely liked it. It was a nice game idea. But, I think it had a little too much going on. It doesn't have enough focus to please any certain crowd. The rabid party-going Guitar Hero fenatics would find it too much like a real video game to enjoy it, and the mainstream gaming crowd, I think, would be quite pestered by the inability to move during combat but the ability to move while driving the van. Also, the combat would be like playing some strage off-shoot of Tetris in 5 different planes. Enemies slowly lumber toward you while you try to clear them. You may be killing them instead of making lines with them, but it's still quite similar.

But, okay. Yes, it's a good idea, and I would probably get the game if it was on a big budget.

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
Is this gonna end up as "Mankind has yet to appreciate my genius 2" or something? because as with the original, its an awesome idea that would likely kick the ass of most video games but with very little chance of happening because unfortunately i dont think Yahtzee wants to go through all the effort to go get either made...

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Dear Yahtzee,

I 'believe' that I have seen all of your reviews, and although you may never read this, I put 'believe' in the quotes because the way you say things in them makes me laugh quite hard. I do enjoy your idea of a rock opera game; the idea that we should make more use out of peripherals that have costed quite a bit of money is very true. I always wonder, why do you hate drummers? They are the butt of every joke in music based games and I must admit I am not sure why. Care to Elaborate in some form?

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
Well Yahtzee, is that a dream game of yours or what?

Anyway, that sounds like a chaotic, albeit interesting idea. Now if only some developer could find a way to harness that chaos, maybe we can find some other use for our overpriced plastic instruments.

MyDigitalHeaven

Aug 28, 2008
Its never going to happen. We all know that Harmonix and Activison are going sit on Rock Band and Guitar Hero for years until they pumped out a version for every musician on the Earth. Its a f*8king cash cow that will go on forever.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
That... Was beautiful man. It would actually make me consider getting the plastic.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
MelasZepheos said:
That sounds like possibly the most awesome game/idea/thing ever. I wopuld actually play that, and enjoy it.

KDR_11k said:
You should use the motion sensor (at least the Wii guitar should have one) to let people go Knorkator with the guitar and smash things directly as an emergency measure (e.g. a full circle swing to knock all nearby enemies back but it wears your guitar down and if you use it too much the guitar breaks).
Yahtzee does not promote the Wii in any shape or form. Thus I predict ruin for your Yahtzee inspired Wii game.
But I can picture him hyping up this big wii game only to tell people weeks before it's release than he was kidding and would never release a game for the wii.

That aside I thought he wanted a metal opera style guitar hero and figured this post would make him my messiah.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
I just looked this up and found the 360 Guitar Hero 2 controller is plug and play compatible with Windows XP and Vista. You could reconfigure an existing game to be played with the "joystick" so long as your brain can make sense of the new button configuration.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
That's a terrible idea Yahtzee, but I suppose it goes with the equally as bad video.
Oh and btw, Americans have the "shitting all over a proud nation" monopolized. Also, PLEASE wear something other than BLACK, it doesn't make you look cool.