Gun Sights Are Overrated.

phenity

Jun 23, 2010
Faster paced games shouldn't have sights to aim down. It seems that when any person aims down their sights they also step in super secret invisible sludge that covers their entire body making them move and aim much slower.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Outright Villainy said:
Yeah, I kinda miss the old style accurate from the hip gunplay. It was a lot more fast paced. Thankfully there's still tf2. :D
Both methods have their place I think. It all depends upon how fast paced the action is. In a game like Quake, the idea that I might need to aim down sights is laughable when I could potentially be moving in excess of 50mph (on foot no less) trying to hit a target doing something similar. Of course, since most FPS games in this day and age favor a more realistic perspective, aiming down the sights becomes entirely acceptable.

Mr Shrike

Aug 13, 2010
RAKtheUndead said:
I play ARMA 2 with the Advanced Combat Environment mod. I'd like to see you play that without using ironsights.
^This.

I can understand lack of sights for something like Counter Strike, but it just annoys me when I can't look exactly where I'm shooting.

EDIT: Try playing without a crosshair. You'll find it's bloody hard to hit something. Hence, iron sights. Also bear in mind that in real combat, you're not really meant to get close to the enemy. [off-topic rant]If you find you're reaching for the knife, chances are you're doing it wrong![o/off-topic rant]

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I am neither for or against the sights. I just wish there weren't so many shooters trying to be realistic.

I don't care what flavor of aiming they use, just as long as they stop with this realistic nonsense that is never realistic. Give me a monster spam shooty fest and let me carry more than 2 guns. I play Doom 2 a lot more than I play any modern shooter for that reason.

Getting back on topic, it matters less how you aim, but more how fun it is to shoot.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Sights, or no sights. Just as long as I can shoot someone.

Valve games don't have sights on their guns, and it plays just fine. MW2 has sights on its guns and it plays just fine.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
it drives me banana's if I don't have iron sights. I always disliked the old shooters that didn't have them, and I was ecstatic when I started playing games with them in it. Iron Sights are amazing to me, and I hope to god they never go away.

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
Well to be honest they need to fix the "look down your sights" mechanic. Why? Because when you actually do it in real life, you've got both your eyes open, even though you use one to look through your scope/sights. At least that's what we learned in the army. How to do it in a video game? No idea, but that's how it should be.

The Bum

Mar 14, 2010
Well most shooters go for "realism" and in real-life you can't hit jack diidly without aiming down the sights.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
I like iron sights because it reassures me that im going to hit my target, I played games before the iron sights came on the scene, and after, and I find it unnerving that I cant look down the barrel.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Serving UpSmiles said:
Black, even the name knows what is. If you don't know it was a PS2/OXBOX game with graphics so good it looks like a current generation shooter.
Wait, what!? No, it really doesn't. It isn't even the best looking game of that generation.

Gun sights are very, very important. It's the only way to be accurate. I would never play an FPS without iron sights or scopes, because the shooting WILL suck, accuracy will take a dive, and multiplayer will end up being about who is the luckier player.

Seriously, you never fire from the hip in real life, either.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Honestly I can't believe so many people enjoy aiming down gun sight.

The main reason why I hate it is because when you see an enemy you can't just shoot him right away. NOOOOO you have to waste a fraction of a second to bring up your fucking gun and aim the reticule at the enemy, and in that fraction of a second they do kill you. However in older shooters like Halo or Half-life you can easily aim and shoot the enemy without delay.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Iron sights aren't their for "immersion", they're their for AIMING.

As in, it's much easier to AIM with iron sights.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
Firing without iron sights is firing from the hip - firing with them is accurate aim. Simple and also why this formula is used is just about every shooter now. Not having them is like taking a step backwards - so yes stupid developer choice there

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
This video [http://www.spike.com/full-episode/navy-seal-vs-israeli/39047] (warning, contains MASSIVE SPOILERS to this episode [http://www.spike.com/full-episode/navy-seal-vs-israeli/39412] of the TV show Deadliest Warrior. I strongly suggest watching it first) talks specifically about weapon sights (beginning around 7:43, to around 10:40). It's a long video, so I'll pull the relevant quotes...
Rob Roy said:
Its the operator behind the weapon... People's assumption is that it's the sight or it the type of weapon that's gonna make you a better shooter, and it's not. It's the basic foundation for becoming a better shooter which makes you good...
...He goes on to talk about how sights are used, how weapon systems help (or don't help) firing speeds, the general irrelevance of the system without huge advantages (such as a telescoping sight), etc.

Here's the point. Not being able to actively aim your gun is horribly unrealistic. In a game attempting for realistic gunplay and violence, not slowing down and aiming more accurately breaks the "suspension of disbelief". If you can't get past game mechanics (even one you don't use all the time) the game fails. What they should have done is either included an aiming feature (perhaps only while in cover, for players who prefer to run and gun) or made the game significantly less realistic.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
SantoUno said:
Honestly I can't believe so many people enjoy aiming down gun sight.

The main reason why I hate it is because when you see an enemy you can't just shoot him right away. NOOOOO you have to waste a fraction of a second to bring up your fucking gun and aim the reticule at the enemy, and in that fraction of a second they do kill you. However in older shooters like Halo or Half-life you can easily aim and shoot the enemy without delay.
That only really corresponds to when your crosshair is already on the target though - if you have to move your crosshair on to the target you can pull up your sight while adjusting your aim and lose no time and be more accurate.

Also keep in mind all bullets in those games go dead centre of the crosshair with no spread and have no real recoil. Reason you really only see this with older shooters now in because recoil and the likes have been added in to pretty much all shooters now

Sep 14, 2009
ehh, its getting old really fast, i love shooters where its all up to jagging back n forth and how smooth you are with the aimer, rather than "ZOMG IM GOING TO CROUCH SNEAK AROUND THIS CORNER DOWN MY SIGHTZ! THAT GUY IS RUNNING HE WONT BE ABLE TO GET ME!"

all in all, i hate realistic shooters for the most part, thats why i dont like "Looking down the sights", like the OP said it gets in the way and is just annoying for the most part.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Erm, shooting from the hip sucks arse imo, sorry, if you can't aim down the (iron) sights, that's just stupid and irritating.

Also, being a spiritual sequel to a game that did something exceptional does not excuse a game from being a generic brown shooter with no redeeming quality that's further missing a vital and basic FPS component, on the contrary.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
I disagree. Iron sights are far superior to the old Counter Strike Crosshairs.

Of course everyone knows that now, which is why basically every current Gen FPS has it.

Vestsao

Aug 24, 2009
Variety is nice. Some games should feature ADS and others with shooting with the hip with precision being the basis of your accuracy. Having one industrial absolute would lead to shooter stagnantion (already the first whiffs of this are starting to spew up from the shooter market), so it's nice to see a game like this coming along and transgressing some of the gameplay conventionalities in favour of some 'archaic' yet very effective and severely neglected mechanic.

But the youtube community is basically composed of those who are dedicated enough to video-games to spend hours and hours on CoD and Halo, and that's it.