Gunman in Moncton, New Brunswick

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-shooting-rcmp-surround-building-as-manhunt-continues-1.2665707

So, I came across this last night. Figured I'd post some Canadian news on here.

Long story made short, police are searching for Justin Bourque, 24, who ambushed and killed 3 RCMP officers while injuring 2 others. The incident happened after police received a call at 7:20 p.m. on Wednesday about a man wearing camouflage and carrying guns.

Also some people were making facebook pages for the gunman after hearing about the shooting.

Police have told residents in a large portion of the city to remain inside and lock their doors while they continue to search. Schools in the area have also been closed.

Public transit has been shut down in the city as Codiac Transpo has taken all its buses off the road.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Hehe, "Syrup Eater".
This made me wonder, what's Canadas's stance on gun selling/ownership?

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Hehe, "Syrup Eater".
Ok, here we go. Pulled from the RCMP website.

Basically you need to pass a safety course, and then mail away for a licence. When you're approved you'll get it in the mail and then you can go purchase firearms. Approximately every five years you will have to renew your license.

The course you would take is called the Canadian Firearms Safety Course, (CFSC for short) and the license you'll get is called a Possession and Acquisition Licence, but everyone just calls it a PAL.

In Canada, there is a second course called the CRFSC (the R is for Restricted,)which allows you to buy restricted firearms.

When a restricted firearm is sold, given or traded to a new owner, the registration record must be updated to reflect this transfer, and a new registration certificate issued to the new owner.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Dead Century said:
Well I don't know how that works out for Canadians but in theory it sounds way more responsible than what Americans do. Most American states don't require people to get a state permit, a license or even register their gun.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Dead Century said:
Well I don't know how that works out for Canadians but in theory it sounds way more responsible than what Americans do. Most American states don't require people to get a state permit, a license or even register their gun.
I'm no gun expert, but the basic idea is to verify as much information as possible on who owns what and keep that info current.

marche45

Nov 16, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
Which would be so easy to fixed if so many goddamn idiots weren't so worried about "muh gun rights obama is gonna take them away".

On topic:I wonder,are rampages like this becoming more common or is it just the fact that we can share info so quickly making it look more common?

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i just read that one of the survivors was released others still in there i hope they find the bastard

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
marche45 said:
On topic:I wonder,are rampages like this becoming more common or is it just the fact that we can share info so quickly making it look more common?
I'd like to think the latter is true. We're just more aware due to the ease of sharing info. I'm not sure how you could accurately answer that question, maybe through statistics?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Dead Century said:
marche45 said:
I'd like to think the latter is true. We're just more aware due to the ease of sharing info. I'm not sure how you could accurately answer that question, maybe through statistics?
Yeah, mostly the latter...though plenty of other nasty crimes go uncommented on despite this. Shooting sprees tick a lot of the right boxes.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/06/06/justin-bourque-moncton-shooting-arrest_n_5457118.htmluy
Well, they caught the guy.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Dead Century said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Dead Century said:
I'm no gun expert, but the basic idea is to verify as much information as possible on who owns what and keep that info current.
I wonder if that's how they identified him before he was even arrested.

I think I like Canada's gun laws. They look like such a giant pain in the arse that only people who have a genuine reason for buying guns beyong "muh freedom" will actually go through the entire process, which, incidentally, is how unemployment and welfare systems work.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Dead Century said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Hehe, "Syrup Eater".

Basically you need to pass a safety course, and then mail away for a licence. When you're approved you'll get it in the mail and then you can go purchase firearms. Approximately every five years you will have to renew your license.

The course you would take is called the Canadian Firearms Safety Course, (CFSC for short) and the license you'll get is called a Possession and Acquisition Licence, but everyone just calls it a PAL.

In Canada, there is a second course called the CRFSC (the R is for Restricted,)which allows you to buy restricted firearms.

When a restricted firearm is sold, given or traded to a new owner, the registration record must be updated to reflect this transfer, and a new registration certificate issued to the new owner.
Though it's worth noting that Canada doesn't have a lot of the import restrictions that the United States does- making it easy to get cheap "assault weapons" made by companies like Norinco (China North Industries Corporation) which have been blocked from US import since 1993. I remember a friend in Ontario not long ago telling me that he ran across a store selling Norinco-made M14s (7.62x51mm semi-automatic battle rifle) being sold with 5 20-round magazines for $450. To compare, a Springfield M1A (civilian M14 equivalent made in the US) sells for $1,500-$2,000. Canada also allows import of the Type-97 carbine, a civilian model of the Chinese army's current issue QBZ series assault rifles.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Oh look, another bad human, from Canada, with the initials J.B. COINCIDENCE?! Of course. What, you thought I was going to go the other way on that? That would be silly. What are you still reading this comment for? Go on, get outta here. Stop wasting your precious time and go play outside with your friends. You won't be young forever.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
tangoprime said:
Dead Century said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Hehe, "Syrup Eater".

Though it's worth noting that Canada doesn't have a lot of the import restrictions that the United States does- making it easy to get cheap "assault weapons" made by companies like Norinco (China North Industries Corporation) which have been blocked from US import since 1993. I remember a friend in Ontario not long ago telling me that he ran across a store selling Norinco-made M14s (7.62x51mm semi-automatic battle rifle) being sold with 5 20-round magazines for $450. To compare, a Springfield M1A (civilian M14 equivalent made in the US) sells for $1,500-$2,000. Canada also allows import of the Type-97 carbine, a civilian model of the Chinese army's current issue QBZ series assault rifles.
True. But we also have 3 firearm categories. Prohibited, restricted, and non-restricted.
Those would fall into the prohibited class.

Prohibited firearms include short-barreled handguns, sawed-off shotguns and rifles, and automatic weapons. Large-capacity magazines are generally prohibited, regardless of the class of firearm they are used in.

Prohibited firearms are not illegal, though. They are just governed under a stricter set of regulations.

You can read some of the regulations here.
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-98-462/FullText.html

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Dead Century said:
tangoprime said:
Dead Century said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Hehe, "Syrup Eater".

True. But we also have 3 firearm categories. Prohibited, restricted, and non-restricted.

Prohibited firearms include short-barreled handguns, sawed-off shotguns and rifles, and automatic weapons. Large-capacity magazines are generally prohibited, regardless of the class of firearm they are used in.

Prohibited firearms are not illegal, though. They are just governed under a stricter set of regulations.

On April 28, 2013, Norinco's new EMEI T97NSR has been classified as a non-restricted firearm by the RCMP with the FRT Number 142760 and thus, legal for dealers to import for those with non-restricted possession and acquisition licenses. It is legal in Canada for hunting, varmint control, target practice and competitive shooting. It went into retail stores on September 17, 2013 and costs about $1,000 CAD.

I understand, though, that RCMP track firearms possession much more than they do in the United States. Was just making the point that you guys are frequently able to get much more capable military-style weapons then we are down south here, and for cheaper.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
I laughed an unhealthy amount at that "Maple Gear Solid" image... I'm a bad person.

Anyway, I'm glad they caught the bastard, my deepest condolences to the families of his victims, and I hope the two who were injured recover soon.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
tangoprime said:
Dead Century said:
tangoprime said:
Dead Century said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Hehe, "Syrup Eater".

On April 28, 2013, Norinco's new EMEI T97NSR has been classified as a non-restricted firearm by the RCMP with the FRT Number 142760 and thus, legal for dealers to import for those with non-restricted possession and acquisition licenses. It is legal in Canada for hunting, varmint control, target practice and competitive shooting. It went into retail stores on September 17, 2013 and costs about $1,000 CAD.

I understand, though, that RCMP track firearms possession much more than they do in the United States. Was just making the point that you guys are frequently able to get much more capable military-style weapons then we are down south here, for cheaper.
Like I said in an earlier post, I'm not much of a gun expert. I definitely see your point though.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
My uncle and aunt are living in the neighbourhood that was locked down. The gunman passed right in front of their house. I also have a few friends who live not far from there and they stayed indoors.

I'm happy they caught the bastard. One of the victims was a young father with a one year old child and another coming on the way.

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
Good to see that they caught the guy. I live in Georgia in metro Atlanta so this guy wouldn't have made it very far once people had gotten wind of it. I'll take my state's gun laws over Canada's laws any day of the week.

Edit: The more I look at the Maple Gear Solid pic, the more I laugh at it. I have issues...

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
That Metal Gear Solid picture is just amazing.

Anyways, I'm curious as to why the guy surrendered, rather than go out in a fight with the SWAT team. Seems like he was prepared for it. Given that he killed three cops, he'll be in for the rest of his life anyways, so it would have made more sense to go out in combat, 'ya know? With a bit of integrity, as well.

But yeah, I'm eager to learn of the motive.