Gunman kills 5 at LGBTQ nightclub

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
That's what I hate about people who want to compromise and meet in the middle. On one end, trans and gay people shouldn't be allowed to exist and must face mandatory state sponsored torture to "fix" them. On the other end, LGBTQ+ rights are human rights, yay rights!
Now lets compromise and meet in the middle. LGBTQ+ are allowed to exist, but maybe they can't vote. Or can't own property. Or must register with the state.
The two parties are too far apart to ever reach compromises anymore. There is no middle ground, no shared beliefs or values.
People who want to meet in the middle are just conservatives with commitment issues. Their waffling, hemming and hawing only serves to advance the status quo and in the end they ultimately stand for nothing.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
That's what I hate about people who want to compromise and meet in the middle. On one end, trans and gay people shouldn't be allowed to exist and must face mandatory state sponsored torture to "fix" them. On the other end, LGBTQ+ rights are human rights, yay rights!
Now lets compromise and meet in the middle. LGBTQ+ are allowed to exist, but maybe they can't vote. Or can't own property. Or must register with the state.
The two parties are too far apart to ever reach compromises anymore. There is no middle ground, no shared beliefs or values.
They've allowed to exist but all of their "sinful and evil" behavior has to happen behind closed doors where no one else can see it. Like how Herschel Walker
is allowed to scream about how abortion is murder and Christian values while getting a bunch of mistresses pregnant and aborted but he doesn't do it in front of everyone to see! He has the good grace to murder all those babies and fuck all those women behind closed doors like a good Christian.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
They've allowed to exist but all of their "sinful and evil" behavior has to happen behind closed doors where no one else can see it. Like how Herschel Walker
is allowed to scream about how abortion is murder and Christian values while getting a bunch of mistresses pregnant and aborted but he doesn't do it in front of everyone to see! He has the good grace to murder all those babies and fuck all those women behind closed doors like a good Christian.
Don't forget holding a gun to a baby momma and daughter's heads. And going on Fox news to talk about his electial disfunction, and how he only has a shlong shot to win.

Reactions: tippy2k2

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Yeah, so here's the thing about being in the majority: Everything celebrates you. Just look around at advertisements and see conventionally-attractive straight white couples pictured every Valentine's Day, traditional Midwest families during Christmas, and so on. And you get used to that- so used to it, that anything which celebrates something outside the majority starts feeling like an attack. And some people respond violently to that "attack."

This isn't an even playing field, not by a long shot. When was the last time a major political or media figure started screaming that you were less than human for being straight?
That's not being celebrated, that's just being the default. It doesn't feel celebratory at all, it's just normal and commonplace. People aren't celebrating heterosexuality when they put those ads up, they just know that most people are bound to be heterosexual and so they wanna appeal to the most folks possible. It doesn't feel like someone is somehow celebrating my special way of being when I see an ad, I don't even notice it being at all about me, even when it includes heterosexual people or men or what have you.

In fact, when one does go out of their way to celebrate such groups, THAT is being perceived like an attack in the way you describe. I remember things like a straight pride parade for example being ridiculed and attacked in just the manner that you envision here.

We all agree that any political figure screaming anyone isn't human is an idiot, already, and that's what really matters here. That's what the culture actually consists of and the values it has. That crazies exist doesn't undo any of that.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
That's not being celebrated, that's just being the default. It doesn't feel celebratory at all, it's just normal and commonplace. People aren't celebrating heterosexuality when they put those ads up, they just know that most people are bound to be heterosexual and so they wanna appeal to the most folks possible. It doesn't feel like someone is somehow celebrating my special way of being when I see an ad, I don't even notice it being at all about me, even when it includes heterosexual people or men or what have you.

In fact, when one does go out of their way to celebrate such groups, THAT is being perceived like an attack in the way you describe. I remember things like a straight pride parade for example being ridiculed and attacked in just the manner that you envision here.

We all agree that any political figure screaming anyone isn't human is an idiot, already, and that's what really matters here. That's what the culture actually consists of and the values it has. That crazies exist doesn't undo any of that.
The reason that gay pride parades exist is because for hundreds of years gay people have been systematically murdered and erased from society and history for being gay. Things like gay pride parades are there to tell people "it's ok to be gay and we are accepting of you."

The same thing is not necessary for straight people because being straight is the default and already accepted everywhere. You don't need a "straight pride parade." Your sexuality is already accepted, affirmed, and upheld everywhere. You're so used to it that you don't even notice. No one needs to pat you on the head and tell you that it's ok to be straight because being straight was never not ok. Being gay only became ok within the last few decades (literally within most people's current lifetime, and it's still not acceptable everywhere), so yeah, gay people need more encouragement than you.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The thread has gotten to explaining why straight people don't need a straight pride parade?

The internet only has so many gifs of Kermit and Fozzie singing "Movin' right along".

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
That's not being celebrated, that's just being the default. It doesn't feel celebratory at all, it's just normal and commonplace.
Straight people being miserable is hardly anyone else's fault. Well, it's the government's fault in my case, but that's not relevant.

Think of it this way:

Person A gets given £100 every day. Always has, always will. Monday, £100; Tuesday, £100; Wednesday, £100, etc. Doesn't have to do anything for the money, just gets given £100. So by the Saturday on the 2182nd week of Person A's life (person A is in their early 40s), when they once again receive £100, it's pretty boring isn't it. Just pop that in the big grey bank with all the other pounds. Yawn.

Person B has never been given £100 before. Person B has, in fact, spent their entire life having pounds taken away. Person B is given £100 one day. Whoopeee! This is something that needs to be celebrated.

The analogy isn't quite there, but you may or may not get my point.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dreiko, can you do everyone a favor and stop fucking talking? If you can't be respectful to those who died or mourning from the loss of their loved ones from a mad gunman with shitty values, then don't say a damn thing and not derail this thread. You have no empathy, so stop pretending otherwise, and fucking leave this topic alone.

Last edited:

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Five people are dead, and your priority is, "I want to be rewarded for being the default." I will repeat: Read the room.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Man who helped stop shooter at Colorado gay club ‘wanted to save family I found’ | Colorado | The Guardian

Reactions: Seanchaidh

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: Seanchaidh

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy