Guys (or girls I guess): How would you react to this?

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
It would be awkward for me seeing that no one has confessed any kind of love for me much less one of my friends.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I'd feel sad for them, as there would not feel the same for them, and rejection is horrible. Plus I'd know that it would have been very difficult for them to keep that inside them whenever we have spent time together.

I would be flattered as well, but to be honest I think I'd care more about their feelings more than mine, seeing as I wouldn't have any to return.

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
If is was a close friend, I'd freak out, but I have close friends of both sexes and both would freak me out equally I think. Since I'm bi though, if anyone who wasn't close to me did I, um, might see it as a bit of an opportunity.

KLJT

Sep 15, 2010
Same as if they were straight, laugh like i thought they were jokeing until they died inside and laughed too

bam13302

Dec 8, 2009
im in a relationship right now, so i would probably say-"sorry, im taken"
if i was single, i would probably give him a chance to make his point, but i would be naturally against the whole thing

the D0rk One

Apr 29, 2010
ReservoirAngel said:
the D0rk One said:
I never thought gay people are troubled when a person of the opposite sex hits on them.
I can't speak for all gays but I get freaked the fuck out when a girl hits on me. I dunno how to process the situation and end up babbling like a fool. Even if she's really hot, I can't handle the entire premise of what's happening and my brain just tries to force me out of the situation.

It's a reason I'm envious of Jordan (my boyfriend). Whenever a girl hits on him he's just totally in his element, being all charming and letting them down gently. Even buying them a drink sometimes as a 'thanks but no thanks' kind of gesture. The suave bastard.
Uh... why?
The fuck is wrong with you :)?

Ok, please excuse the lame joke, but what on earth makes you uncomfortable?
You do have the right to say no, even to hot, confident chicks who walk up to you, whatever your reason might be.
I suppose it could turn out ugly, depending on the person's acceptance and aggressiveness, but at least gay people turning down straight people can't be accused of homophoby (hope I spelled the nasty word right).

KyoraSan

Dec 18, 2008
I'm surprised how many people are taking this from a decent perspective at least when they talk about it. I skimmed the first page of comments and it seems like there were only 2 or 3 that were worse then "Well I'd be really freaked out, but I would hope it wouldn't bother me and I'd still be friends." Not sure if that trend kept up, but it shows that the Escapist isn't full of 12 Year-Old Gamer Stereotypes (who would just laugh them off as a "fag"), or homophobic bigots (who'd either turn tail and run or start proclaiming about how it's ungodly).

Somewhere in the cynical abyss of my chest, I think I felt a beat.

What I'm honesty interested in, though, is how many people would actually react like they say they would. It's easy to sit here and think "Oh, well, I'd do this," but when you're faced with it, will you act logically, or not? I always thought I'd be decent in just such situation, and then I had it come up (or, as it would for me) and it's still making me avoid that person as much as I can to this day. There were other factors involved, and who knows, it could have been those other things (and for certain some of it is), but how much of it was predicated on just how awkward I found out to be obsessed over by a person of opposite gender?

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
I'd tell them that I don't have the same feelings for them. Pretty much the same reaction I give when someone of the opposite sex that I don't have feelings for says the same thing. Hell, I even told that to one of my gfs when she told me that she loved me.

Although, I've been known to respond to "I love you." with "That's nice./That's nice?" depending on who it was. XD

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Probably elation that anyone would even be attracted to me in the first place. Sadface.

That being said, i'll admit i'd probably get a weird feeling if i was in that situation. Like the feeling you get when you're at the top of a rollercoaster and about to take a big plunge. It would feel weird, not necessarily because it was a best friend telling me he liked me such a way, but because i think i would feel weird if someone of the same sex told me they liked me like that regardless of who they were to me.

However, i would remind him that while i could never feel the way he does due to being straight, i would perhaps state gently that i could still feel strongly about him in a platonic way. Like when you have a really good connection with someone, and you 'love' them, but you don't love them. If that makes any kind of sense. I tend to subscribe to the idea that anyone can love anyone regardless of gender and orientation, but when it comes to sexual attraction, some things can just never be. I would hope he could understand that. I've not had this happen to me before though, so maybe my actual reaction would be different to how i'm describing it here. I guess none of us can really know how we will react to something without experiencing it for ourselves.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
the D0rk One said:
ReservoirAngel said:
the D0rk One said:
I never thought gay people are troubled when a person of the opposite sex hits on them.
I can't speak for all gays but I get freaked the fuck out when a girl hits on me. I dunno how to process the situation and end up babbling like a fool. Even if she's really hot, I can't handle the entire premise of what's happening and my brain just tries to force me out of the situation.

It's a reason I'm envious of Jordan (my boyfriend). Whenever a girl hits on him he's just totally in his element, being all charming and letting them down gently. Even buying them a drink sometimes as a 'thanks but no thanks' kind of gesture. The suave bastard.
Uh... why?
The fuck is wrong with you :)?

Ok, please excuse the lame joke, but what on earth makes you uncomfortable?
You do have the right to say no, even to hot, confident chicks who walk up to you, whatever your reason might be.
I suppose it could turn out ugly, depending on the person's acceptance and aggressiveness, but at least gay people turning down straight people can't be accused of homophoby (hope I spelled the nasty word right).
I've just got long-lasting confidence and inter-personal issues. I react almost the same way when a guy hits on me. I just don't like disappointing people, I'm always worried they'll get annoyed with me. Particularly when they put themselves on the line by approaching me to ask me out.

Honestly, how I got a boyfriend I'll never fucking know...

Ouroboros0977

Jan 1, 2009
Gently turn them down and hope that we can still be friends (considering my 2 gay friends are amazingly awesome people and I would hate it if it got arkward between us).

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Something of the sort has happened to me before, but I turned them down because I didn't feel the same way. I mean, I'm bi, so it doesn't much matter to me beyond the usual issues that would happen if a friend professed affections to a friend.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
To be honest?

I'd probably tell him that while i'm flattered, i'd rather he moved on.

MissGinaKid

Mar 16, 2010
Well I'm a hopeless romantic so I would more then likely go along with it unless I had a major issue with the guy.