Guys (or girls I guess): How would you react to this?

Jan 27, 2011
Assuming my 4 closest friends were not straight and one of them confessed he liked me in that way?

I'd probably blink and go "what? ....Come again?". And then say "Oh boy...Look, you're one of my closest friends, and I practically consider you family...But no, I'm sorry. I don't swing that way. I hate to hurt you like that, but I'm not into same sex relationships."

And then probably crack a joke that since I consider them practically family, it's one step away from incest, so double whammy.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
I would be flattered, but I'm afraid I'm quite definitely heterosexual.

I'd try and let him down as gently as I could though, he is my friend after all.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
If my best mate told me he loved me I'd tell him I loved him too and to shut the fuck up and keep chopping the weed.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
I'unno. Depends on which friend. I can sort of see myself dating one of them, but so far as I know he's straight, and it's not as though I have a major crush on him myself, so... I guess I'd give it a shot, if it was the particular friend I'm referring to.

In the meantime I'll stick to dating chicks though. Love being bisexual. So many more options, so much more room to focus on personality instead of whether I'd be comfortable fucking them.

Mar 9, 2010
"Why the fuck wouldn't you love me, have you seen me?" Then I walk off, pretend it never happened and move on. That's what I've always done when someone tries something like that and I'm not cool with it, ignore it forever.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
I would simply say: "Sorry dude, I don't swing that way.", for the simple fact that I am not interested in guys at all. I'd probably stop hanging out with him for a bit too, but after a while I would continue hanging out with him.

However this really depends on how they tell me they like/love me. If they just came out and said it, I would be taken aback a little bit, and than respond as above. But if they started flirting with me, one I would take it as a joke and shrug it off as such, and if they got more "aggressive" about it, I would probably end up decking them. Depending on how aggressive they got.

...Would aggressive be the right word there?

BlackSaint09

Dec 9, 2010
Not that any sane person regardless of sex would ever even for a nano second consider being in love with me or anything.
But on the off chance that something like that would happen id be curious and i hope my honest reaction would be: "Sorry dude but im into the ladies. But dont worry youll find someone."

Unless i actually find them attractive and the feeling is mutual and i actually turn out to be gay... Which until now im pretty sure im not.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I'd be very surprised, and kind of flattered, but not interested. I dont know how hard that will be for them to take or if they thought I would suddenly come out if they confessed that to me, but I'm just not interested in it. Comfortable with my heterosexuality that we could still be friends, I think, though. Unless of course they kept treating that as if I was still undecided or needing more convincing. I dont. Not interested, but also dont want to lose a great friend if I dont have to. Nothing is going to happen between the two of us.

If they keep thinking that they can somehow convince me or that I'm lying to myself, then yea, I would probably end that friendship for awhile since they cant get over something that I've made very clear would never happen, and that shouldnt stop them from pursuing other loves for people that they probably havent even met yet.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
I can say what I want now, the actual situation would probably halt logical thinking or plans anyway in my position, I'd freeze on the spot, haha. Then again this would be true for any confession regardless of gender. I draw pretty clear lines between friendship and love for myself, so I wouldn't be curious and decline, tho in what way I'd actually do that is unpredictable due to the emotional surge.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
I'd be a little freaked out...
they always say you should never try relationships with long time friends...

that and I doubt any of my friends are gay... and if they are, I'm still safe, seeing as how I'm kinda unappealing to everyone
:D
*cries*

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
My gay friend likes to lie on me and make the occasional grab for my junk.
I don't mind too much, since I actually like physical contact, but if he goes for my junk the only way to subdue him seems to be to tickle him which doesn't create the greatest image.

Basically, I don't mind. If he had feelings that'd be a bit awkward, but he often tells me how he tries to make me gay and wants to fuck me.

I just add this to my emotional masochism pile and think to myself "Why couldn't this have been a girl? T_T"

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
At first I'd have one of those "Not sure if serious" moments. Then I'd casually turn them down. I'm not gay or bi and I'd assume a close friend would know that about me.

The Arc of Eden

Jun 7, 2010
First I'd curse genetics for making me a male instead of female. Second, I'd let him know that i'm flattered but I've already considered my sexuality under deep scrutiny and still came out the other end as hetero as can be. I'd proceed to let him know that i don't think any less of him and I respect his decisions, but I don't hold any romantic feelings for him. We can still be friends, but now there would be a boundary that both of us would need to respect.

the D0rk One

Apr 29, 2010
ReservoirAngel said:
okay so maybe it's just ME with the history of bad dates. :)
Nah, DA's got that too... actually, I got my way with them ME gals... especially Zero... Leliana and Morrigan caused some trouble (only cuz they weren't into each other, the dumb bitches) =))

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
the D0rk One said:
ReservoirAngel said:
Nah, DA's got that too... actually, I got my way with them ME gals... especially Zero... Leliana and Morrigan caused some trouble (only cuz they weren't into each other, the dumb bitches) =))
It literally took me about 5 minutes to figure out what the hell you were on about there...

the D0rk One

Apr 29, 2010
ReservoirAngel said:
the D0rk One said:
ReservoirAngel said:
It literally took me about 5 minutes to figure out what the hell you were on about there...
C'moooon, it's way funnier than that... I guess.