Guys (or girls I guess): How would you react to this?

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Well if it was my best friend i would be 'dude, wtf?' and if he persisted i would be seriously weirded out, but thats because ive known him for 26 years and he's more straight than i am. If it was another friend i would just be slightly embarrassed and say 'yeah, i like you but not that way'

While i cant deny I've had the odd daydream about someone of the same sex i don't find any of my friends to be attractive, and sex really complicates friendship no end. If i did have a friend i found attractive i honestly dont know how i would deal with it.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
the D0rk One said:
ReservoirAngel said:
the D0rk One said:
ReservoirAngel said:
okay so maybe it's just ME with the history of bad dates. :)
Nah, DA's got that too... actually, I got my way with them ME gals... especially Zero... Leliana and Morrigan caused some trouble (only cuz they weren't into each other, the dumb bitches) =))
It literally took me about 5 minutes to figure out what the hell you were on about there...
C'moooon, it's way funnier than that... I guess.
I guess. I've seen funnier. Like my aunt dressed as Hitler doing the can-can on her front lawn.

And that makes no more sense in context, I assure you.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
thejackyl said:
I would simply say: "Sorry dude, I don't swing that way.", for the simple fact that I am not interested in guys at all. I'd probably stop hanging out with him for a bit too, but after a while I would continue hanging out with him.

However this really depends on how they tell me they like/love me. If they just came out and said it, I would be taken aback a little bit, and than respond as above. But if they started flirting with me, one I would take it as a joke and shrug it off as such, and if they got more "aggressive" about it, I would probably end up decking them. Depending on how aggressive they got.

...Would aggressive be the right word there?
I think 'persistent' is the word you want.

Yeah, I'd shoot him down firmly. If it came to decking such a person though, I'd be in trouble, because the one friend of mine who I could see doing something like this is more than a bit crazy. Punching him would make the situation turn very nasty, very quickly.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
None of my female friends have ever hit on me. I HAVE been hit on by women of course, but they were all women I didn't particularly like AND whom I found scary as all hell so... I babbled something and ran off to hide basically.

If one of my friends ever did though, I guess I'd be flattered. But I'd feel uncomfortable too.

My friend's mother's boyfriend confessed to having fallen in love with me though. Yeah. THAT was fun. /sarcasm

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
Being (possibly) bisexual, I would react positively. Actually, I have a crush of some sorts on a friend of mine. He is straight though, so that goes out of the window... On the other hand, I haven't told him this yet.

the D0rk One

Apr 29, 2010
ReservoirAngel said:
I guess. I've seen funnier. Like my aunt dressed as Hitler doing the can-can on her front lawn.

Well... I'm so used to abbreviations I tend to read all capitals that way, so when you posted about your dates ending up awkward I misread a couple of times...

Either way, drunk reading (and writing) is funny... and interpersonal interaction is plain weird. Most dates are awkward until they turn to something else.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
These days, I'd be flattered and kind of touched, but also uncomfortable. I'd worry that it would harm our friendship, since- as a thoroughly heterosexual guy in a committed relationship- there would be absolutely no chance of reciprocation, though I'd still value them as a friend. People who are romantically interested in someone tend to treat them rather differently than simple friends, and it can create a situation that's ripe for abuse (in the sense of either intentionally or inadvertently taking advantage of the amorous person's generosity.)

I'd have to confess that I would have had a rather stronger negative reaction back when I was in, say, high school- not because I had any particularly negative feelings toward homosexuality, but because my of a fear of the harm it might do to my own reputation among a peer group that was already fairly homophobic. If such a declaration had been made publically, my reaction might have been downright hostile.

I'm not proud of that; that was high school. (For any foreign readers, American High School is for many the final period of publically funded education, with the majority of students between the ages of 14 and 18. It's the last period preceeding college/university, for those who go that route.)

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
the D0rk One said:
ReservoirAngel said:

Well... I'm so used to abbreviations I tend to read all capitals that way, so when you posted about your dates ending up awkward I misread a couple of times...

Either way, drunk reading (and writing) is funny... and interpersonal interaction is plain weird. Most dates are awkward until they turn to something else.
Yeah I need to learn to use italics for emphasis rather than just writing it in capitals. Just causes confusion.

And yeah, pretty much every date I've been on started out awkward. Even when I go out with my boyfriend now after months together it's still weirdly awkward at first. Not sure why...

They normally end awkwardly too, except for one or two, the first of which ended non-awkward, but ended with me in hospital. I'm a walking disaster area, I really am.

Alexlion

May 2, 2011
id be flattered but it would make things awkward, mainly because i wouldn't love them back but i admit partially because i wouldn't know how to react to some one from the same sex hitting on me.

Cap'n Ninja

Magnificent Malefactor
Jan 16, 2011
Personally, I'd be flattered, and depending on circumstance and which friend, act accordingly. A few of my friends are certainly my type, but some others I either know too well to want to ruin a friendship with a bad break up, or aren't the type of girl I'm interested in.

For further clarification, I'm theoretically bi. I have liked other girls in the past, but not really any more than guys, but I haven't really had any experience with gals, so it's entirely speculative in that area.

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
We'd have a really awkward conversation in which I'd have to explain that I'm not gay, but if I was I'd probably go for it. Something like that.

Not fun, but I'd try and not make a big deal out of it and hopefully keep our friendship intact.

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
I would definitely be surprised, but I would try to let him know that I'm just not attracted to other guys. From there I would hope things could go back to friends but having had similar situations with opposite-sex friends I know that might be unlikely.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
Since I'm gay, I would probably go out with them. Chances for relationships that are more than sex are few and far between for us.

Edit: The final statement was in relation to us being friends.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
ReservoirAngel said:
So yeah, what would your instinctual reaction to be if one of your close friends suddenly out of pretty much nowhere confessed such feelings towards you?
"How long have you felt like this towards me?"
"Hmmm, OK..."
"You been sitting on this all by yourself?"
"...I'm sorry [ ], I'm not playing hard-to-get here but I'm not that way inclined, old friend; not to any fella - I'm sorry you felt like you had to worry and 'choose your moment' to bring this up with me"
"Heck, you and me both, chum"
"Come on, let's get a coffee at Brew, my treat - I owe you that much. Christ! With your ballsy, winning ways I'm surprised there aren't lads dropping at your feet!"

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
It depends on the particular friend, but for the most part, I'd make it clear that I wasn't interested. Beyond that, it wouldn't affect me or change the way I treat him in the least.

Shoot Here

May 12, 2011
It has happened to me. Twice actually. Maybe it would've been less awkward if I wasn't currently dating someone else.

It's really, really awkward.

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
I've been thinking about this lately, as I recently broke it off with a girl because, well, she didnt feel the same way for me. I got out of it in time, though, so Im alright.

The reason Ive been thinking about this tough, is when I afterwards started thinking about who would be my an ideal girlfriend. I realized I measure all women I meet by my best (female) friend. Ive even caught myself thinking that she is the perfect girlfriend. Now, she's in a relationship with my best male friend, and they fit really well together. It's great having your two best friends be in a relationship with eachother, although you sometimes may feel like the third wheel.

Ive known her for about three, four years now, and I'll admit, I had a bit of a crush on her at some points. I think she had a crush on me too, at some time, but we never got to anything. Now, we have just grown into being best friends.

I think I could take a bath with her, without it being weird at all. Neither she nor I have anything to hide from eachother, I suppose. But I could still have sex with her. She's still very attractive. I think I would actually go for her, if she were single. This is kind of a strange realization for me.

It's interesting, because this doesnt bother me at all.

Neo10101

Sep 7, 2009
It'd be a little awkward, especially if the person is a normal friend you hang out with, however gender doesn't play a huge role, because if anyone confesses their love to someone who doesn't see it the same way back then it will be awkward.