Guys That Play Girls In Games. Why?

AK47Marine

Aug 29, 2009
If your going to be following an ass around an MMORPG for hours upon hours it may as well be a nice one is the excuse I get.

I actually role play in RPGs though, so I play male characters because I am in fact male. My one buddy who plays mostly female toons and RPs females isn't girly or anything, he's in to guns, in the military, marrying a rather attractive woman, the only girly thing about him is his taste in beer....and his RPG toons.

I did roll a female shephard, because I heard there was a noticeable difference in play through so I went through just for shits and giggles, I made her as bad ass as humanely possible though just for my own personal amusement.

Emily Boogades

Jul 6, 2010
I don't think RPing a female character is inherently girly. I've read before, somewhere, that some men portray female characters in writing or games as a way to idealize or explore their concept of what a woman would be like. Less about being a woman themselves and more about getting a better idea about women in general, or just enjoying the ability to fashion their own.

And, hey, sometimes, girls wanna see boy-on-boy action, guys wanna see girl-on-girl. I believe in an intellectual approach, but facts are facts. :p

YouBecame

May 2, 2010
I am more inclined to pick a girl character than a guy character (though not exclusively picking one gender or the other). Im male. I only do it because I prefer to look at the female characters :)

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
A recent comment brought up another reason some guys may play a female character. Some achievements/accolades aren't available to male characters.

This was brought up in a discussion on GameFAQs in one of the threads regarding Dragon Quest IX. Apparently, there are more accolades available for female characters than there are for male ones...so completion-wise it makes more sense to play a female character as opposed to a male one.

steph01a

Jan 5, 2011
I switch off. sometimes male, sometimes female. really depends on what clothing I'm making. It wouldn't look right to have a male wearing a loincloth designed for a female ...

SkyeNeko

Dec 30, 2010
I play as a guy if a.) the girl has her lady bits hanging out or b.) the guy is hot enough to make me want to play the game more often. Especially in the mmorpg i play, having a female sprite will get you male attention in-game. I cant tell you how many guys have wanted to help my character with weapons/items/help leveling just because my sprite was a girl. I then proceeded to create a male account so that i could run around surprising people.

Magicman10893

Aug 3, 2009
I just play as females in RPGs after a playthrough or two to see if and how the story changes. Sure it might not extremely change the story beyond belief, but little changes like how you can deal with Benny in Fallout New Vegas.

Also, why does everyone hate the voice acting for Male Shepard? I personally like it better than the female voice actor!

minakorocket

Jun 4, 2010
Magicman10893 said:
I just play as females in RPGs after a playthrough or two to see if and how the story changes. Sure it might not extremely change the story beyond belief, but little changes like how you can deal with Benny in Fallout New Vegas.
Oh is that how you dealt with him. ;)

Magicman10893

Aug 3, 2009
minakorocket said:
Magicman10893 said:
Technically, no. I have yet to make my female playthrough of New Vegas, but I have read online at the Fallout Wiki for interesting ways to deal with Benny and it lists *that* as one of the ways to resolve the quest.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Oh, and on a (game-)historical note whilst thinking about it ... Sophitita in Soul Edge. Not only because she was cute (but certainly not "not because"), but because she seemed to be one of the more realistic characters and certainly more real-seeming female fighters in any beat-em-up I'd played around that time. To, say, an original-SFII-chun-li level anyway. Certain others like Taki just felt offensively OTT even to a pubescent male geek.

Plus she could actually kick quite a lot of ass. I think she was one of only two characters I managed to complete the game with.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Magicman10893 said:
minakorocket said:
Magicman10893 said:
Technically, no. I have yet to make my female playthrough of New Vegas, but I have read online at the Fallout Wiki for interesting ways to deal with Benny and it lists *that* as one of the ways to resolve the quest.
Getting shades of "Cloud goes on a date with Barrett" / the FF7 brothel scene here :D

Feb 8, 2010
Emily Boogades said:
And, hey, sometimes, girls wanna see boy-on-boy action, guys wanna see girl-on-girl. I believe in an intellectual approach, but facts are facts. :p
Lets not forget that there are guys that wanna see boy-boy action, too! xD

A reason, I suspect there is a particularly large number guys playing female characters is exactly because there is a choice - so often people are stuck playing a stereotypical macho male. It might really be a throwback to a reason many people play games in the first place; to escape the mundane, the typical and the boring.

Turkey Braveheart

Apr 15, 2010
For the most part, I made an attractive female avatar (complete with a short skirt and a cat ears head band :D ) when I played Saints Row 2. I did it for two reasons: it was hilarious watching bunch of gangsters following a pretty girl and it was more fun watching her backside than that of my male avatar.

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
Aesthetics mostly. If I have to stare at a screen for hours and hours I might as well enjoy the view. :}

steph01a

Jan 5, 2011
Ok guys .. I know y'all like to stare at female butt and that's the main reason guys play a female character in 3rd person. Nothing at all wrong with that.

I've been modding for Morrowind and Oblivion for a while and found that when I make clothing mods for female characters they are always downloaded more than the male character mods. Although, Alienslof (find her on TesNexus or her website) has taken modding for male characters to the extreme. If you're familiar with her mods, you know what I'm talking about. I have just about all of her mods ... *grin*

Mikazuki

Oct 9, 2008
For me, I just choose female characters sometimes (I've played both ME's several times with several different Shepard's, both male & female, for example) because I like the way game developers makes them look. When I look at WoW's female characters, in most cases I find them more aesthetically pleasing then their male counterparts. I find most women characters in most (good) games very good looking, and most of the time they have very smooth animated moves, and better looking spellcasting moves(Bayonetta, FemShep, FemChar in Saints Row 2, DA: Origins etc.).

But that's just my opinion :)

OT: It's very possible that someone has already mentioned this in the last 22 pages, but I just wanted to point out that: He's called Shepard! Not Shepherd :)

I am obviously referring to OP's first post.

{Massive Mass Effect fag here}

GotMalkAvian

Feb 4, 2009
I figured I'd weigh in and add my opinions to this already unwieldy thread.

I rarely choose to play a female in games. In games that let me choose the gender of my character, I almost invariably choose male. This is because I find it easier to immerse myself in a game where I'm playing a male character. I can play a character of just about any race, but for some reason gender can break things for me.

There are two notable exceptions to this:

1. When I played WoW, I had a few female characters. Mostly, this was just to add some variety to my character list.

2. In Mass Effect (both games), my primary (Paragon) Sheperd was male, but I had to make my secondary (Renegade) Sheperd female. I tried making another male Sheperd for my secondary character, but hearing the same voice coming out of such a drastically different face was just way too jarring. I'd gotten so attached to my original Sheperd that I couldn't possibly associate the voice with another version of the character.

GunstarHero

Mar 19, 2010
Shepard is Jennifer Hale.

That aside, I'd rather not stare at some dude's bum for 12 hours of a game.

Besides, what's more of an escapism than losing the wang? ;o)