Guys That Play Girls In Games. Why?

steph01a

Jan 5, 2011
I think it's because of the internet - "where men are men, women are men, Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus."

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
why the hell not?
if girls play guys then why not the other way?
It this suppose to be a double standard such as if a girl dresses like a boy in public she is just a tom boy but if a boy dresses like a girl then he is weird or gay or is just a drag queen walking down the street.

Well I say to you mister! because you can! :D

Aug 25, 2009
My first game evar and the one franchise for which I will happily debase myself in gratitude was Tomb Raider III.

Ever since then I have found much love for female protagonists. I like them in books, games, movies, zoetropes, and basically playing as a female in game is always me trying to recapture the halcyon days of my first experience with Lara Croft.

Yes, I am that shallow.

AssassinJoe

Oct 1, 2010
If your forced to look at the back of a character through-out a game, it might as well be a girl's back.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Cursed Frogurt said:
I chose to play as a female shepard in Mass Effect because I found the male shepard to have an extremely unemotional voice.
I must be the only person who likes male Shepard because he has a hilariously unemotional voice. It works wonders on a mostly renegade themed playthrough.

Spark Ignition

Sep 29, 2010
Chairman Miaow said:
I would find it easier to imagine myself as that than as a woman. I could never know what it is like to live as a woman. I could speculate, but it would be completely uninformed as I have no experience with periods, childbirth, what it's like to be a woman in society. I have however, fought people, swung a sword etc. so my speculation is a little more informed. Again, not saying you can't play as a woman, just saying I don't see why you would.
please name the videogame where you can RP as a female character where periods and childbirth factor into the story.... Ok maybe Fable.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Spark Ignition said:
but for the record I sometimes play a female character in games such as Fallout 3 to actually boost immersion. When playing a guy the temptation is too great to make ME, and behave as I would (or at least as the flawless hero I would like to be!)
In a morally ambiguous game like Fallout 3 I found it helpful to make a character I could distance myself from, and thus make decisions I wouldn't be comfortable with while roleplaying myself, such as murdering NPCs, blowing up Megaton etc.
This is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for, thank you. I often do make a character completely different to myself, but don't you sometimes want to play a game to pretend you are this flawless hero and escape from real life?

Sinspiration

Mar 7, 2010
Cursed Frogurt said:
I chose to play as a female shepard in Mass Effect because I found the male shepard to have an extremely unemotional voice.
In homage to a line that never made it into a film: Ninjas... Daaaaamn...

That and using Z-Puncs example of lifting a monster into the air and chopping it in half as awesome: A woman doing it would be just f**king scary, which makes it all the more awesome.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
If I'm going to be staring at an arse for twenty hours, it might as well be a nice one.

No matter how much I disguise it, my answer will prbably boil down to that. I guess I also like to see if the gameplay changes at all.

Apocalyptic-Bob

Feb 11, 2009
I generally enjoy roleplaying as another character. That is kind of the point of roleplaying.

Also, in MMOs, I really don't want to be staring at man ass for 300+ hours.

C14N

May 28, 2008
I have a friend who always plays RPGs (both MMO and single player) as a girl which I always found weird. Never really asked about it but I always kind of figured he was fantasizing, since there was a girl in his class at the time with the same name as his character (same name every time).

The Arc of Eden

Jun 7, 2010
I believe for me it makes the game more enjoyable. A game like Mass Effect for me is better appreciated playing as fem-Shepard because jennifer hale's voice acting absolutely nails the immersion and makes each line feel the way it's suppose to.
In games with create-a-character systems, I do it because i find the immersion is the same so aesthetically it's about either making a bad-ass looking guy or a sexy looking female. For me, sexy almost always wins.
And in some games the gender difference is also a matter of strength vs. Speed/agility. In which case, I prefer faster more fluid movement to brute strength.

I hope that was enlightening.

YukoValis

Aug 9, 2008
I thought it was common knowledge.
Then a male plays a game they either play male or female.
If they choose male it's because they like to put themselves into the persona, imagining that they are the one in game... at least at the character select screen. After that they get lost in the grind.
If they choose female it's because they like the idea of watching a woman do all this. Something easier on the eyes to look at if you catch my drift. Sadly once again this gets all but lost (unless you get bored and start jumping around later) by seeing it all the time, or having armor cover up the more interesting parts of the female anatomy.
So a male playing a woman seems the better option in most cases. Plus depending on how low you want to take it you can always play the part and get stuff from other male players ;)

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Mostly I play first as myself(I'm a guy), then as my own custom guy (i.e. try to look like my avatar). Then I make a girl to play as, why I get tired of looking at dudes in video games after two runs.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Spark Ignition said:
Chairman Miaow said:
I would find it easier to imagine myself as that than as a woman. I could never know what it is like to live as a woman. I could speculate, but it would be completely uninformed as I have no experience with periods, childbirth, what it's like to be a woman in society. I have however, fought people, swung a sword etc. so my speculation is a little more informed. Again, not saying you can't play as a woman, just saying I don't see why you would.
please name the videogame where you can RP as a female character where periods and childbirth factor into the story.... Ok maybe Fable.
Maybe I'm just taking to much from method acting into RPG's huh?

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
This topic again? We've been over this, use the bloody search bar.

Might I point out that no one criticizes girls that play guys in games?

Character design, the fact that some games have classes that can ONLY be played as certain genders, and finally, why not escape further by playing a different gender?

Srdjan Tanaskovic

Oct 20, 2010
If We are talking about RPG then because

1. If I'm going to stare at an ass fore 20 hours then let it be a nice one
2. I want to see how much of the story will change if I play as a female (like in Fallout where you can have the perk Black Widow)

Manoose47

Dec 8, 2010
well, if you want to play as a complete mysogynist you might choose to play as a woman in fallout 2 you can actually whore yourself out to men for money... awww yeh, thats a classy reason to play as a woman.

However i find in most modern games it really doesnt make that much of a difference, besides the odd romance option, characters generally dont treat you much differently.

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
I can't relate at all to macho bad-ass men because I don't act like that and don't aspire to. I tend to avoid hanging around guys like that because they're usually complete tossers.

I always play female characters... like everyone else pretty much stated, because I can, and I especially like a game that allows me to create her in an image I want. I therefore, have the ability to make a strong and well-spoken heroine that has intricate character depth not at all related to how much clothing she's not wearing... like so many pre-made female characters in mainstream games.

Also I enjoy seeing strong women completely destroy smug "bad-ass" macho guys in fantasy settings (and real life). They deserve it.

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
Ashcrexl said:
there are exactly two genders. one is male. the other is female. guys play lots of video games. therefore it should come to reason that guys tend to play males a lot and they tend to play females a lot. plus they dont get to be females in real life, so there's that.
No, there are a multitude of genders varying by culture. There are exactly two sexes... and even that is deceptive because there are a certain amount of people who, on a physical or chromosomal level, don't fit into the idea of binary sexes.

On topic: Not only do I play as the opposite sex, I usually also play as a different race. I just enjoy it... maybe some part of me secretly wants to be a woman or something, I don't know, but I tend to enjoy the game more as a woman than I do as a man.

Also, I am in no place to say whether someone feels immersed or not, but that argument always seemed odd to me for the reasons already states by people such as "somebloke." Of course, if I were to dare to suggest that maybe some people are struggling with social gender perceptions I just know someone will tell me what an oversensitive pc liberal something something I am.