Guys That Play Girls In Games. Why?

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
The only time I play a female character is if it has some direct affect on the game, like better stats or a different storyline.(or tricking 14yo-40yo guys that Im a girl and get them to give me all their stuff.)
Otherwise, I'm more comfortable playing a male. Easier to..project myself on the character.

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009
Kortney said:
Well ignoring the majority of games where I have to play as a male, I think that males in games seem a little more realistic. A lot of female protagonists (with the exception of perhaps Mass Effect) seem weird to me and do nothing other than break immersion. Maybe I'm just self-sexist (is that even a term?), but I can't see how a girl with double F breasts would be able to run around saving the galaxy. Not when they could be in the kitchen.
Or it might be because of the fact that the games industry is plagued by poor character design when it comes to female characters. Most of the time, their only purpose is to serve as eye-candy and not be portrayed as competent galaxy-savers. Apparently, according to the games industry; that's a man's/robot's/alien's/mutant's/etc. job. :p

RottingAwesome

Aug 15, 2009
Yeah, I'm going to have to go with more aesthetically pleasing. If I am trying to get into a game and immerse myself however I usually go with a male, but if I just need to be looking at a character to move them around then why not have a female?
Their costumes are usually cooler too

pwnzerstick

Mar 25, 2009
You say that it ruins the immersion because I am not a girl, acording to this logic every game would lack immersion as I am never the person I am playing as.

Thundero13

Mar 19, 2009
When I saw the two characters in Pokemon Ranger I actually thought that they were both girls and which one you picked only decided on whether you got Plusle or Minun, when I found out that one of them was a guy I just thought "screw that, i'm playing as the one who actually is a girl" also in Ape Escape 3 it's easier as a girl, anything else I play as a girl is because i've played it multiple times and I play as a girl about half of those times.

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
Chairman Miaow said:
Distance yourself from the character.
More or less this one for me, but there's also a storytelling element for me. Basically, female protagonists are more interesting to me if it's a male dominated arena. (As most game environments are.) A gruff male space commando isn't that interesting because everyone else is, as well. Gears of War might hold more interest for me with a female protagonist simply because it would create a bit of conflict in the storyline. (In this case, as the woman having to work twice as hard to be just as accepted. Also because it would deflate the aggravating testosterone overload in that game series.)

The intriguing thing to me is that simply acknowledging this in the game is enough for me to make it work: Dragon Age's female protagonists were actually treated as women, with people reacting differently than men, and that was really satisfying. Even Tony Hawk Underground worked, since people got pronouns right. By contrast? Skate 3 barely acknowledges female characters, and it feels jarring and awkward.

This tendency extends to other scenarios. Left 4 Dead's most interesting character to me is Louis, followed a bit behind by Zoe. Why? Because Louis is an office worker. Who'd expect him to survive? By contrast, Bill is less interesting (he's a Vietnam vet, so it's unsurprising, but his age is intriguing) while Francis is dead boring.

Basically, female protagonists are less expected, and that's why I enjoy them more.

zero195

Nov 17, 2010
Didn't you all know, MMORPG stands for Many Men Online Role Playing as Girls.

But yeah, i think most guys make female character to try and exploit the stupider populous of other men that will give you stuff just for having bewbs (in game obviously).

As for regular single player games, i haven't a clue... save for that they enjoy staring at their character's ass all day or something.

Da_Schwartz

Jul 15, 2008
If anything i think playing a female in certain games adds to immersion. To me the idea of a woman taking up arms, being a total badass and beating impossible odds is alot more intriguing then a muscle bound sterotypical male. IE every action movie ever made. But it depends on the game, or class choice if its an option. I play both but I'd say its about 60/40 female to male.

kotorfan04

Aug 7, 2009
Well maybe I am a perv, or if I am gonna be staring at a character's backside for ten hours it might aS well be a kind of pleasing backside. Also I like to torture myself and try to get into a female character's headspace. It never works out well.

Sh0ckFyre

Jun 27, 2009
I play as Zoey in Left 4 Dead because I am an unstoppable badass with tits and can easily top anything my other 3 co-horts have to contend with.

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
For variety, basically. The opportunity to put yourself in the mindset of a character that's different from you is always refreshing; it doesn't destroy immersion in the least. I'm not very athletic, yet most characters I play can jump several feet and fight five monsters at once; immersion is NOT compromised. ;)

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
Sometimes it's just cooler to play as a girl. I mean, you see a bunch of guy badasses, leading their army to victory. It kinda gets old after a while. You see some badass chick kicking ass and leading her army to victory, that's just a thousands times cooler. As long as the voice acting is good(if you have voice acting) and the game doesn't force you to be something stupid just because you're playing as a female.(healer or archer)

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009

[HEADING=1]Because I am a sword and shield toting, armor-plated, claw-bearing, moon-howling badass, that's why!![/HEADING]

VeganG

Apr 29, 2009
Because in a hobby saturated in machismo, it's refreshing to choose Female whenever possible.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Depends on the game. Morrowind I was always male. Mass Effect I cannot stand the male voice. Therefore I am always female. In KoToR the males fighting over you is more hilarious than the females fighting over you, so I am usually female. For Fantasy RPGs like D&D and WoW, the archetypes in my head switch between male and female. Example, the archetype fighter, ranger, wizard are male whereas rogues and sorcerers are female. It just happens the latter are my favorite classes.

Ashcrexl said:
there are exactly two genders. one is male. the other is female. guys play lots of video games. therefore it should come to reason that guys tend to play males a lot and they tend to play females a lot. plus they dont get to be females in real life, so there's that.
The reason I always say is "I am a male 97% of the time. I want to be female dammit!"

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
for me, it's mostly about variety. I'm an altaholic from hell. I think I've had several hundered characters each in oblivion, mass effect, and dragon age, and half a dozen each in morrowind, alpha protocol, and a few others. When you play the game that many times, ANY change at all is welcome and helps keep it interesting.

Goro

Oct 15, 2009
Country
Australia
From an immersion perspective, I usually play as a male, because I want to be the character, I make them as much like me as I can. My Shepherd looks a hell of a lot like me. Having read this topic though, I might play through my next game as a female....

Lukeman1884

Sep 21, 2010
As a smart man once asked: "Would you rather spend all your time playing games staring at a guy's butt, or a girl's?"

Generally when I play games, I don't do that roleplaying, pretending I'm the character type thing, so I don't really see myself as having "transgender issues". And I can attest, after playing many different MMOs, that female avatars definitely get treated nicer. I had random people coming up to me and giving me free stuff. Never happened on male avatars.