Guys That Play Girls In Games. Why?

Celador

Oct 26, 2009
There was an old comic (forgot where i saw it) that sums up my opinion - playing a sexy women character with boobies is only natural for a man, rather than playing a hunky male paladin with a longsword.

Lets face it - male elfs, vampires, humans, sometimes even barbarians, look incredibly "bent" (as in "bent over") and you have to wonder why would a guy play a character that either looks like a generic "anime emo kid" or 300 pound pile of meat, instead of a sexy high-elf half-naked priestess.

Got nothing against gays though.

Lukeman1884 said:
As a smart man once asked: "Would you rather spend all your time playing games staring at a guy's butt, or a girl's?"
Oh yeah - there it is.

kwagamon

Jun 24, 2010
Well I have a few reasons. Back when I played RuneScape (go ahead and laugh, I don't care) I made my character a girl for a day basically just to run around doing virtual prostitution. And I made some serious in game money doing it, too!

Also I'll freely admit I'm a bit of a pervert, and I like several friends of mine believe that it's more interesting to stare at a woman's ass all day in an RPG than a man's. I don't get off on how my character looks, but I like to joke like I do when my friends ask why my character's a girl.

Also, they tend to just look nicer in most RPGs. In most RPGs I've played recently, men are overmuscled freaks who once you slap armor on them just plain look silly because their shoulders were already bigger than their heads. If you put the same armor on a woman, it's smaller because your character is smaller and it looks slightly less preposterous (unless you play WoW, where your shoulders are the size of Texas with armor on either way).

Also, one of the things I found out when I was in my early teens is that I love roleplaying outside of roleplaying games. It's fun for me to make up a character, then pretend to be that character. I like my characters to be decently far from how I personally am, though, so lately I make my character's women for that reason. (I actually like Fable expecting me to care about nameless NPCs and such. There are many other issues, but I like the series.)

Anezay

Apr 1, 2010
GiantRaven said:
Cursed Frogurt said:
I chose to play as a female shepard in Mass Effect because I found the male shepard to have an extremely unemotional voice.
I must be the only person who likes male Shepard because he has a hilariously unemotional voice. It works wonders on a mostly renegade themed playthrough.
No, good sir, I too enjoy bored Shepard.

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
Cause chicks that kick ass are hot, and watching a hot chick kick ass is fun. Thus it increases my fun for the game. Though games like Mass Effect and such I usually go male, for the relationships. Shepard + Tali? Yes please.

CarpathianMuffin

Space. Lance.
Jun 7, 2010
For me, it's a breath of fresh air to play female characters. And I don't know what it is about them, but for some reason I tend to invest more time and skill in characters of the female persuasion. Which isn't to say I automatically play female characters right off, the characters that I invest the most time in just seem to be female.

Guitar Gamer

Apr 12, 2009
Perhaps they (We) do it for the express reason that we are not girls (and there are a thousand ways I could elaborate on that).
Perhaps you don't like the way males look in the game.

Perhaps because it is just as immersion breaking to see a guy with pectorals the size of his head to strangle a balrog to death and make sweet love to the goddess aphrodite, than to see a girl do more or less the same thing. Gender does not play a huge role in the immersion for me there.

It could simply be for the kicks, it can be a lot more ....shall we say awesome? to watch a girl slice open a demon than a guy.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
In games that places the protagonist in the emotional centre, with a lot of focus on forging your own personality (Mass Effect, Fallout, Knights of the Old Republic), I usually pick my own gender (male) at the initial few playthroughs, occasionally doing an additional playthrough as a woman if the game warrants it. After all, it is easier to relate to your own gender for most people, though if someone feels differently, there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

However, when the game provides more of a framework for the player to project any number of potential narratives into (Mount & Blade, Demon's Souls, Titan Quest), I'd gladly go female, as they often provide a better dynamic to this male-centric medium.

So... yeah? Why not. Is it wrong for a male to, say, read a book with a female protagonist? That's nonsense!

silverhawk100

Dec 17, 2009
There's another reason that a few people have danced around, though it's a bit intellectual: It's somehow easier to make interesting, well-developed heroines than it is for heroes to do the same. This is simply because men are expected to fight and women aren't. So when a woman does fight, there has to be some ostensible reason for her to, whereas a man fights simply because he has to fight. See how one goes into background while the other goes into current obligation? Female protagonists already have some characterization simply by existing, whereas males can fight just to fight. Witness Duke Nukem vs Lara Croft: stereotypes, yes, but the former fights because he's strong and everyone else is weak, the latter fights for a variety of reasons, chief among them, the acquisition of ancient treasure. These are as shallow a character as it gets and even the woman is better-developed than the man (no pun intended).

Plus they're edgy and subversive. People who want to rebel against the norm for whatever reason will choose female because it's not "supposed" to be done.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
Most of the time I try to play as myself plus a beard, however often I play as a girl because

a) the girl "class" is really fast. Example: Tekken

b) the girl class has special perks or abilities that I like. Example: Fallout 3's Black Widow Perk and the Borderland's Lilith.

c)I felt like playing an MMO and don't wanna stare at man ass for 60000000000+ hours (though admittedly, I never get past the 25 hour mark on most MMOs.

d) no one else wants to be Zoey on Left For Dead (1) and over time I began to actually like her character. Plus she stood out with her red shirt.

lolcatize

Oct 6, 2009
idk for some reason it feels more fun playing as a female than a fucking mascular superman for once

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
I had my spartan in Halo: Reach be a girl just for funzies. I thought it would be a nice change of pace.

aldt

Nov 17, 2010
If I ever play as a female, it's because the male character models look so ridiculously godawful or hypermasculine that I just couldn't stand to look at them. It's not usually possible in FPS games, because the protagonist (and almost everyone not specifically designed to be there for sex appeal) is just an undulating mass of muscles, cased in a ludicrously heavy and thick battlesuit.
In Fallout 3, however, the male character model was reasonable, so 85% of my characters were male (I did 20 or so playthroughs).
However, when you have an option of species as well, I generally consider the immersion factor thrown out the window. A female blood elf resembles me just as much as a male tauren, and the blood elf has better curves.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
MishiSings said:
YoungZer0 said:
I'd love to play Female Shepard. But the Monotone Voice really irritates me.
Don't you mean Male Shepard?

Female Shepard's voice is loads more expressive then Male Shep's.
I can't seem to figure out why people think this. I played ME2 as FemShep, and felt like banging my head against a wall every time she spoke. The most boring, monotone, man-ish voice I've heard from any character in any game.

Maybe the voice actress just did a lot better in the first game (still haven't gotten around to playing as FemShep in that one), but I really don't see it. Er, hear it, rather.

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
Well the times I have played a game as a female it was because only certain items or clothing were available to women characters and the same goes for males, lol I'm a massive customization freak. o_O With that I like to make the best looking character out there, no I'm not trying to make a perverted statement or anything like that, just one that looks really well created and well thought out not just slapped together in five minutes.

One other reason take for example the MMO I play I had my name changed to a reference from Bleach after I put it I realized it was feminine so I thought hmm... what the hell! =D

Hope this gives you some good reasons to put down. ^^

Krylock

Dec 20, 2010
Why the hell would i play as a girl in Mass Effect or Halo Reach? I don't care if it slightly alters the gameplay. I'm not going to play as a female...