Guys That Play Girls In Games. Why?

HusaneFatal

Mar 19, 2008
I play a male character (same sex as myself) and I find much like you do that I can't really become immersed into the game as much when I'm playing a female character I just don't feel like it is really me being portrayed in the game that way. However if I'm going thru a game a second time I will generally pick a female character because at that point I want to see what it is like to be someone almost completely opposite from me go evil or screw someone over that I wouldn't have done the first time to see what the consequences were if any and also if new dialogue trees or other things open up not previously available to me as a male or good character.

On the other hand most of my friends play exclusively female characters saying their reason is that if they have to look at someone's ass all game they'd prefer it to be a girl's.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Because female voice actors tend to not make me want to beat my face against a keyboard.

Take Mass Effect. Who in their right mind would take that talentless hack over the siren song of Jennifer Hale?

Lem0nade Inlay

Apr 3, 2010
Might be interesting I guess.

Don't really know why though, I guess it might be easier on the eyes to stare at the ass of a chick than the ass of a guy.

kirbowshi

Sep 4, 2010
Personally I do it because it is aesthetically pleasing to do so. I also do it because there aren't many games that I (myself play) that has a lot of strong female leads. Basically I find myself playing a male character all the time, most of which are cocky, sandpaper voice, pumped up full of testosterone or "never ever talks but let my fists, guns, swords and god killing powers do the talking for me".

Plus it's an RPG and I find that reason enough to role play as something else other than a human male.

Also I do not find it fun to be looking at a guy's bod for tons of hours.

Crankafoo

Mar 28, 2010
I usually only switch over to a girl character after I'd already completed the story as the guy character. Mostly because I'd like to see if the armor looks different, or "Cooler" in anyway, and if so I'd probably keep playing to adjust my level of badass-ery with different armor throughout the game.

dancepandadance

Jan 3, 2011
i'm a girl and i almost always play as a male character. even in d&d. maybe its for the same reason, i hate being pigeonholed. i play so i can be someone completely different than myself, the more different the better.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
zero195 said:
Didn't you all know, MMORPG stands for Many Men Online Role Playing as Girls.

But yeah, i think most guys make female character to try and exploit the stupider populous of other men that will give you stuff just for having bewbs (in game obviously).
Hey, don't be knocking what proves to work every damned time, mate. :p

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Its a ROLE playing game not a self playing game. If I wanted to be me I would... well be me. But I want to be someone different, so I can role play as someone else inside the game.

Savvy?

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
If im going to stare at something while I put hundreds of hours into it, it might as well be a female. Who wants to stare at a male all day?

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
Change of pace.

Like to stare out there bods

and for some reason i tend to want to help female characters succed rather than males. I guess its the whole protecting your girl thing that guys have built into them.

rockerman19

Apr 5, 2010
I rarely play as a female, but when I do, it's usually only to see if the story of the game differs at all (Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Oblivion). It usually doesn't much, but it's more refreshing than playing through as another virtual semi-clone of myself, you know, mix things up a bit.

DevTrek

Dec 1, 2009
First and foremost I'd mention that it's because that's the default character (i.e. Faith in Mirror's Edge). But all right that's avoiding the issue. I think when given a choice I'll choose female when there's a character customization screen just 'cause I'm more interested in tinkering with female facial or other physical features than I am with a guy.

P.Tsunami

Feb 21, 2010
Chairman Miaow said:
Transgender issues.
I take a microscopic amount of offense to this. My reasons for regularly playing female characters in games run almost the gamut of the list you've drawn (notably aesthetic reasons, replay value for RPGs), but gender identity is certainly a decent part of it. As a male somewhat detached to a lot of the qualities stereotypically assigned to my gender, I'm quite comfortable (if not more so) roleplaying female characters. The use of the word "issue" in this description seems to imply that it's necessarily a problem; it's not, I (and quite possibly the majority of those this tag seems to describe) am perfectly comfortable and happy with my gender identity, and I have no issues with it whatsoever. I therefore humbly ask for an edit to change this into something less loaded. If not, well, I said I took a microscopic amount of offense, and it's not really worth having a fit about.

koga88

May 19, 2009
Unfortunately I'm going to have to agree with many who have already said that it is mostly for aesthetic purposes. Sure if there are any romantic plotlines or something in the story then I will play as a male character to take advantage of that fact but if not and given a choice I would pick a female character.

Mostly as stated before it'd be for the fact that as a man I'd rather be watching a female character on the screen than another man, plus I've found that female characters often get more variations and options presented to them in games as opposed to their male counterparts.

Also it is refreshing when you get the chance. The majority of games that don't give you a choice to create your own character always give you a male lead. Sure there are games that do give you female leads such as Beyond Good & Evil, Mirror's Edge, etc. but they are definitely in the minority. Even when you do get a choice, often there will be 3 male characters to every 1 female character you can pick from.

drdamo

May 17, 2010
First: I'm a hetrosexual male.
Therefore my opinions are:

1. When I watch people fornicating I prefer to see females, so why shouldn't I play as a female char? Sex sells and gaming companies know that, I'm not paying more or less if choose a female char so why wouldn't I watch a bouncing front and back when the alternative is more hairy and less curvy?
2. I don't need to play a man to feel like a man. I admit, I'm no atlethe, but is a stereotypical physique really that awesome? Can you only identify yourself with your avatar if the sexe equals your own? I don't have the feeling I need to compensate for one thing or another so when the choice is there I'll go for pleasing visuals. However, I'm not saying I never play male chars, it really depends on how customized your char can be. If the option is there to make the char like myself, including the non-atlethic physique I prefer that, yet for some reason you rarely are able to play grotesque characters online.
3. First impressions. Psychology is an interesting thing and playing a female has many advantages when dealing with hormone-crazed young adults, both male and female.
4. Female chars can often be smaller & thinner than males, therefore its easier to hide and you make yourself a smaller target for player adversaries.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
It's sad to see so many people playing the Mass Effect card and the Mass Effect card only. I have made my fair share of female characters but I also make a good deal of male characters. In Kotor II the plot feels better with a female character. Example is when you all get locked up right after Peragus where Atton steps into protect you from the assassin saying something like pick on someone your own size. Your a jedi you can handle it. Males natural get protective of females so this scene only makes sense as female. With female being canon the whole game feels build around it.

Games like WoW with guys with muscles the size of barrels. Thats just not normal and the females look like people. When it comes to Mass Effect though I always make a male. The plot really makes a male fit better. I tried on about my 3 or 4 playthrough to make a female I couldn't make one that didn't look default so I make a male.

I can understand guys making female characters. I can't understand guy that only make females characters. The question we should be asking is. Why do guys make a female character when everything is the game points to making a male one. You don't always need a female character when you can choose.

Why do so many people say they need to play as the opposite gender to be able to play a game differnt from themsleves? Just change to hair or something. Make it green or something.