Guys That Play Girls In Games. Why?

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
For THE SEXUAL THRIIILLL!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!!
http://images.wikia.com/familyguy/images/d/d6/Joe.JPG
Sorry, Just had to :3

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
Lot's of reasons:

-I enjoy the aesthetics. I don't usually want my character to be the over muscled steroid junkies games have a tendency to portray men as. I like bricks sometimes, but not often. For instance, my druid is a tauren male.

-It comes with perks. For instance, in Fallout 3, I can convince a man at the beginning of the game to give me a large sum of money to blow by taking a perk only available to female characters. This perk also grants a bonus to damage against male characters, which far outnumber females in the game.

-People are far more polite when I use a female character.

-I never play a character as myself, so I don't feel any need to even stay the same gender. I know people who always seem to name their characters after themselves, and I never have understood why. That to me is far weirder. I'm far less likely to even pick a human character if the option exists.

-Certain games time classes to gender. Usually the chick is a healer or mage or stealth class. I like those classes. Warriors bore me.

Kitteh

Mar 31, 2010
if im gonna watch some character's backside the whole time, i'd want it to be a girl's

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
P.Tsunami said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Transgender issues.
I take a microscopic amount of offense to this. My reasons for regularly playing female characters in games run almost the gamut of the list you've drawn (notably aesthetic reasons, replay value for RPGs), but gender identity is certainly a decent part of it. As a male somewhat detached to a lot of the qualities stereotypically assigned to my gender, I'm quite comfortable (if not more so) roleplaying female characters. The use of the word "issue" in this description seems to imply that it's necessarily a problem; it's not, I (and quite possibly the majority of those this tag seems to describe) am perfectly comfortable and happy with my gender identity, and I have no issues with it whatsoever. I therefore humbly ask for an edit to change this into something less loaded. If not, well, I said I took a microscopic amount of offense, and it's not really worth having a fit about.
Sorry, I didn't intend any offence. What should I change it to?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
For some games it might make things more interesting to not play as a generic tough guy (commander shepard my main example)

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
As a gamer I tend not to insert myself into a game, I guess it's all the rpg's I play. for me playing a game is like reading a book. I don't ever think of myself as in the game. I tend to play females for one very simple reason they are nicer to look at. If I'm playing a game like fallout 3 of oblivion and am going to be staring at a ass for hours on end then it better be a girls ass. However If I'm playing an online multiplayer game then I tend to play as a guy so the other players know I'm a dude.

TBPride

Apr 5, 2010
My best friend and I switch off starting female characters every time we start a new mmo so we can abuse the couple system most of them have these days. Also, I have way more fun dressing up female characters than male characters. Us men have like, 2 or 3 styles that can really look good, but women have many times that for some reason.

jacx

Feb 20, 2010
i do it beacuse ( this is in WoW no other game) ive made exclusivley male toons since the vanilla beta and after a while i just got tired of looking at the same model so i changed it up a bit.... plus some of the gear for my class (druid) looks way better on a female toon.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
I usually play as women, because they simply look better, and as a straight guy it's normal for me to find their view pleasant.
Only exception is Mass Effect, but it happened because in ME1 i couldn't make any good looking ladies, and i chose Sheploo. He happened to act more appropriately as the great hero. And he stayed on his position.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Well I mostly play female characters in Dynasty Warriors games. Especially for CAW characters. Why? Because they just generally look better and have better options.

Either that or the female characters themselves are really good. Like Jennifer Mui from the Mercenaries series, especially considering she's voiced by the excellent Jennifer Hale who does a great job.

In fallout: New vegas in particular I made a female character mostly to see the effects of Black Widow and Cherchez La Femme. Also sometimes it usually gets boring always playing aa a male.

Hound174

Dec 28, 2010
Well Female's in video games usually represent the characteristics that appeal to me, fighting games it's light/medium quick fast joined combo attacks, in RPG games (the older oned, new ones are purely customizable) the female was the elf, or the rogue, and in general, Girls just look badarse in games, guys are all.. buffed and generic :|
Guess those are my reasons, it's be easier if someone game me a few examples of games where I'd pick the female, then I could explain more why i did.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Sting Operations? (i'm not joking, think FBI/CIA operation)
Insecure with your sexuality?
Lets you express the feminine/masculine side of you?

There's Probably a lot of reasons. I know I like to play as girl characters in online Rps sometimes, to show the girl can be strong and confident, to balance out the sexes of the characters, and hell, I'll admit it, to get out my more feminine side. So what?

I dont know, there's alot of good reasons you already have, but thats how I could see it, or at least why (when) I do it.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
drdamo said:
2. I don't need to play a man to feel like a man. I admit, I'm no atlethe, but is a stereotypical physique really that awesome? Can you only identify yourself with your avatar if the sexe equals your own? I don't have the feeling I need to compensate for one thing or another so when the choice is there I'll go for pleasing visuals. However, I'm not saying I never play male chars, it really depends on how customized your char can be. If the option is there to make the char like myself, including the non-atlethic physique I prefer that, yet for some reason you rarely are able to play grotesque characters online.
As has been already said in this thread multiple times, no, I am not (insert example here) but I can relate more to male characters than female ones. I don't want to be them, and I don't want them to be me, but if I can't relate to them, the whole story becomes irrelevant. My character in Fable 3 was an obese selfish multimillionaire. I am none of those thing, but I can speculate at what being those things are better than I could a woman.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
The main reason I play as a different gender in my second play through of a game is because I like to see if characters will respond to me differently. I also like to see if there are different dialogue choices as well.

MadeinHell

Jun 18, 2009
One time I played WOW I met a guy who had all his characters female (he was in my guild) and I asked him "WHY?"

His response was:
"Internet is full of idiots who think they can get laid by a girl who never saw them (meaning who they contacted through the internet) if they are nice to her, even if she is across the globe.
Thus If I meet that kind of guy I act all cute and cuddly and he gives me free stuff. I'm happy because I got free stuff from an idiot, and he is happy because he thinks that SOMEDAY he might score. Everyone wins!"

That changed my perspective on world substantially.