Guys That Play Girls In Games. Why?

Another

Mar 19, 2008
I play as a lot of female characters for a handful of reason.

1.They tend to look better.

2.Because I play for escapism and/or immersion, and for me they both create the same result. Either I'm projecting myself (immersion) or I'm creating another person and enjoying their story (escapism).

3. Something about badass women just seems awesome to me.

3.5 Speaking of badass women: femshep. She came off as manlier than most of the males I do make.

Notice in 3.5 I said I do make males. Usually for warrior classes, because I find heavy armor to complement males better.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
Well, it depends on the game.

Fallout: New Vegas - I'd already completed my male do-what-I-want-to character run, so I figured I'd play as a woman with big guns (in both the boingy-boingy and bang-bang-shooty-death meanings). Also because I wanted to see if I could hit on Veronica.

Fable 2/3 - See above, without the 'hitting on Veronica' bit.

Tekken 6 - Because Lili's my best character. My next best is Miguel, and I'm not nearly as good with him as I am Lili.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
I never manage to see myself in my character, and so I find different ways to link to the them. I'll only tend to play a female character if it isn't first person, and relies greatly on story eg. Mass Effect), and I tend to shape the character into a woman I'd like.

I'm not saying "SHE'S MY WAIFU XDXD", but I can't become connected to a male character like that without the some discomfort, similar to receiving homosexual advances.

Triangulon

Nov 20, 2009
Pretty much like a lot of others. Female Shepard's superior voice acting in Mass Effect. In other RPGs eg Dragon Age its for repeat playthroughs and the purposes of completion or exploring the story. Usually play blokes in MMOs. However I was a girl in Star Trek Online. For some reason I found the male character models to cheesy. Also I was hot!

Elochai_IV

May 28, 2010
Personally, I agree with you.
Games which allow a player to choose between male and female are often trying to create a sort of virtual second world for the player, however temporary or dull it may be.
A friend of mine gave me a rather pointless and, to be honest lack-luster answer to this question when I asked him why his main on World of Warcraft was a female. He said it was because he didn't pay however much it was per month to watch a guy walk around and fight.
Which brings us back to the P3RVS perspective.
Also, the fact that he has the 'Naked character' cheat on his WoW account could contribute.

I see online characters as a personal representation of myself, so i would obviously make my character a male.

I don't see why i would do otherwise, seeing as how I don't particularly want to portray myself as a woman online, no sexism intended.

Elochai_IV

May 28, 2010
Personally, I agree with you.
Games which allow a player to choose between male and female are often trying to create a sort of virtual second world for the player, however temporary or dull it may be.
A friend of mine gave me a rather pointless and, to be honest lack-luster answer to this question when I asked him why his main on World of Warcraft was a female. He said it was because he didn't pay however much it was per month to watch a guy walk around and fight.
Which brings us back to the P3RVS perspective.
Also, the fact that he has the 'Naked character' cheat on his WoW account could contribute.

I see online characters as a personal representation of myself, so i would obviously make my character a male.

I don't see why i would do otherwise, seeing as how I don't particularly want to portray myself as a woman online, no sexism intended.

CRAVE CASE 55

Jan 2, 2009
In Fallout 3 I used femal characters becuase the Black Widow perk was 10x more useful than Lady killer. Because there are more male enimies to kill and NPC's to interact with

WarHamster40K

Dec 2, 2009
I set up a female worgen when Cataclysm came out. The story I considered was she might've been the bitter ex-wife of a Forsaken warlock(who was previously human) I played for a while. I know some of the lore doesn't quite mesh, but it gave a motivation to RP beyond just "time to go kill 12 bears. Huzzah!". Doing it all in a beat-up tophat doesn't hurt, either,

Psychemaster

Everything in Moderation
Aug 18, 2008
I play as female characters for the sole purpose of pissing off people who don't like guys playing female characters.

P.Tsunami

Feb 21, 2010
Chairman Miaow said:
Sorry, I didn't intend any offence. What should I change it to?
Not a lot of offense caused, so don't worry about it. I'd suggest something such as just stating "gender identity" as a reason for crossplaying, and avoiding the negatively loaded word altogether.

superline51

Nov 18, 2009
If I'm going to be staring at a character for however many hours, might as well make it something thats more appealing to look at. I typically play as females in any game I'm given the choice, from Rock Band to Fallout to Fable.

lolmynamewastaken

Jun 9, 2009
i don't really know why i do it anymore, it just seems like tradition for me now to have a female protagonist... maybe it was because the cries of pain are funnier initially...

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Honestly, If Im going to look at a characters ass for 30 plus hours, Why not make it a nice ass?

Dumb reason, maybe, but other than some special attributes that female PCs have over male, theres no real difference, so thats all im left with.

Also, I can never understand the immersion arguement. What kills the immersion is the fact im not sloggying through a swamp or driving a Formula One racer, im sitting my ass on a couch.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Because it's AWESME when a scrawny, but pretty young adult girl.....jerks around big hunky morons......duh!
Also, the only time i played with a Girl character was Dragon Age. But i have a perfectly fine reason for that: I wanted to be a mage and Guys look GAY in robes. I don't have any problems with homosexuality......but I'd rather be a chick.

This thread baffles me btw. such a simple, but specific question and 18 PAGES OF COMMENTS? wtf?

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
I play female characters because I'm female.

My roommate says he plays female characters because he'd rather stare at a girl's ass than a guy's.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Depends on the game, I prefer the female characters in stuff like Blazblue because Rachel, Noel, Nu: V-13, Tsubaki and Miss Litchi are more in line with my play-style and they're a hell of a lot more entertaining to play as.

In Fallout: 3 and New Vegas, I chose a female character because I knew that it was essentially an RPG, so I was hoping that it would make the relationships funnier since nothing's better than traveling the wastes as the pink-haired, leather-wearing lesbian from Vault 101. I actually carried her over (in appearance only) because I wanted her story to continue and she ended up being a decent character with a little imagination applied.

I'm also a female ninja in Tenchu 2 because all of the models for the male characters looked terrible and boring.

Those are the only games I own where you have a choice in who you play as, hope this gives some decent reason for why I do it.

Freemon

Nov 18, 2009
In Borderlands I play Lilith because he powers kick ass.

In mass effect i don't like the male voice actor.

In mumorpugers pretending to be female usually grants me access to some great items that top level "pervs" are willing to give me.

Apart from that... there's no other reason I can think of.

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
I don't really mind playing as a female.
Sometimes it's forced upon me. I can't play Tomb Raider and not be playing a female character, and if I want to use a certain playstyle, well, I just might have to pick a female character in Tekken. And if I want to play Witch Elf in Warhammer Online, well, male is out of the question.
Sometimes it just looks nicer. And I don't mean because of the breasts. In Warhammer Online, I play a Zealot. The Male Zealot skins all look horrible, so I have a female Zealot. On the other hand, I prefer my Black Guard to be male.
And sometimes its just fun to roleplay as something else. I have done both male and female playthroughs on Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and Morrowind and Oblivion. I have had female characrer sin Dragon Age and Neverwinter Nights. It is just a different person to build a narrative around, so its a different experience.