Guys That Play Girls In Games. Why?

drdamo

May 17, 2010
Chairman Miaow said:
drdamo said:
2. I don't need to play a man to feel like a man. I admit, I'm no atlethe, but is a stereotypical physique really that awesome? Can you only identify yourself with your avatar if the sexe equals your own? I don't have the feeling I need to compensate for one thing or another so when the choice is there I'll go for pleasing visuals. However, I'm not saying I never play male chars, it really depends on how customized your char can be. If the option is there to make the char like myself, including the non-atlethic physique I prefer that, yet for some reason you rarely are able to play grotesque characters online.
As has been already said in this thread multiple times, no, I am not (insert example here) but I can relate more to male characters than female ones. I don't want to be them, and I don't want them to be me, but if I can't relate to them, the whole story becomes irrelevant. My character in Fable 3 was an obese selfish multimillionaire. I am none of those thing, but I can speculate at what being those things are better than I could a woman.
So if I understand you correctly you are only able to play characters you can imagine you'd be. Well theres the big difference between the both of us. I don't need to live, play or understand my character to enjoy a game. For me gameplay determines if I find a game enjoyable and the character I play is just a digital substitute so I can perform the actions I desire in said game I enjoy playing. If I wanted to roleplay my character I'd join one of the many D&D sessions in my hometown, but ofcourse thats me.
And an obese selfish multimillionaire female won't differ much from a male one. Same point of view, same desires, same goals, same attitude; only physical appearance will differ together with intimate relations (and even that isn't a fact as that certain female can choose to love other females just as much as the male variant can choose to like males).
You've already determined the primairy emotional expressions of the character so I don't really understand why the sexe is such a big deal.

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
Well in most games, Ill naturally pick the male simply because its how I roleplay.

In Mass Effect I picked male because of that, but with the added incentive that the male voice actor just does a much better job without sounding like a woman faking it to sound tough, which is the only other option in femshep. And while both characters have a sense of "neutrality" in their tone most of the time (a lot of the dialogue cant be spoken like regular characters without putting the player off Id say), I definitely cant stand how fake the femshep choice sounds.

As for why others play women? Mostly I think its fantasy fulfillment, and they play it in a "third person" style. Whereas I play the character, I think most guys playing women play it like more of an observer, especially in ME2, where the majority will play just for "hawt lezbeeann" kicks.

Ive only met a few guys who genuinely like the difference that roleplaying another gender brings. About 98% just do it for stupid kicks.

On the flip side, Id say about 60% of the women I know who roleplay men do it for the same genuine roleplaying reasons of playing something different, with the other 40%... Well, lets just say its because "slash" will become involved at some point.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Warty Bliggens said:
WanderingFool said:
Honestly, If Im going to look at a characters ass for 30 plus hours, Why not make it a nice ass?
LightPurpleLighter said:
My roommate says he plays female characters because he'd rather stare at a girl's ass than a guy's.
The Jakeinator said:
Because people would rather see the ass of a skimpy young female then an overpowered psycho space marine.
If you're automatically staring at your character's ass the entire time, you need to get laid. Most of my time playing World of Warcraft is spent watching a horned head bob up and down, despite the female draenei's notoriously exquisite badonkadonk.
I was going to try and write a retort, but reading "badonkadonk" *ROFL* prevents me from getting anywhere...

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
drdamo said:
Chairman Miaow said:
drdamo said:
2. I don't need to play a man to feel like a man. I admit, I'm no atlethe, but is a stereotypical physique really that awesome? Can you only identify yourself with your avatar if the sexe equals your own? I don't have the feeling I need to compensate for one thing or another so when the choice is there I'll go for pleasing visuals. However, I'm not saying I never play male chars, it really depends on how customized your char can be. If the option is there to make the char like myself, including the non-atlethic physique I prefer that, yet for some reason you rarely are able to play grotesque characters online.
As has been already said in this thread multiple times, no, I am not (insert example here) but I can relate more to male characters than female ones. I don't want to be them, and I don't want them to be me, but if I can't relate to them, the whole story becomes irrelevant. My character in Fable 3 was an obese selfish multimillionaire. I am none of those thing, but I can speculate at what being those things are better than I could a woman.
So if I understand you correctly you are only able to play characters you can imagine you'd be. Well theres the big difference between the both of us. I don't need to live, play or understand my character to enjoy a game. For me gameplay determines if I find a game enjoyable and the character I play is just a digital substitute so I can perform the actions I desire in said game I enjoy playing. If I wanted to roleplay my character I'd join one of the many D&D sessions in my hometown, but ofcourse thats me.
And an obese selfish multimillionaire female won't differ much from a male one. Same point of view, same desires, same goals, same attitude; only physical appearance will differ together with intimate relations (and even that isn't a fact as that certain female can choose to love other females just as much as the male variant can choose to like males).
You've already determined the primairy emotional expressions of the character so I don't really understand why the sexe is such a big deal.
Because regardless of what people say, both sexes are very different (generally and physically), I'm not saying either is better than the other but they are very different. Sex and gender are, always have been, and probably always will be a big deal in society.

Shydrow

Feb 8, 2010
I never play a female character unless the game makes me or cause they get cooler looking shit that looks better on them.

Besides those points the only time i change to play a female is when i know the female perspective in the game is different and worth playing. I would say fallout New Vegas but i could never get into that as either genders but my sister did and i guess you get more crap for being a girl.

TheMariner

Oct 20, 2009
In my case it's simply that the female characters seem far more badass in some cases. Also in the case of shooters where one can choose their sex, the women aren't as bulked up as the males making them a harder target (and in the case of Combat Arms, they don't have a second headshot marker between their legs).

But I kind of like my friend's reason: "what would you rather look at for 50+ hours, a guy's ass or a girl's ass?"

Illesdan

Sep 15, 2008
I personally refuse to play a female character when it comes to playing MMO's and table top RPG's; and here's why:

My first introduction to online gaming was playing RO ten years ago, which was a blast, but once you made your account, you were stuck with the gender you chose at the beginning of the account and you couldn't go back. Well, I picked female because they looked much better than the men from what I had seen, but...
I wasn't mentally prepared to be hit on EVERY SINGLE TIME I logged on. I had stalkers, I got rid of my chat window because I got an endless stream of 'a/s/l?' I got to the point I deleted my account, made a male account, and, voila! I could play in peace. I have to admit; people have changed alot from when I was first on the MMO scene, but I still cringe when I do venture to play one of my (rare) female characters to this day.

Around the same time (ten years ago), I happened to meet a number of people who played RPG's like 'Vampire' and 'D&D'. I have one female character out of all those years of gaming; a level 16 ranger named Dirona Blackwater. For some reason, other female characters I made for other campaigns die very quickly and in the lamest of fashions, so after awhile, I just gave up, rolled up males, and guess what? They don't die, imagine that.

Yeah, I know my profile says I'm a guy. I lie, get used to it. I still hate people trying to flirt with me, it just creeps me out.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
To quote my friend bill, "if I have to stare at someones butt for several hours, I'll play a girl"

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Usually female characters are simply better designed than male characters.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
I tend to not touch musclebound gorillas that call themselves men. I make characters of either gender, though I avoid the big truck with legs body type whenever possible. I've no problem playing males when it's characters like Commander Shepard or Mordecai (Borderlands), but if you expect me to play as something like Marcus Fenix, I'd rather take the chick.

Weirdly enough, I have no problem playing games as the Brick, but that's because he does nothing but scream at the enemies, and inconspicuous treasure chests, with his roid-rage induced bloodlust, which I find hilarous.

DC_Josh

Harmonica God
Oct 9, 2008
If i'm playing a third person game, i'd rather do it looking at the arse of a woman than a man, due to not being gay.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
I usually play male, unless there's a story / class specific reason to play female. Yes, it's nice to stare at something you're attracted to, but I play few games in third-person perspective. The front of a real person is much more interesting anyway.

Interesting Anecdotes from my previous experience as a GM in an MMO, which I generally used female characters to appear in-game:

-Players are less likely to ask you to raid with them, and less likely to badger you for items. One "no" is enough for most people when it comes from a lady.

-Players are afraid of using bad language, offensive jokes, and the like when they know it's a girl that holds the banhammer.

-Players respond faster to instructions from women. It's actually more efficient to use a female character to process requests.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
Cursed Frogurt said:
I chose to play as a female shepard in Mass Effect because I found the male shepard to have an extremely unemotional voice.
I have always been female Sherpard, so I do not even know what the male one sounds like.
For me, I like girly things... and girls.
I guess even look at fake fem arses for 20 hours is just more appellant.

Nihilism_Is_Bliss

Oct 27, 2009
I dunno why i do it...just the way it is meant to be...
Though if I'm playing a particularly immersive rpg, like fallout, i'll most likely be male, but most other opportunities i choose the female option.
Hmmm..they usually look nicer,
they're generally smaller so bullets don't hit as easily,
They dont have unpleasant man voices,
...they have boobs?
I dunno...

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
I don't do it often. The only time I did it regularly was playing as Draenei in WoW, because male Draenei look moronic.

warm slurm

Dec 10, 2010
I like Male Shepard's voice acting... am I the only one? :( I think Female Shepard is overrated, tbh.

I just like female characters more than the male characters, most of the time. Usually, though if you basically make a character from scratch (ala Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Oblivion, etc.) I WILL play as a guy, but if they're pre-set characters (Streets of Rage, for example), I usually pick the girl. They're normally quicker or at least "average" at everything, so that's the kind of thing I like to go for.

GreigKM

Dec 9, 2008
See, most male characters are slabs of meat, and I dislike that (Super Meat Boy being the exception) I like playing male characters in JRPGs, performers, and other games that give you more options for a male character than 'slab of meat' and 'slightly smaller slab of meat', that said, I will still play female on the 2nd or 3rd play of any game, for fun.