Guys That Play Girls In Games. Why?

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
Variety, mostly. In games where gender is more than aesthetic, female characters tend to be the fragile agile characters... which fits my play-style. Plus, in most games I'm required to play a dude, so I end up opting for the other gender when I get a chance.

It depends a lot on aesthetics too. Using WoW as an example, both of my Alliance characters in WoW are female because the male version of every race looks about 30 different kinds of stupid. Though on the flip-side, now that I play Horde, virtually all my characters are male.

GunstarHero

Mar 19, 2010
KalosCast said:
Variety, mostly. In games where gender is more than aesthetic, female characters tend to be the fragile agile characters... which fits my play-style.
Same as my brother!

We used to play dungeon crawlers, he'd be at the back spamming magic while I'd be the lunkhead running in with an axe. I could never see what I was doing, for Melf's acid arrow's particle effect aura!

imoutogetyou

Oct 25, 2010
Fallout 3 it was better to take a female character because black widow does an extra 10% damage to male enemies where as the male perk lady killer had the same effect on female enemies but you end up fighting a higher ratio of guys

evilartist

Nov 9, 2009
I always choose my own gender (male) for the first playthrough of any game, for the immersion factor. After that, though, I sometimes choose female for the sake of variety, and for the eye candy.

Besides, I thought it was hilarious using the Black Widow perk on Ronald Laren in Fallout 3. I'm, of course, referring to this:
Offering him a threesome so he can run off to his death trying to find Nuka Cola Quantum. Classic. XD

Eefness

Jan 25, 2011
For the most part is just ascetics for me. I play WoW a lot and to put it simply im a guy and i dont much care for looking at a dudes a** for hours on end ...... besides in my opinion the models are usually a lot better made on female characters.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
because i dont want to look at some guys ass for 10 or more hours in a 3rd person game ,other than that no reason.

Makon

Jul 9, 2008
Honestly, I play female characters primarily, though I am a man. That said, I play them for a couple reasons.

1: T&A. Yeah, female characters in games, in my opinion, generally receive the better treatment by the art department. If I am going to spend hours playing a character, I'd rather it be one I can enjoy watching.

2: Voice acting. A good number of times, like in Mass Effect (1 and 2, so far), the Male character has a rather bland and generic voice, where as the female counterpart has a better quality of voice-work entirely.

3: Attachment. I have a hard time getting attached to a male character of a game sometimes, and when attachment and involvement are one of the primary reasons I get sucked into a game, that becomes key. When something happens to a male character of mine, I just kind of roll with it. If it's a female character that something happens to, and it's well done, I feel legit emotion for the character.

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
I play a male character during my first play through of RPG's and the like because the character is usually modeled after myself. Later, after getting a feel for the game, it's setting and themes etc, characters are usually made to see what gameplay differences there are or just simply for a change.

For example my latest Fallout: NV character was female made with the NCR in mind, whereas my first character was male and stuck with Caesar's Legion. Evil is fun :D

Lone Lekgolo

Aug 28, 2009
I play females alot for varying reasons.

1. No choice (eg. Faith in Mirror's Edge)

2. To see what differences are in the story and or dialogue (eg. Female Noble 6 in Halo Reach)

3. Better looking avatars (eg. Females in most MMOs)

4. My friends don't want to play the "girl" (eg. Zoey in Left 4 Dead)

5. My play style, fast quick combos and lots of countering, in fighting games (eg. Leifang in the DOA series)

6. Starting stats (eg. Female Kajit Theif, Oblivion)

7. More useful skills and/or equipment (eg. Blackwidow Perk, Fallout 3)

8. Just plain intersting (eg. Female gangster in Saints Row 2)

9. To add some diversity (eg. having the only female character in a D&D group)

And Finally

10. Because I can.

Cecilie Orsi

Mar 28, 2013
Its quite common to see guys playing as women in rpgs/mmorpgs.Usually...USUALLY, so they can make these toons with oversized ass and the tits as big as the poor girls head.
Funny thing is that Im a woman, but i play as dudes. Hell even in MMORPGs Ive got male toons. In Fallout 1/3/New Vegas(F2 was a woman) my pcs were dudes.Ive grown up playing as male characters in the ol PS1,back then character custimization didnt existed and there few leading ladies.Only one that comes to mind is Lara lol

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
"Because I can." I don't really see any good reasons not to play a female. But I still play males.

I played a female on an MMO once. I just act myself and it's amazing how many dudes try to hit on me. I even had a female that was playing a dude hit on me.

But most of all it pretty much comes down to aesthetics, for me. Women are generally more attractive than men, so I pick the woman instead.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Cecilie Orsi said:
Its quite common to see guys playing as women in rpgs/mmorpgs.Usually...USUALLY, so they can make these toons with oversized ass and the tits as big as the poor girls head.
Funny thing is that Im a woman, but i play as dudes. Hell even in MMORPGs Ive got male toons. In Fallout 1/3/New Vegas(F2 was a woman) my pcs were dudes.Ive grown up playing as male characters in the ol PS1,back then character custimization didnt existed and there few leading ladies.Only one that comes to mind is Lara lol

Congratulations on Necroing this thread and Welcome to the Escapist! There are a few things you should know.

[user]Daystar Clarion[/user] is your ruler.

Stay out of the Basement.

Don't click on the red button unless you like effeminate boys.

And above all else, Blame [user]Kross[/user].

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
I don't understand the "I want to look at a girl's ass" argument. Are you saying that you spend the majority of your playtime looking at that ~2% area of the monitor where your character's butt happens to be?

Personally, I like to keep an even mix, with females for warrior and rogue types and males for spellcasting and ranged characters.
If I'm going to RP the character, I'll make it male as that is what I can most easily relate to.