Guys: What do you think it means to be a man?

amadhatter

Apr 15, 2010
If you don't know how to be a man, go and watch "Fight Club" and "300" four or five times. That'll sort you out.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I can understand the replies " a beard makes you a mean, having balls and a penis makes you a man" but when someone says "taking responsibility for your own actions", does that mean that if a woman were to take responsibility for her actions would also make her a man from that statement?.

What i think that makes you a man is being caring, a gentleman that shows compassion and empathy and that knows how to fight fair and know when to fight another day.

GestaltEsper

Oct 11, 2009
Shadow-Phoenix said:
I can understand the replies " a beard makes you a mean, having balls and a penis makes you a man" but when someone says "taking responsibility for your own actions", does that mean that if a woman were to take responsibility for her actions would also make her a man from that statement?.

What i think that makes you a man is being caring, a gentleman that shows compassion and empathy and that knows how to fight fair and know when to fight another day.
And if a woman were to exhibit such qualities?

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
GestaltEsper said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:

And if a woman were to exhibit such qualities?
Care to share your end of the bargin?.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
I would say in order to be a man you simply need the correct genitalia. As for the sterotype profile of a man, it's useless. Everyone fills their own niche; in life we find a purpose and a personality and we insert ourselves into them. There is no reason men should act a certain way overall and nor should women. Society might be changing, and it might be for the worse, but testosterone levels in men is not the issue.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
EightGaugeHippo said:
Cock and Balls my friend...

That is all.
Actually- even that can be ambiguous. What about people born with an XY chromosome, but doesn't form male genitals? What about biological females who think or feel in a stereotypically masculine fashion?

And even putting aside that, is a man less of a man if his genitals get mangled or destroyed in some sort of accident? What if he sustained the accident while doing a bitchin' guitar solo while jumping a gorge on a flaming motorcycle?

The thread poses a legitimate question that can't be easily brushed off.

Enrathi

Aug 10, 2009
This is what it is to me to be an adult (man or woman):

- Integrity
- Put others' needs before your own
- Keep your word whenever possible
- Know when to fight and when to walk away
- Stand up for what you believe in
- Help out your fellow Man whenever possible
- Don't judge others too quickly
- Don't lose your temper

Of course, these are just guidelines, no one's perfect and you'll never do everything right all the time. But I find these are a good way for me to live my life and barring extenuating circumstances, I try to follow these guidelines daily.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
having an XY chromosome pair.

Seriously being male is a Gender, not an ideal to aspire to.

it is a fact, not a belief.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
I agree with the OP on the adult part. A man is for me some male who ignores his fears whatever fears they might be.

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
Carnivore said it best in their classic song "Male Supremacy":

Between my legs I've got what it takes to be called a man
Fighting
Feasting
Fucking all I can!

(Humor, in case anyone missed it)

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
uzo said:
n00beffect said:
To me, being a man is not being "macho", or aggresive and competitive, or any of the sort. Being a man is being smart and determined. Not giving-up, no matter the ods. Following your dreams, and staying strong at all times. Being diverse, understanding, wise. Decisive, knowing you want, soughting after it, even if it means sacrificing who you are, for the better. Being an overgrown, masculine, stupid, arrogant, stereotypical prick doesn't really fall-in to my understanding of true manlinnes. Looks and demeanor are vain, arbitrary and superficial things, which carry little to no meaning at all.
Hmmm ... you're basically describing a perfect person, but not necessarily a man. If you listed those exact positive qualities to a woman .... what do you think she would say?

Don't get me wrong, it's a very positive outlook you have there but I'm not sure how 'male' any of that is. It's just generally 'good'.

You may be right there, I guess I did get a little carried-away, so much so that I failed to notice the American flag waving behind me, accompanied by the patriotic, compelling music sounding at the background, as I was writing that whole gibberish. What I was actually trying to get at, is that a man needs to be strong-willed and harsh at times, but at the same time emotional and understanding. Plus, I was kind of nagging-on about how I hate the stereotype of a man, you know the one, from the 90's and all. And yes, you're right, I don't see how all these qualities couldn't fit a woman, as well. I was kind of thinking that, while writing this, too. I guess the conclusion I can come to is, that it doesn't matter whether you're a man or a woman; we're all the same, when we get down to it. And we all possess the potential to be something more, than is expected of us. Thanks for correcting me, in a way.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
Prof. Monkeypox said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
Cock and Balls my friend...

That is all.
Actually- even that can be ambiguous. What about people born with an XY chromosome, but doesn't form male genitals? What about biological females who think or feel in a stereotypically masculine fashion?

And even putting aside that, is a man less of a man if his genitals get mangled or destroyed in some sort of accident? What if he sustained the accident while doing a bitchin' guitar solo while jumping a gorge on a flaming motorcycle?

The thread poses a legitimate question that can't be easily brushed off.
They way I see it...
What ever genitals you are born with determines your "practical" Gender.
If your cock and balls got mangled off in an accident, you where still born with them, your still male.
If you get a sex change, still male.

But the big thing everyone was missing, was that my post wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

killercyclist

Feb 12, 2011
i think (and to put it overly simply) that gender identity is just a construct of modern society, after all it isn't a penis that makes you a man, but i am from portland so that may skew my thoughts there.............

mandaforever

Feb 16, 2011
Grospoliner said:
To be a man, you must do what needs to be done when the time comes to do it without hesitation, equivocation, forbearance, or complaint.
^^yes. As a woman, I hesitate and think and get emotional about things when I do them, and that is a great trait that comes in handy. I like it when a man can do things when they need to be done, that to me is also a great trait, and I am very attracted to it because men possess a trait I do not. It's really that simple, and it's not a bad thing.