Guys: What do you think it means to be a man?

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
I believe a man is someone who is independent and does not let them self become a monster through greed or unjustified violence. I'm not talking about a man in comparison to a woman but for all the smart asses out there, yes you need the particular body parts to be a male man. Also, Andrew Ryan from Bioshock sums it up nicely "A man chooses, a slave obeys".

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
n00beffect said:
To me, being a man is not being "macho", or aggresive and competitive, or any of the sort. Being a man is being smart and determined. Not giving-up, no matter the ods. Following your dreams, and staying strong at all times. Being diverse, understanding, wise. Decisive, knowing you want, soughting after it, even if it means sacrificing who you are, for the better. Being an overgrown, masculine, stupid, arrogant, stereotypical prick doesn't really fall-in to my understanding of true manlinnes. Looks and demeanor are vain, arbitrary and superficial things, which carry little to no meaning at all.
Hmmm ... you're basically describing a perfect person, but not necessarily a man. If you listed those exact positive qualities to a woman .... what do you think she would say?

Don't get me wrong, it's a very positive outlook you have there but I'm not sure how 'male' any of that is. It's just generally 'good'.

Axel1105

Jun 13, 2009
You are man if in your genome lies a Y chromosome (also ze penis).

I always hated gender roles and gender stereotypes with a passion. My last girlfriend had a very stereotypical view of what constitutes a man and hated her for it. Every time she would say that one person or another needed to be "a man" I would cringe. H ave had pretty heated arguments over these kind of stereotypes.

The only thing i hate more than cliche gender roles is homophobes. (as in people who just hate on gay people)

Don't fully understand why. I'm straight but when i see (or i guess hear) a homophobic person I want to punch him in the face.

Loki Cain

Jun 3, 2009
It means you drink beer out of tankards, and you work in construction or your a lumberjack, or you hunt for all your food, you walk around with a buck knife strapped to your thick leather belt, you have rawhide shoes witch you killed and skinned your own cow witch you raised in order to make said shoes, your main food groups are beef, pork, beer, and gasoline, you can survive on a desert island with nothing but a swiss army knife.

I don't man... Google it?

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
To be a man am I supposed to defend the honour of my women, bring home the bacon, raise a family, be a role model, go to war, plough a field, fuck bitches, slap hos? I don't know. There's so many values from different parts of society. I work hard to bring home a decent paycheque. I care for my wife, who is unable to work due to long term illness. I have a penis. I consider myself a man, mainly because of the penis thing. Those other things are just things I do, not what I am.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
CheckD3 said:
Is it the power is his hands? Is his his quest for Glory? Or is it the way he fights everyday, so you can know his story? Or is it the woman in his arms, just 'cause she has big titties?

Being a man to me doesn't mean dominance, but it does come with an air of confidence in yourself. Even 'submissive' men have to have confidence in their own manhood

No, it's probably the titties
I don't want to sound like a queer or nothin', but unicorns kick ass.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
Liudeius said:
It means you have a y-chromosome.
Nothing else.
And no, transvestites aren't men/not men, they are transvestites. (to clarify, I mean woman>"man" transvestites are not true men and man>"woman" transvestites are not true women.)
Indeed. Some elements of "manliness" are involved (cars, sports, hitting things) if you're talking about Men rather than males, but that's basically all.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
in my opinion, you have a dick. i dont care if a surgeon gave it to you, or you made it yourself when you were in the womb, it counts.
unless you dont want it.

Dash-X

Aug 17, 2009
What does it mean to be a man?

Simultaneously everything and nothing.

Then again, there's always Rudyard Kipling's "If"... If you're looking for an answer that's a bit more concrete...

I will say this, though. I'd gladly give up my status as a man to become something more.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
A man is:
Tranquil as a forest
But on fire within
Swift as
the coursing river
With all the force
of a great typhoon
With all the strength
of a raging fire
Mysterious as the
dark side of the moon

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Gender roles are lame. Do away with them I say. The only thing that should make a man, a man, is what is between his legs. End of story!

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
Easiest way to identify a 'man' instead of a 'male' is how willingly they'll/we'll do something that we know will hurt us, and then not care.

Paintball is a good example. Every true man is up for it instantly, even knowing that you'll have bruises the next day.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Testosterone is usually upped by physical strain to help us survive, and in the current world physical strain is a very rare thing so the decline is no mystery there.

And manliness is quite the silly thing, but as I was shoehorned into it from the very start I am beyond the point of no return, hell in public I will feel the unyielding need to defend it.

So we come to the societal view of what a man should be, capable and responsible for everything but allowed nothing other then what is asked.