H.R. Giger, Creator of Alien's Iconic Monster, Has Died

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Whoracle said:
Met him twice (oh joy of friends of friends knowing people...). He was a really nice guy, his Art was great, and in certain fields of Art he laid the foundation.

I'm gonna miss him.
You lucky bugger, that's dang cool :p

OT: This is of course a massive shame, although I feel bad considering me and my girlfriend didn't realise that he was still alive :(

I've always loved Gigers work, even as a child; my mother has a load of Escher and Giger pieces around the house, which I really enjoyed, waaaay before I understood the significance of either, though Giger always intrigued me more. Not only is the content supurb, he combines classical pencil art with surrealism in a way that gains the best of both worlds, with none of the insane extreme preteniousness of surrealism.

My favourite piece, although I can't remember the name, nor can I find a picture was one with a deformed man on the right sitting on a sofa, while on the other side, a female/alien hybrid thing was traversing a floor made of babies.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
RIP Tiger, you gave me some of the most gloriously disturbing imagery that I've ever seen and fired my imagination with it

Aug 1, 2010
Well that's just depressing.

And not in the really neat disturbing, fantastic, fascinating way like his artwork. Just the normal kind of sad.

Since I first discovered his original, uncensored, non-movie artwork, I've absolutely adored it.

RIP in peace.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
His vision will never be replaced- I was saddened by this news today. Alien was brilliant, and consolidated a look that has influenced horror and sci-fi ever since, and was largely his doing.

RIP Giger.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
RIP Giger. I will have a drink in the Giger Bar to celebrate one of greatest and original artist ever. Especially creating the scariest alien ever also.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
A great modern artist has been lost. Alien may have never been as terrifying if it wasn't for Giger's creature design. His artistic vision was a blend of nightmares, sexuality, and organic technology that both frightened and intrigued us.

RIP, H.R. Giger. You will be missed.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
You gave more to the world than it could ever give to you. You will be missed.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
A fall? :( Ow. That's unfortunate.

Well, he will be remembered for times to come. At least there's that.

:/ I wonder if Bob or Jim will do a special episode on him.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
This doesn't seem right. Surely his death must have involved some unearthly monstrosity dragging him into unspeakable parallel dimensions...?

Rest in Peace, Mr. Giger; your creations live on in imagination.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I've always thought if someone has ever been to hell and back, Giger's the man.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Whoracle said:
Met him twice (oh joy of friends of friends knowing people...). He was a really nice guy, his Art was great, and in certain fields of Art he laid the foundation.

I'm gonna miss him.
You lucky bastard. :D

OT: Damn, it's a shame, such a unique art style.... I have a bunch of his drawings from a set you put into frames, guess I should go through them and find the best ones to frame.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Well, shit.

I thought he was older than that, TBH. 74 and he dies of "complications from a fall"? That's crap.

His artwork was truly unique and visionary. Alien would have been a completely different series without him.

Mar 26, 2008
Vale Mr. Giger. I was always in awe of your nightmare-ish artwork. Often imitated, never duplicated, you were a legend. Darkseed was one freaky-ass game too.