H1Z1 Hands On - Zombies Aren't The Problem

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
H1Z1 Hands On - Zombies Aren't The Problem

Lets pretend that the entire United States is filled with zombies.

Read Full Article

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I know that there are going to be a lot of comparisons between H1Z1 and DayZ, but Christ, that looks almost exactly like DayZ. Like almost identical.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
They literally just described DayZ... so.... yeah.

They could at least pretend like they aren't just trying to rip it off. Honestly, DayZ isn't my cup of tea because people are killing people for beans. Typically though, the biggest issue is that the water and food requirements in those games isn't realistic. You can live for quite a while without food and quite a while without even feeling any kind of weakness due to lack of food. It makes people look at their hunger and decide that death is imminent and they only way to survive is to kill other players.

Also, been a while since I played it, but the only food is food that was produced by human hands in the game, which is also not realistic. You always seem to be looking for canned goods, which doesn't make sense.

That said, I return to my original idea that ripping off DayZ and then acting like you came up with an idea is stupid. And they ripped the idea off of The Walking Dead.

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
Sounds like they're LITERALLY copying one of the earlier interviews that Robert Kirkman gave about the Walking dead.

Oh well...here's hoping they get it right.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
They're not pretending to have come up with concept. They've outright said that they haven't.

http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/23c82f/answering_h1z1_questions_i_saw_including_why_is/ said:
How is this different from Day Z? - saw this a lot. Not going to give some politically correct dodgy b.s. answer. It is a survival in a Zombie Apocalypse game. So is Day Z. They have made a brilliant game (first I might add). They have a great vision for it and can count myself and most of the people on our team as fans and contributors.
We're making the game we're making. Long term we plan on making this about a persistent world with a big landscape with thousands of players. The way we would like to see this roll out is much more like players building small enclaves or pockets of territory and hold out against a legitimate zombie threat that's ever present while others go it alone taking their chances.. These player built structures, forts and towns are one of the ways the players try to carve out some small space in a dangerous world.
We also want to make sure we have a deep in-game economy that is heavily dependent on crafting. Players will be able to become manufacturers.. sell bullets, arrows.. etc. The in-game economy will be entirely player driven.
So this is our take on the Zombie Apocalypse with a lot of friends and hopefully some great enemies both living and dead. We're proud to be up front and say we love Day Z and the job they've done and we hope they enjoy what we make too.
I can say this another way.
I love 28 Days and 28 Days Later I love World War Z I love Warm Bodies (oh come on you did too you) I love Night of the Living Dead.. and all the other ones. I love The Walking Dead.
And so do most of you. So sure. We're another Zombie Apocalypse game. Call it what it is. But our goal is to make ours fun, accessible, hard core and super, super deep. As time goes on we hope our take on the end of the world by zombie is fun and lots of people get to try it. You'll also have all the information you need when you start Early Access for $19.99. You can watch others stream it. You can decide to wait till we switch it to Free to Play. Either way you'll see our roadmap and you'll see if it's something that's for you.
Have a good one,
Smed

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
So the Zombies AREN'T the main antagonists/enemies and instead it's the other people? Hmm, sounds just like almost every other post-apoc setting ever made.

If you can't have an enemy that unites mankind together then your enemy isn't scary enough and you instead have real life where man is it's own worst enemy.

Gratz on your real-world simulator Sony...I guess.

PS. Why does every captcha have to be an advert?